Need help once more from the ever reliable UG!

Looking to spend anywhere up to €170 on my first OD pedal from this selection of pedals off Thomann.

I'll be playing a USA Strat into a Fender Blues Junior (which I've recently decided to keep), doing bluesy kind of stuff, nothing too heavy!

Only other pedal I have is the Fulltone 69', which I've not payed much attention to for some insane reason. Anyway, been playing 4 years now and want to get into pedals!

Want to stick to Thomann/GAK or any online music store of their standard because I live in Ireland, and online shopping/shipping policies are still somewhat of a b*tch.

Cheers guys, and I do apologize for the typical "what thingy should I get?" thread!

Don't steal, don't lift
Twenty years of schoolin'
And they put you on the day shift
Have you got an artist/band tones you'd like? Or would you like a Marshally OD tone etc?

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Boss SD-1 , good blues tones + its a really good boost pedal
Vintage ICON Peter Green Replica Les Paul
Epiphone LP Standard
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 (New Valves )
Boss TU-2 & SD-1
EHX #1 Echo
best bluesy overdrive is the ibanez tubescreamer, hands down (the ts808/ts9...not those crappy cheap ones)
Quote by Chrisiphone
Have you got an artist/band tones you'd like? Or would you like a Marshally OD tone etc?

I'm really looking for a nice lead tone, if I had to say an artist I'd pick Rory Gallagher, loving his playing right now!

Don't know much on American vs British OD though.

Other guitarists would be; Duane Allman, Carlos Santana, Frusciante, Hendrix etc!

Don't steal, don't lift
Maxon OD808
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
I'd say the Rothwell Hellbender Not available on Thomann I don't think, but handmade boutique in Bolton!

E-Married to Funny_Page
if you can get hold of one the MXR custom shop OD is a very nice alternative to the tube screamers n tube screamer copys + is a bit cheaper lol
^^Its on GAK for about €160! Thanks man!

^^^Thats one that comes up alot, is there any setbacks with the Maxons or Ibanezs since they are reissues?

How about the Fulltone OCD, or the Proco Rat? They seem to come up alot as well.

Don't steal, don't lift
I'd say the Fulltone OCD.

I'm using it with a Blues Jr and a Strat aswell. (Classic 50's). And, also use it for playing the Blues.
Should do the type of tone you want very well.

I also used to use a Ibanez Tubescreamer 9 with it, and the Fulltone absolutely kills it.
Actually, I also bought mine from Thomann aswell
For the Hellbender, check on youtube on the proguitarshop reviews of it, just so you know how it'll sound

Also the Maxon OD808 is a very good pedal, i'm going to buy one of then when my paycheck comes in...eventually

Chrisiedit

Rothwell;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntepQvucDfY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is4sFNZeuwQ

Maxon;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iqymUQgnZw

E-Married to Funny_Page
Last edited by Chrisiphone at Oct 31, 2009,
Maxons are better than Ibanez.
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
The OCD is quite expensive though, I got lucky with the 69' fuzz because it was going cheaper than usual on eBay, raped with shipping though!

Listening to the proguitarshop Maxon review right now Will check out the Hellbender now.

Is the OCD worth the bump up in price, about €60?

Don't steal, don't lift
To the people saying tubescreamers (Or copies of them), are you stupid?

Strat + TS + Fender amp = SRV tone.
Not really a lot else going for you with that set up.

If that was what the OP was looking for, good suggestion.
But, as it isn't. Well. It's really an inadequate suggestion, sorry.

A Fulltone OCD would be a good suggestion for you, as it can do both Marshall-y tones and work as a boost that lets the Blues Jr. come through a lot more.

The Marshall part is heavily needed if you're going to do Hendrix or electric Rory.

Quote by Defunkt
The OCD is quite expensive though, I got lucky with the 69' fuzz because it was going cheaper than usual on eBay, raped with shipping though!

Listening to the proguitarshop Maxon review right now Will check out the Hellbender now.

Is the OCD worth the bump up in price, about €60?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4diQzCr87qA

ProGuitarShop demo of the OCD.

And, as I doubt the Maxon will allow you to do what you want, I'd say so. Yeah.

An even better demo of the OCD for blues:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FMwDc7bckY
Last edited by JilaX^ at Oct 31, 2009,
^Thanks man, listened to that one too, great vids.

Ok, just curious but, what do Tubescreamer copies do best?

Always been interested in the OCD, seems to have a great range, plus Fulltone have a great reputation.

But, I like the sound of the Hellbender as well, interesting how the ProGuitarShop guy said that it was more like a Marshall OD than the Marshall itself.

Don't steal, don't lift
Quote by Defunkt
^Thanks man, listened to that one too, great vids.

Ok, just curious but, what do Tubescreamer copies do best?

Always been interested in the OCD, seems to have a great range, plus Fulltone have a great reputation.

But, I like the sound of the Hellbender as well, interesting how the ProGuitarShop guy said that it was more like a Marshall OD than the Marshall itself.

Tubescreamers do boosting the best, that or tightening up your tone, if you're playing a lot of high gain stuff.

For me, the best representative for this, is Stevie Ray Vaughan. His tone is what I was really getting with this set up.
The Fulltone can do so much more, and if you're relying on this as your main pedal, you won't be stuck with one sound.

Can't comment on the Hellbender, never tried one.
Yeah, love SRV but it's a very definitive tone I wouldn't want to emulate.

In fact not trying to emulate anyone, just want a strong, reasonably versatile OD, OCD seems to have that quality, to me anyway as I'm listening to the reviews.

The next thing is the actual set-up of the pedals, I take it I will need to buy two individual power supplies for them?

Don't steal, don't lift
Quote by Defunkt
Yeah, love SRV but it's a very definitive tone I wouldn't want to emulate.

In fact not trying to emulate anyone, just want a strong, reasonably versatile OD, OCD seems to have that quality, to me anyway as I'm listening to the reviews.

The next thing is the actual set-up of the pedals, I take it I will need to buy two individual power supplies for them?

Same thing I was thinking, and looking for, at that time.
The OCD definitely brought the goods. I've made some of my guitar playing friends drool all over this set up.

Yes, unless you run them on batteries.
(Or, use a power block or similar. This wouldn't be worth it for just two pedals, though.)
Quote by JilaX^
Same thing I was thinking, and looking for, at that time.
The OCD definitely brought the goods. I've made some of my guitar playing friends drool all over this set up.

Yes, unless you run them on batteries.
(Or, use a power block or similar. This wouldn't be worth it for just two pedals, though.)

Brilliant! So just to clarify, a mono cable into the OCD, mono short cable between the two pedals, mono into the amp. 9v DC power supply for the 69', and the same for the OCD?

Don't steal, don't lift
Says 9v to 18v, meh, I'll sort it out another time!

Gonna take a few days to sort out the cash but I think I'm pretty set here!

Cheers for the help as always guys!

Don't steal, don't lift
Boss SD-1. I have it and love it, good bluesy tone. I also hear great things about the Pro Co RAT distortion pedal.

And also check out proguitarshop.com they have a much better pedal selection in my opinion. although, i'm not 100% sure if they ship to Ireland, though i wouldn't see why not.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
Quote by JilaX^
Ah.
I remember hearing some talk about one sound better than the other, some time back.

No problem.

yeah the OCD sounds more open at 18v.