First of all, I'm sorry if this is posted wrong or if someone already asked this question. I hope it's ok.
I'm buying a guitar soon but I'm not really sure what I exactly need.

Here's what I have written down:

Guitar Tuner
AMP
Guitar (Epiphone SG Special II Ebony)
Jack - jack cable
A strap
Some picks

Is there anything else I'd need?
Last edited by mathiasj94 at Oct 31, 2009,
That amp is just a cabinet-not an amp.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
That amp is just a cabinet-not an amp.

ohlol

What about a Marshall MG15CD?
Yes, that's about it, I'm glad you've done your research, a lot of people jump to conclusions and by those horrible $60 guitar packages off of E-Bay and end up getting a guitar that falls apart and sounds acoustic (I bought one personally to see how they're like, I believe it was a 'Benson' or some crap like that).

Anyway, that will get you going, but you're obviously in need of an amp, and Epiphone's make beautiful sounds, they sound almost as good as the Gibson, I recommend two different types of amps.

Line 6 Spider III/IV - Some people say that Line 6 usually sound good on Fenders, but this isn't true, you can get some great distortion on the Spider series and it's sound presets take you through the decades of sound within different branches of Rock.

Marshall DSL series - Marshall amps and Gibsons/Epiphone's were made for each other (Marshall's are usually more pricey.)

That's about it, have fun!
If you want a decent low budget amp, get a Peavey Vypyr 15. They run around US $100.

And the usual:
What style of music do you want t play?
What's your budget?
Quote by EchoxOath
SG has officially won this thread.
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
there are no words to describe how truly epic this is.

Quote by SGstriker
I think you win the award for the coolest member of '08
Quote by SGburnsRED
If you want a decent low budget amp, get a Peavey Vypyr 15. They run around US $100.

And the usual:
What's your budget?

I'd seriously recommend the Line 6 Spider rather than the Peavey Vypyr 15, it produces a much better sound, is a more reliable brand and is cheaper imo.
Well I've owned both and I prefer the Vypyr over the Spider. And I have tryed out the new IV and it just seemed the same as the III.

Personal preference I guess.
Quote by EchoxOath
Quote by RazorTheAwesome

Quote by SGstriker
In all honesty, I dislike everything on the Spider besides Insane and Clean. Clean's okay if you EQ it right, which will take some time. Insane's pretty much the only distorted channel that gives you some dynamics, rather than sounding sterile.
Quote by J.Simpson
Yes, that's about it, I'm glad you've done your research, a lot of people jump to conclusions and by those horrible $60 guitar packages off of E-Bay and end up getting a guitar that falls apart and sounds acoustic (I bought one personally to see how they're like, I believe it was a 'Benson' or some crap like that).

Anyway, that will get you going, but you're obviously in need of an amp, and Epiphone's make beautiful sounds, they sound almost as good as the Gibson, I recommend two different types of amps.

Line 6 Spider III/IV - Some people say that Line 6 usually sound good on Fenders, but this isn't true, you can get some great distortion on the Spider series and it's sound presets take you through the decades of sound within different branches of Rock.

Marshall DSL series - Marshall amps and Gibsons/Epiphone's were made for each other (Marshall's are usually more pricey.)

That's about it, have fun!

Sounds good, thanks.

Quote by SGburnsRED

And the usual:
What's your budget?

Well, I found the Marshall MG15CD on the same site as I found all the other stuff on and the Peavey Vypyr 15 isn't on that site. So I think I'll stick at ordering at one site

And I'm probably going to play metal and such mostly, but I'd like something that can play almost anything.

I don't really have a budget. Around 500-600 USD, maybe. But remember, I live in Denmark and things tend to be a little more expensive here, so 400-500 USD would be more preferable.

By the way, this is what I have on my list so far:
Epiphone SG Special II Ebony
Boss TU-80 Tuner
Marshall MG15CD
LM Straps Nylonstrap Police Line
Supreme Pro Cables GC9 9 meter jack / jack
Clayton Tenacious D The Pick Of Destiny picks 6 pack
Quote by mathiasj94
Sounds good, thanks.

