Ok so this is the case I just found out that in America Boogie arent that expensive compared to this cold Sweden anyways. This is the case I'm the lead guitarist in my band and I just love the sound of a Mesa Boggie, we play heavy metal from Metallica to Pantera to Iron Maiden and maybe some Dream Theater sometimes. Ok so which would be the best for me to own because I'm stuck in between choosing the Mark V or the Dual Rectifier. What do you guys think if this would help my favorite guitarist is Kirk Hammett. The Mark V has a pretty nice EQ.

Thanks
Mark V, the mark series was used by both metallica and dream theater. The mark V also has a lot more versatility.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
I would personally go for the Mark V, awesome cleans and tight and defined distortion.
Has like 9 different amps in it I think. And switchable wattage so you can change from bedroom levels to live levels with the flick of a switch
Can we erase the past?
To allow our dreams to forever last?

Gear:

Mesa Boogie Mini Rec 25
Mesa Boogie Rectifier 2x12 cab

Jackson DK2, DK2M, DKMGT, SLAT3-7, DK1
Mark V is the nobrainer IMO. It is much more versatile and nails exactly the type of tones you want.
Switchable down to 10w, along with incredible versatility and tone shaping contols makes it a no-brainer for me.

Besides, i bet you could without much effort get a Recto sound out of the Mark, but i doubt you could get the other way around.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Mark V. The Dual is a great amp it just does not do leads well. IMO
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
They're two completely different beasts. IMO, the Mark V is the better choice for the lead guitarist for those bands. The Dual Rec with an EQ in front can get a killer metal rhythm tone though.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
The Mark V for sure. Although I'd look into a Mark IV, people are still have reliability issues with this first run of Mark V's. Word is that there will be a Mark Vb, like they have done before, not too long from now.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
i tried ot a MkV two days ago, and if im honest it made a very bad impression on me. I had been playing a Dual Rectifier before i tried it, and i found that it just would let me dial in a good lead tone. I know it can sound awesome because of Dream Theater and other bands but i think it will only let you do so if you put in the time and the effort. If you dont like to mess around for days on end with your tone, get the dual rectifier its a very very very good amp IMO and quite a bit cheaper.
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Quote by shredftw
i tried ot a MkV two days ago, and if im honest it made a very bad impression on me. I had been playing a Dual Rectifier before i tried it, and i found that it just would let me dial in a good lead tone. I know it can sound awesome because of Dream Theater and other bands but i think it will only let you do so if you put in the time and the effort. If you dont like to mess around for days on end with your tone, get the dual rectifier its a very very very good amp IMO and quite a bit cheaper.

The Dual Rec isn't really an easy to dial in amp either. Both of them take a bit of time to get used to but once you do, it shouldn't take very long to get the tone you want.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by shredftw

Very true, but it's pretty undisputed that its more a tweaker amp. If your a plug in and play guy it may not be for you but if you like to mess around with the many tonal parameters you can control, there are many awesome tones that can be had with this amp.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
I would say the Mark V. It takes a while to get the right tone, but when you get there, its a godly amp, the Dual rect cant even touch it in godlieness of tone. Just listen to Chevelle, the use the Mark 4 amps, and they have a godly clean distortion tone.
i've found a great lead tone on my dual's amber channel. that was before i had it modded, now it's only better, but what i'm getting at is it's possible to have a good lead tone and a great heavy rythm with the dual rec. at the same time, you're more likely to get a great lead tone and a good crunch out of a MkV, but they are pretty tough to dial in... that said, if you're looking at spending that much on an amp, i doubt you'd be unwilling to put forth the effort to get the best sound from it.
Quote by signedinbloodnz
I would personally go for the Mark V, awesome cleans and tight and defined distortion.
Has like 9 different amps in it I think. And switchable wattage so you can change from bedroom levels to live levels with the flick of a switch

Ok so the Mark V has a good heavy metal distortion?
It's still gonna be a while till I get a Mark V but I think it's worth the wait.
Quote by Sharkjaw
Ok so the Mark V has a good heavy metal distortion?

dream theater - black clouds and silver linings.

Petrucci used a Mark V to record that album and i personally think the distortion is killer.

But yes, without a doubt it has excellent distortion.
Can we erase the past?

Gear:

Mesa Boogie Mini Rec 25

Quote by signedinbloodnz
dream theater - black clouds and silver linings.

Petrucci used a Mark V to record that album and i personally think the distortion is killer.

But yes, without a doubt it has excellent distortion.

I'm sure it has a awesome Kirk Hammett. He used I'm pretty sure a MKIIC+.
Yeah and this amp has a MKII setting on it.
Could be wrong,
but probably right.
Can we erase the past?

Gear:

Mesa Boogie Mini Rec 25

Quote by signedinbloodnz
Yeah and this amp has a MKII setting on it.
Could be wrong,
but probably right.

Yeah it does, but Kirk Hammett actually used Mark III and today Dual Rectifiers. I think.
MKV... by a mile.

The Mark is a far tighter and more versatile amp than the Dual Recto.

However, they are both very different amps.

Also, you need to spend time tweaking the Mark. Tweaking the Dual Recto and the Mark is very very different. The Mark V to some extent can achieve Dual Recto tones, but its very hard to achieve the range of tones that the Mark is capable of with a Dual Recto.

Unfortunately, I will have to say that with a Mark there is no way to fully test it before you buy it. To some extent buying a Mark will be a blind buy, because there is no way to fully test its capabilities.

Also since each of the 3 modes on each channel is voiced completely differently from each other, you'll need to understand the nuances of each mode and channel to even begin to tweak the sound.

You'll actually need to read the manual and have it in front of you to tweak the modes because they are so different.

Anyone who tries a Mark at a shop and says it leaves a bad impression doesn't have the first clue of what they are doing on the Mark. Understanding a Mark and tweaking is a task that is calculated in terms of weeks and months, not minutes and hours.

I'll follow up on your PM tomorrow. It's 10:40PM here in Asia.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Nov 1, 2009,
Quote by Sharkjaw
Yeah it does, but Kirk Hammett actually used Mark III and today Dual Rectifiers. I think.

Mark IIC+ since Master of Puppets.