Gigging: yes
Styles: Hardcore, pop/rock, progressive

For my hardcore band, I'm looking for a normal thick and heavy tone (Mastodon, Cursed, Shipwreck AD, etc), and also a good clean channel. Most of the hardcore bands I listen to usually use some sort of boosted Marshall, and that's why I'm considering the Bugera 1990 (JCM900 clone), as it has that sludgy high gain tone I'm looking for, but I'm worrying it about not having enough low end and maybe not having enough gain compared to the XXX, but it will be boosted anyway.

For the pop/rock band I'm in, I need just a generic hard rock tone, which both amps I know will do very well. Also need nice cleans.

They both seem like pretty solid amps and both have that mid-rangey heavy tone I'm looking for with nice clean channels. I just don't know which one to get.
Quote by BobDetroit
XXX. I abuse mine. Sounds great.

Might want to take a look at this guy's experience.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1222586

Also look at the model year from that guys experience, I haven't heard a single reliability issue from the 1990, 1960, or any 2009 Bugera.

If you can get the XXX for the same price as the 1990, I'd take the XXX.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Yeah, I haven't heard anything about a 1990 breaking down, and I'd be buying a 3 year warranty anyway.

And ebay has XXX's for $400-600 all the time, so I could possibly find one as cheap as the Bugera. And having a used amp that's in good condition does make me feel better that if won't break down on me, than a new amp whose company has a reputation for their amps breaking down.
Last edited by Ignite at Oct 31, 2009,
Quote by Ignite
Yeah, I haven't heard anything about a 1990 breaking down, and I'd be buying a 3 year warranty anyway.

And ebay has XXX's for $400-600 all the time, so I could possibly find one as cheap as the Bugera. And having a used amp that's in good condition does make me feel better that if won't break down on me, than a new amp whose company has a reputation for their amps breaking down.

I'd get the XXX then, it's more versatile then the 1990 and IMO, it's better in every category for what you want to play.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
xxx. go for it
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Go for the XXX.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!