Well, I found the Marshall MG15CD on the same site as I found all the other stuff on and the Peavey Vypyr 15 isn't on that site. So I think I'll stick at ordering at one site

And I'm probably going to play metal and such mostly, but I'd like something that can play almost anything.

I don't really have a budget. Around 500-600 USD, maybe. But remember, I live in Denmark and things tend to be a little more expensive here, so 400-500 USD would be more preferable.

By the way, this is what I have on my list so far:
Epiphone SG Special II Ebony
Boss TU-80 Tuner
Marshall MG15CD
LM Straps Nylonstrap Police Line
Supreme Pro Cables GC9 9 meter jack / jack
Clayton Tenacious D The Pick Of Destiny picks 6 pack

http://www.thomann.de

Order from there. You wanna stay away from the Marshall MG and Line 6 Spider, get a Peavey Vypyr, or a Roland Cube. The MG and Spider sound awful. I Haven't been on the Denmark page on that site, but I know the British one has most of what you're looking for, including a vypyr :P.
Last edited by robhc at Oct 31, 2009,
Quote by robhc
http://www.thomann.de

Order from there. You wanna stay away from the Marshall MG and Line 6 Spider, get a Peavey Vypyr, or a Roland Cube. The MG and Spider sound awful. I Haven't been on the Denmark page on that site, but I know the British one has most of what you're looking for, including a vypyr :P.

This. The MG and the Spider are both popular and pretty appealing amps but their sound is really bad compared to others like the Vypyr and Roland Cube. Good choice with the Epiphone but I think you should reconsider the amp.

And as for the picks, if you can find them I would highly suggest the pack of 6 Dunlop Tortex picks, don't know about the ones you've chosen but you're better off with ones from a well-known and reliable brand. Doesn't matter too much, but picks affect your sound too, you know?
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
I only really think the Roland Cube 15 is worth it. Don't like the sound of the bigger ones, and if you're going up the range you're better off moving onto other combos. They're not a bad buy though. Also i do like the Peavey Vyprs, i think they're good all-round amps.

Another decent investment for a first time buyer is a metronome for use when practicing. In fact this is nigh on essential.
Since your just starting out you may find a line 6 pod studio gx usefull. It is a USB device you plug your guitar into and runs off your PC. It has loads of different amps and effects to choose from and also has presets for alot of popular songs. I use mine for home practice and its really easy to use. They are fairly cheap and once you get more into guitars you will know which real amp you want to buy.
Quote by mathiasj94

Trust me, the Vypyr is worth the hassle of ordering from another site. If you get the MG you'll regret it down the line.

As stated before order from http://www.thomann.de

Also, are there any local guitar shops you can buy your gear at?
You should try to find guitars in your budget and try them all and pick the best out of them all.
Quote by EchoxOath
Quote by RazorTheAwesome

Quote by SGstriker
Do NOT get a Marshall MG or a Line 6 Spider amp. Get a Peavey Vypyr 15 instead, it's a modeling amp so it has a very wide range of sounds, plus many effects.
I suggest a roland cube, whether its micro or more expensive. They sound great, due to the amount of recommendations, def go to guitar center and try before you buy. A lot of stuff is personal preference, you may love the sound of the sg, but hate the neck.
I suggest a roland cube, whether its micro or more expensive. They sound great, due to the amount of recommendations, def go to guitar center and try before you buy. A lot of stuff is personal preference, you may love the sound of the sg, but hate the neck.
Quote by hoochki

Yeah, I see.
I found this on Thomann.de:

EPIPHONE SG SPECIAL EB
PEAVEY VYPYR 15
10€ Gigbag
K&M 17540 Stand
HARLEY BENTON GT10 Tuner
THOMANN GITARRENGURT 2BK Strap
THE SSSNAKE GITARRENKABEL 6 metres
FENDER DELRIN PICKS X-HEAVY

For about 285 Euros.

Is that better than the previous?
And are those picks all right for some day one playing? (Going to buy some more picks soon after I buy the guitar anyway xD)
Last edited by mathiasj94 at Nov 1, 2009,
i'd pickup an extra set of strings also, as stock strings generally have been on thier a while.

