So most of you werent even born then, but it was a major event at the time. Im interested to know what you Germans think of the unification of Germany...i know a lot of people complain that West Germany lost its wealth since the collapse.

(skintight stonewash jeans ftw)
Last edited by Sir-Shredalot at Oct 31, 2009,
Quote by JacobTheMe
Why is only one guy working? Lazy East Germans.

he was the only one with stonewashed jeans and a moustache. .

I was 9 then btw i remember it well.
As a german having lived in Berlin, I can safely say that it fucking sucks.
And it's very frowned upon to say so, but East Germany ruined Germany's social system, because all of a sudden, in '89/'90, West Germany had millions of people to cover under the social system, but none of them had ever paid a single Pfennig into it. Thus, there wasn't enough money to continue having the extremely gernerous social system Germany used to have, and now the government is cutting corners everywhere. I was on wellfare for a while (the so-called Hartz IV), and it's horrible.
They're completely re-modelling the education system, one that germany was once famous for, and turning it into utter crap.
So yeah, East Germany re-uniting with West Germany was awesome and all, but a couple of years later the fact that the country had no money was kindof a buzzkill.
Quote by CoreysMonster
And it's very frowned upon to say so, but East Germany ruined Germany's social system, because all of a sudden, in '89/'90, West Germany had millions of people to cover under the social system, but none of them had ever paid a single Pfennig into it. Thus, there wasn't enough money to continue having the extremely gernerous social system Germany used to have, and now the government is cutting corners everywhere. I was on wellfare for a while (the so-called Hartz IV), and it's horrible.
They're completely re-modelling the education system, one that germany was once famous for, and turning it into utter crap.
So yeah, East Germany re-uniting with West Germany was awesome and all, but a couple of years later the fact that the country had no money was kindof a buzzkill.

yeah i remember when germany was very minted going on holiday there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zXiClnK8oE
This is why the Wall should never have come down.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
Quote by CoreysMonster

Typical that someone from the west would say something like that...
Quote by Sir-Shredalot
he was the only one with stonewashed jeans and a moustache. .

I was 9 then btw i remember it well.

You remember his pants well?
Quote by blynd_snyper
So the Berlin wall fell right after halloween? Why didn't all the Germans on one side dress up as zombies and freak the everloving shit out of the other lot the moment the wall broke?

This.
e-married to Jack (bladez)
Quote by voleurz
Typical that someone from the west would say something like that...

I never said I was from the West
I'm not even German, I just live here.
Quote by blynd_snyper
So the Berlin wall fell right after halloween? Why didn't all the Germans on one side dress up as zombies and freak the everloving shit out of the other lot the moment the wall broke?

because they dont celebrate halloween in germany?
Quote by voleurz
because they dont celebrate halloween in germany?

yes they do, I've had 3 stupid kids ring my bell this evening already, asking for candy.
stop acting like you know anything about germany.
Quote by blynd_snyper

i think they must have looked like zombies, with their 2nd hand leather jackets, mullets and knitted jumpers.
Quote by CoreysMonster
yes they do, I've had 3 stupid kids ring my bell this evening already, asking for candy.
stop acting like you know anything about germany.

I was born there and they didn't celebrate when I lived there.

Quote by CoreysMonster
I never said I was from the West
I'm not even German, I just live here.

Its was the first thing you said.
"As a german having lived in Berlin"

it also sounds like you have no idea what went on in east germany and don't have any problem blaming them for your ignorance.
Quote by Karvid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zXiClnK8oE
This is why the Wall should never have come down.

they're throwing shit at him! I wish he had got square in the face and dropped into east Germany where the communists would just beat the shit out of him.
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by voleurz
I was born there and they didn't celebrate when I lived there.

Its was the first thing you said.
"As a german having lived in Berlin"

it also sounds like you have no idea what went on in east germany and don't have any problem blaming them for your ignorance.

yeah, I lived there last year, I was talking about the city being loud and ugly.
When did you live here? I've been here for over 10 years and there's always been halloween decorations and parties and stuff.

