So, I'm pretty new to the art of bass playing, been playing for like 4 weeks or so.
I kinda know the basics, and I've been watching some videos on youtube about bass slapping, but, I think my strings are too loose, maybe I'm doing it wrong but, like, on youtube, when someone slaps the string the sound's kinda clear, but when I slap the string, my string just hits the fret, and it makes this metallic sound...
Should I go to a music store and get this checked?
i think you need new strings, also what amp are you using?
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Practice more, And also, Steel strings work better at that
Quote by CoreysMonster
Why, my pasty danish cracker, I believe you've got it!
The mechanics of bass slapping are fairly easy and straightforward, but the method is another story entirely. It takes a lot of practice and trial and error to get a good slap sound. If your string is hitting the frets, you are probably mashing the string instead of bouncing your thumb off of it to get a percussive sound. I am certainly no master of slap technique, but I suggest that you enlist a good teacher to show you the proper method. Barring that, get yourself a good slap bass instructional DVD. Ed Friedland's Slap Bass DVD is supposed to be one of the better ones.

Roundwould strings and proper EQ settings will help, too. Good luck and stick with it. You'll get it down.
Err, I'm surprised noone has said this yet, as it seems pretty damn obvious.

Anyway, you need to raise your action.
Quote by bodyheatseeker
That is simultaneously brilliant and obscene. I honestly don't know if I despise, or admire you.

Quote by Scutchington
If I had room, I would sig that entire post.

basschat.co.uk
try raising the strings (action) it worked wonders for me.
East Lansing High School
Class of 2013

Loading Haters
████████████████]
99% Complete