I can't comment on the guitar/tuner/bag, but the vypyer is a good choice.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Quote by mathiasj94
I found this on Thomann.de:

EPIPHONE SG SPECIAL EB
PEAVEY VYPYR 15
10€ Gigbag
K&M 17540 Stand
HARLEY BENTON GT10 Tuner
THOMANN GITARRENGURT 2BK Strap
THE SSSNAKE GITARRENKABEL 6 metres
FENDER DELRIN PICKS X-HEAVY

For about 285 Euros.

Is that better than the previous?
And are those picks all right for some day one playing? (Going to buy some more picks soon after I buy the guitar anyway xD)

Looks good.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
Good Thanks, guys.

I think I'll wait with the strings and just ask at a guitar shop when the strings break or get too used.
Well if you wanted to save some cash. You could leave out the stand, the strap and buy a 3m cable.
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

Quote by Tatsumaru
Well if you wanted to save some cash. You could leave out the stand, the strap and buy a 3m cable.

True, but I'd want a stand soon anyway and a long cable is practical.
I am gonna leave the strap out too, because I don't really like the design

But yeah, I see your point. :P
Oh with the picks its probably a good idea to buy a few different size ones. (ie thick ones and small ones). You use different size picks for different styles of play and its also a personal preference as to what size you like. Since your new you wont know yet what size pick you will like so you will have to try em out to find out what suits you. Plus your gonna need spares anyway cuz they have a habit of dissapering :P
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

Quote by Tatsumaru
Oh with the picks its probably a good idea to buy a few different size ones. (ie thick ones and small ones). You use different size picks for different styles of play and its also a personal preference as to what size you like. Since your new you wont know yet what size pick you will like so you will have to try em out to find out what suits you. Plus your gonna need spares anyway cuz they have a habit of dissapering :P

Yeah, I know. I can't find a mixed package on Thomann (can you? xD) so I think I'll just take some hard/thick ones to start of with and just buy some at the music shop we have here
Okay. Now I changed my mind a bit again.. xD The SG is not in stock or even known to be shipped to them soon.

So I have decide (so far) to go for a Kramer Vanguard S-440S (What does RM stand for??? Is that the color?)
http://www.thomann.de/dk/kramer_guitarsvanguard_s440s_rm.htm
It costs 229 EUR and I think the design is REALLY cool And it's a Kramer, not a noname/shitbrand

And this gear too:
PEAVEY VYPYR 15 - 102 EUR
THE SSSNAKE IPP1030 - 2.59 EUR
PLANET WAVES PWS100 - 4.99 EUR
HARLEY BENTON GT10 - 10.30 EUR
K&M 16280 GUITAR HOLDER - 6.70 EUR
TENACIOUS D THE PICK OF DESTINY - 5.70 EUR
DUNLOP TORTEX STANDARD - 4.33 EUR
Last edited by mathiasj94 at Nov 1, 2009,
I wouldn't buy an amp yet. And I strongly discourage you from getting any Epiphone Special II models. They are worse than Juniors. Get a Standard or something used of higher quality. And I wouldn't get the Vypyr either. Just my two cents.
one thing, with picks you might want to buy a bunch of different thicknesses and materials to find what you feel most comfortable with. cant see the use in a stand right now when you have a gigbag, since this is your first guitar, but it's allright
Quote by CoreysMonster
you know why rabbits are smarter than cows?

fucking cows start moo-ing around for no reason, but rabbits keep their mouth shut until they actually have something to say.

god I hate cows.
Quote by CL/\SH
I wouldn't buy an amp yet. And I strongly discourage you from getting any Epiphone Special II models. They are worse than Juniors. Get a Standard or something used of higher quality. And I wouldn't get the Vypyr either. Just my two cents.

What about the Kramer Vanguard S-440S then?