And I know quite well what went on in East Germany (you should know they cram that stuff down your throat 5 bajillion times in school), but I was only talking about why people say that the Wiedervereinigung ruined Germany financially, because it did make it impossible to continue conducting the social system the way W. Germany did. That's not ignorance, that's a fact.
Quote by CoreysMonster
yeah, I lived there last year, I was talking about the city being loud and ugly.
When did you live here? I've been here for over 10 years and there's always been halloween decorations and parties and stuff.

And I know quite well what went on in East Germany (you should know they cram that stuff down your throat 5 bajillion times in school), but I was only talking about why people say that the Wiedervereinigung ruined Germany financially, because it did make it impossible to continue conducting the social system the way W. Germany did. That's not ignorance, that's a fact.

born in dresden, moved to konstanz. lived there till 97 been living in canada ever since. The first time I even heard of halloween was when I moved to canada.

I did not take kindly to your unsympathetic bashing of the reunification of germany. My family still lives in east germany and actually went through what you are learning about (my unlce was in jail for 17 months because he sang a song criticizing the state and my mom has numerous folders full of transcribed phone calls etc etc.)
Quote by voleurz
born in dresden, moved to konstanz. lived there till 97 been living in canada ever since. The first time I even heard of halloween was when I moved to canada.

I did not take kindly to your unsympathetic bashing of the reunification of germany. My family still lives in east germany and actually went through what you are learning about (my unlce was in jail for 17 months because he sang a song criticizing the state and my mom has numerous folders full of transcribed phone calls etc etc.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hR5YNqE3K8
Quote by voleurz

and that was the second thing I said in my first post, it is generally frowned upon to say anything negative about the re-unification. I have said nothing but facts, and have said nothing about East Germany or the people who lived there.
My great grandfather died in Russia during WWII, and I also lived in the east part of germany, and I still think it sucks. I think the North sucks. I think alot of things about Germany suck, and just because people are sensitive about wars or the reunification, it's not gonna change the truth.
I'm GLAD germany was re-united, but I'm not gonna pretend it's been paradise since.

EDIT: sorry if I'm coming across as an asshole, but that's just a big pet peeve of mine
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Oct 31, 2009,
Quote by voleurz

He wasn't bashing, he was putting out the facts.

You can't take a walk through Germany without noticing how many people are living off of Hartz IV nowadays.
Quote by Craigo
Corey, if you're not German then what was your original nationality?

Hispanic American.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig

You can't take a walk through Germany without noticing how many people are living off of Hartz IV nowadays.

I haven't been back to germany since 03 so I have no clue what if anything that has to do with the reunification..
Quote by voleurz
I haven't been back to germany since 03 so I have no clue what if anything that has to do with the reunification..

you aren't very well informed, all of these new social system reforms, education reforms and all that bullshit are all still byproducts of the reunification, and a desperate attempt to keep the social system going as well as possible, trying not to let anyone fall through the net, but at the same time spending a fraction of the money they did before.
My uncle tells me he liked it better when the wall was up, just a little bit...

Well, I mean I can understand where he's coming from (still, I don't live in Germany) but that's like the South losing the Civil War and saying "That's okay and all but we sort of prefered the whole aristocracy and slaves thing..."

Quote by blynd_snyper

I would have done that...
Last edited by thewho65 at Oct 31, 2009,
Quote by CoreysMonster
you aren't very well informed, all of these new social system reforms, education reforms and all that bullshit are all still byproducts of the reunification, and a desperate attempt to keep the social system going as well as possible, trying not to let anyone fall through the net, but at the same time spending a fraction of the money they did before.

informed my ass. I dont know shit. I was 9 when I left germany.
All the info i get comes from the other side of the wall and what I remember from living there, (which includes the halloween bit cause if there was a way to get free candy you know this guy would have been all over it.)
Last edited by voleurz at Oct 31, 2009,