Page 1 of 2
Ethanb08
No one in particular
70 IQ
You know how a lot of people have owned or do own a 6505 or 6505+. Well its a go to amp for metal and EVH fans that dont wanna spend $3000. So I owned an average 6505+ halfstack, sounds great to me... but something was missing... the looks. So I did some stuff here and there and got me a good looking 6505+...

I know what your thinking.. PICS or GTFO..

So heres my 6505+ in original form:

Here it is after I cut the 4x12 into two 2x12s and recovered it blue!:
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/3562/6505mod11.jpg[/IMG

Here it is from another angle in the same condition:
http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/8522/6505mod12.jpg

Then I though to myself... Its pretty cool... but then I saw a picture of a 6505 that Peavey made for the NAMM show. And I decided I was gonna do some more to it.

So this is it currently:
http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/5159/6505mod21.jpg

And this is it with some LED lights on... hehe:
http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/2188/6505mod22.jpg

And heres a side angle shot with LEDs:
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/421/6505mod23.jpg

So right now I have a finished 2x12 angled cab, another 2x12 straight cab awaiting parts to be finished. The 2 LED strips contain 24 LEDs each, so 48 in total are being lit up by a 9v battery, but I have a 12v wall wart on the way. The Vinyl covering cost about $70 CAD from my mom who is a seamstress who helped a lot with the covering. The LED strips were about $5 CAD total from Ebay, and the 12v adapter was about $4 CAD. I also bias modded it, and it sounds better than when I bought it, and I think it looks wicked.

Anyways I just figured I'd share this here. Feel free to ask questions or leave comments.
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Last edited by Ethanb08 at Jan 11, 2011,
mmolteratx
UG God
380 IQ
I don't care for the blue tolex but you did a pretty good job.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
SPBY
odin's blood fuels me
110 IQ
i like the black and blue combo, especially with the LED's, great job man

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
MatrixClaw
UG God
1,092 IQ
Cool man, not a big fan of that head style, but LEDs always make me happy
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Jinskee
FRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII-
350 IQ
i'm not normally a fan of blue tolexes, but you managed to pull it off!

awesome
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
mikeyElite
who ate my snackpack?
200 IQ
looks great. the only thing i don't really dig about it is the logo on the cab.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Ethanb08
No one in particular
70 IQ
Thanks for the comments everybody.
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
M Power
10 IQ
Where do you grab power for the LEDs? Did you just use an LED strip made for a 12 volt application?
boxcarmonument
Hates the Mesa haters!
60 IQ
I love it. Great idea with the angled 2x12. Love the blue tolex with the LED's. Great job.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
R.D
UG's Fat Midget
70 IQ
Love it, personally would have gone with a really dark red tolex, then put a dark purple LED in with the tubes.. but that's just me
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Ethanb08
No one in particular
70 IQ
Quote by M Power
Where do you grab power for the LEDs? Did you just use an LED strip made for a 12 volt application?

Yah the LED strips are made for 12 volt power supply. Right now they are being run by a separate power source from the amp, which is just a 9 volt battery. But in about a week I should recieve a 12 volt adapter which is just like a 9 volt wall wart but for 12 volt applications. So it will still be a separate power source from the amp.
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Ethanb08
No one in particular
70 IQ
Some of the pics with the LEDs lit up were kinda blurry so I took some new ones. Enjoy.

Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Last edited by Ethanb08 at Jan 11, 2011,
MatrixClaw
UG God
1,092 IQ
Man, those LEDs are sexy.

ima put some of those in all my amps from now on.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Rock Pig
\/ my passport photo
50 IQ
Very, very nice, although I'd move the logo on the cab if you can - important detail there!