Quote by zorbozate
Keep Your Arrin> Idea

Say what?
Quote by Wondergaurd
one thing, with picks you might want to buy a bunch of different thicknesses and materials to find what you feel most comfortable with. cant see the use in a stand right now when you have a gigbag, since this is your first guitar, but it's allright

Yeah, that's what I would have bought, but I can't find a package of mixed picks, only same sized/thickness ones on Thomann.. :S
VYPYR! its so worth 100 bucks and i bought mine at sweetwater.com and they have a free shipping and 2 year warranty that come with it.
this thing makes massive distortion models and the line 6 spiders are terds they dont sound as good even though a vypyr is not tube(15w). its a great starter amp imo
Yea, that's the basic stuff, heres some other things that might help
-stomp boxes/effects pedals
-extra everything
-instructional DVD (if you are a beginner)
Make sure you buy, like, an overdose of strings because its very easy to break strings your first time playing.

You might also want to tune it in other ways, a great site that'll help: http://www.howtotuneaguitar.org/
"How can I be lost when I've got nowhere to go"
- MetallicA
What to do at a metal concert:

know about the V for a first guitar. It is difficult to sit and play with a V shape, so you may want to go for a Stratocaster shape for your first guitar, very comfortable and easy to learn on. I would say go for this instead
http://www.thomann.de/dk/kramer_guitarsstriker_s424_cr_vsb.htm

Remember to get the guitar set up by a professional, it will make a difference between a poor playing guitar and an excellent one. You want a guitar to play nicely if you plan on really learning on it.
MIM Fender Telecaster
SX GG1 Junior (Les Paul Special clone)
Dillion Canada DXC 58 (DC Les Paul Junior)
Fender Joe Strummer Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Special
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
Quote by SkaJon
know about the V for a first guitar. It is difficult to sit and play with a V shape, so you may want to go for a Stratocaster shape for your first guitar, very comfortable and easy to learn on. I would say go for this instead
http://www.thomann.de/dk/kramer_guitarsstriker_s424_cr_vsb.htm

Remember to get the guitar set up by a professional, it will make a difference between a poor playing guitar and an excellent one. You want a guitar to play nicely if you plan on really learning on it.

Well, now I've bought the Vanguard, so too late.. xD But I don't think it's gonna be much of a problem Or at least I hope not

And getting my guitar set up? What do you exactly mean by that? Is it something, that's gonna take a lot of time or just a 5-10 min quick tuning?
no dude a set up is quite comprehensive. A set up refers to the adjustment of all the mechanical components of the guitar to a player's taste. So like adjusting the bridge, setting the action, checking the neck for bowing etc etc. It can make or break a guitar purchase. For example you can pick up a 2,000 dollar Gibson that can sound and play like crap if you don't get it set up. So it's really important for any player to get the guitar adjusted to their taste. So you'll want to get your work to a guitar tech as soon as you get it. You'll want to tell the tech that you are a beginner and need low action easy playing setup for learning.
here's a link
http://www.icepoint.com/guitar/Setting%20up%20your%20electric%20guitar/index.htm

Well congrats on your purchase, I dunno if you'll like the way the V sit in between your legs but hell you metal kids don't listen anyway
Have fun and get some good lessons!
MIM Fender Telecaster
SX GG1 Junior (Les Paul Special clone)
Dillion Canada DXC 58 (DC Les Paul Junior)
Fender Joe Strummer Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Special
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
Quote by SkaJon
no dude a set up is quite comprehensive. A set up refers to the adjustment of all the mechanical components of the guitar to a player's taste. So like adjusting the bridge, setting the action, checking the neck for bowing etc etc. It can make or break a guitar purchase. For example you can pick up a 2,000 dollar Gibson that can sound and play like crap if you don't get it set up. So it's really important for any player to get the guitar adjusted to their taste. So you'll want to get your work to a guitar tech as soon as you get it. You'll want to tell the tech that you are a beginner and need low action easy playing setup for learning.
here's a link
http://www.icepoint.com/guitar/Setting%20up%20your%20electric%20guitar/index.htm

Well congrats on your purchase, I dunno if you'll like the way the V sit in between your legs but hell you metal kids don't listen anyway
Have fun and get some good lessons!

Hehe xD Thanks for the help! ;D