I've been playing for about 2 years now (seriously for about 1), and I feel like I still can't get as relaxed as I should be while playing, especially on my acoustic. I know that's probably because you have to press harder on an acoustic, but sometimes on my electric I still feel way too stiff in my left hand. I've tried making sure I'm breathing, shaking my hands to relax them, clenching a fist and releasing, but nothing seems to work.

I'm not tense enough to feel any pain, but my left hand definitely feels tired after playing my electric for a little while, and when I play my acoustic (for example Babe I'm Gonna Leave You or Pinball Wizard) I'm straight up squeezing the crap outta the neck, but if I release any pressure the string won't sound. Is this just lack of finger strength? Should I keep playing this way until it just feels easier, or do I need to re-examine my technique?
Maybe you need new strings. Old strings, in particular acoustic strings, will feel stiff after they start to lose tone. Try throwing some new strings on, and it'll be easier to fret.
Quote by Jesus_Dean
There's bound to be a drummer here that can help you, otherwise check YouTube for tutorial vids.
Quote by yoduh4077
MY TIME HAS COME.
Quote by Jesus_Dean
^^^See! Told ya so!
Quote by yoduh4077
Maybe you need new strings. Old strings, in particular acoustic strings, will feel stiff after they start to lose tone. Try throwing some new strings on, and it'll be easier to fret.

Well I know that isn't the problem, I love the sound of new strings so I change them a lot. Just changed my acoustic strings in fact and it's still the same problem.
Quote by LicensedToChill
I've been playing for about 2 years now (seriously for about 1), and I feel like I still can't get as relaxed as I should be while playing, especially on my acoustic. I know that's probably because you have to press harder on an acoustic, but sometimes on my electric I still feel way too stiff in my left hand. I've tried making sure I'm breathing, shaking my hands to relax them, clenching a fist and releasing, but nothing seems to work.

I'm not tense enough to feel any pain, but my left hand definitely feels tired after playing my electric for a little while, and when I play my acoustic (for example Babe I'm Gonna Leave You or Pinball Wizard) I'm straight up squeezing the crap outta the neck, but if I release any pressure the string won't sound. Is this just lack of finger strength? Should I keep playing this way until it just feels easier, or do I need to re-examine my technique?

For acoustic, you need to fret the strings much harder. depending on where you fret them on the fret though, you won't need quite as much for the string to sound. If you're not already doing this, fret directly above the metal, this gives the string less room to vibrate against the fret and kill the note. (If you're already doing this, just checking. Could contribute to the problem.)

Also, as you continue playing in one session, your hands will loosen up and not be as stiff, that's why people warm up. How much time to you play in a single sitting?
Quote by -Blue-
For acoustic, you need to fret the strings much harder. depending on where you fret them on the fret though, you won't need quite as much for the string to sound. If you're not already doing this, fret directly above the metal, this gives the string less room to vibrate against the fret and kill the note. (If you're already doing this, just checking. Could contribute to the problem.)

Also, as you continue playing in one session, your hands will loosen up and not be as stiff, that's why people warm up. How much time to you play in a single sitting?

I usually play right above the metal on the fret, but now that I think about it I haven't payed much attention to it lately, I'll check on that.

I suppose warming up could be the problem. Usually when I play my acoustic it's at work, I'll sit and play for about a half hour to an hour, and then when I get customers I'll help them out and when the store goes back to dead I play guitar some more. I always warm-up, but not always to the point of relaxing, so maybe that's my problem. I'll try warming up longer and see if that helps. I'll let you know. Thanks!