Next I'm thinking new grill cloth

Hell, you've gone to this much trouble already, might as well have some tech genius mod the innards and score yourself your absolute ultimate amp.
maddnotez
70 IQ
Dude that is effin sweet....I want mine to look like that, minus the blue tolex...
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
ConfederateAxe
Thread Assassin
170 IQ
Holy crap that is t3h sex. All I did to mine was remove the wooden faceplank and replace the mesh with the logos intact. I got a pic of it in my profile.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
maddnotez
70 IQ
So hey after you saw the "namm"picture, what exactly did you do to mod it like that? looks like you just mounted an extra strip of wood or something across the top front???? and just added the logo to it??
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
TOMMYB22
UG Newbie
20 IQ
I know it's stupid, but move the peavey sign to the middle of the cab. It's bothering me.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Last edited by TOMMYB22 at Nov 1, 2009,
Ethanb08
No one in particular
70 IQ

Thats one of the NAMM 6505's that peavey had, and i saw this picture and i was all like... I got to do that.

So i took the wood faceplate off the grill and cut it into the curvy shape, stuck in on front of the grille, stapled it on, got 2 wood blocks stapled to the grille so i could screw it on to the head. then added the logos in the specific places. Then added 2 24cm LED strips.

To Rock Pig:
Where should i move the logo?... right now its in the place it would be if it was still a 4x12... should i move it a bit higher so its not slighlty hidden... or right in the middle... except I dont know if it will fit in the middle with the screw holes being so far out to the sides of the logo.
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
TOMMYB22
UG Newbie
20 IQ
Quote by Ethanb08

Thats one of the NAMM 6505's that peavey had, and i saw this picture and i was all like... I got to do that.

So i took the wood faceplate off the grill and cut it into the curvy shape, stuck in on front of the grille, stapled it on, got 2 wood blocks stapled to the grille so i could screw it on to the head. then added the logos in the specific places. Then added 2 24cm LED strips.

To Rock Pig:
Where should i move the logo?... right now its in the place it would be if it was still a 4x12... should i move it a bit higher so its not slighlty hidden... or right in the middle... except I dont know if it will fit in the middle with the screw holes being so far out to the sides of the logo.

that
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Rock Pig
\/ my passport photo
50 IQ
Quote by Ethanb08
To Rock Pig:

Yeah, I personally think it looks a bit off there. There have been a couple of other comments to the same effect too.
I suggest you check to see if it will fit in the center - if not, one of the top corners is probably your best bet. Failing that, I'd just remove it completely. But it's up to you, isn't it? Your amp, your rules - don't let us tell you what you think looks best!

It's just a niggle though - I have to stress that the rest looks great!
Ethanb08
No one in particular
70 IQ
Quote by TOMMYB22
that

The only problem is that the logos screw holes are on each side of its width, and if I were to stick a piece of wood there to give the logo something to screw into it would partially cover the speakers... and i'm not to fond of that...
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Rock Pig
\/ my passport photo
50 IQ
Quote by Ethanb08
The only problem is that the logos screw holes are on each side of its width, and if I were to stick a piece of wood there to give the logo something to screw into it would partially cover the speakers... and i'm not to fond of that...

I suggest then that you just either put it in one of the top corners or raise it just a little so the cab doesn't obscure it. Being that it's not exactly a subtle logo, I'd probably opt for the latter really.
apak
People who disagree die.
110 IQ
I lol'd.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
RDX1138
Eater of Babies
111 IQ
that is a pretty sexy lookin amp.
Mah Gear:
Ibanez RGR420EX
Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo
Yamaha F-310
Kustom Arrow 16DFX
ibanezguitars44
Tab Contributor
130 IQ
Quote by RDX1138
that is a pretty sexy lookin amp.

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu-
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
CullenT
UG's Official Burger King
80 IQ
Awesome looking amp! One question, I've been wanting to put LED's into the casing of my Peavey Ultra for a while now. How'd you do yours? Could you do a guide? I'd appreciate it.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
whytefyre_hawk
30 IQ
I was gonna comment saying I didn't really dig the color choice but the LEDs really spice it up.

A+ job man
(Gear in profile)

Yes I do like metal, no I'm not a close minded idiot.
Page 1 of 2