Saving up to get a Fender HSS, wondering what pick ups to put in it. For the humbucker I was thinking an EMG-81 but I dont know what single coils to use.

EDIT: Decided on a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates SH-PG1 for the Bridge

How about.

Bridge - Seymour Duncan SG-PG1 Pearly Gates
Middle - EMG SX Single Coil
Neck - EMG SA-X Single Coil
Last edited by B.Renegades at Oct 31, 2009,
I personally like the DG-20's.
Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-1960 Yamaha Orange Sticker Acoustic
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
Change your amp before you change pickups.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Why do you want EMG's? surely there are better options.

How about a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge. That would sound great.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by TOMMYB22
Why do you want EMG's? surely there are better options.

How about a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge. That would sound great.

There are like ten different JBs I found on the internet, which one do I use?
Quote by Dio10101
EMG's sound even worse out of a bad amp. Get a new amp. And EMG's are too pricy, go to guitar fetish or Stew-mac.

I'm not getting a new amp I love my MG.
Quote by B.Renegades
I like my amp :/

Everyone says that until they play a better one.

Assuming you play metal, Peavey is about to release the 6505+, which will be perfect.

If you play metal and other stuff, also check out the Vypyr Tube 60.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
personally by favourite fat strat humbucker is the seymour duncan pearly gates because it has a similar sound to single coils just a lot more high-output...i definetely would not go with the EMG especially if your still using a marshall mg
Quote by Raijouta
Everyone says that until they play a better one.

Assuming you play metal, Peavey is about to release the 6505+, which will be perfect.

If you play metal and other stuff, also check out the Vypyr Tube 60.

Oh I'm sorry you seem to have the wrong idea.

My Income: About 50 dollars a month if I'm lucky.

:/
Quote by B.Renegades
I'm not getting a new amp I love my MG.

Go play a good tube amp, then tell me you love your MG. I loved my Vox until I played my Fender, and the Vox is a lot better than the MG.
Quote by Alex Vik
Go play a good tube amp, then tell me you love your MG. I loved my Vox until I played my Fender, and the Vox is a lot better than the MG.

If I could afford a tube amp I would jump RIGHT on that.
Quote by B.Renegades
If I could afford a tube amp I would jump RIGHT on that.

Well, pickups are roughly 80 bucks a piece. 80 x 3 = 240, which is enough for a Vox VT15, and if you added 60 bucks, you could get a Fender Super Champ XD or some other nice amp.
Wait screw my JB idea, thats a terrible amp.

Get a new amp, it's the basis of your tone and spending 100 bucks on pickpus is just going to waste you 2 months of cash and give you very minimal improvement.

After trying an actual amp, you'll want to C4 that shit and burn it's remains.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Selling your MG, you could possibly get about $150, which would improve things considerably.

If you can go used you could also get a Peavey XXX combo for about $400 as well, which would destroy the MG.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by TOMMYB22
Wait screw my JB idea, thats a terrible amp.

Get a new amp, it's the basis of your tone and spending 100 bucks on pickpus is just going to waste you 2 months of cash and give you very minimal improvement.

After trying an actual amp, you'll want to C4 that shit and burn it's remains.

Whatever forget I even made this thread everyone is sitting here dissing the amp I have grown to love so much.
Quote by B.Renegades
Whatever forget I even made this thread everyone is sitting here dissing the amp I have grown to love so much.

Just so you know, even with new pickups, you won't notice a difference. We're just trying to tell you that getting a new amp will improve your sound a lot more than new pickups would.
Quote by B.Renegades

Of course you like it, but have you tried anything else?

When you want to improve your tone, your amp is the first thing you change. On a cheap, shitty SS amp like the MG you'll find that replacing your pickups will only put you a couple hundred in the hole, with a very minimal improvement.

I wish someone had told me that before. I got my Schecter thinking it would make my Spider sound better but it sounded the same. Theres a noticable difference on my current amp but before i just wasted time and money for very little improvement.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
We're not here to tell you your amp is shitty, we're here to tell you how to best go about improving your sound. Don't get offended if we come off a bit strong. There are a ton of people who come in here every day with a similar problem to you, and the answer is almost always 'get a new amp', especially with an amp like the MG.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by B.Renegades

This is like looking into the past for me. I was exactly like you. But then you realize that the more amps you play through and the more you visit GG&A everyone is right. The MG is a piss-poor example of an amp and changing pickups isn't going to help it. You're changing pickups because you're not happy with the tone you have right?

Well tone is about 90% amp so if there's something up with the tone guess where it's coming from. Honestly for the amount you're thinking of spending on pickups you could save a few months and get an amp that would decimate that MG. Don't just dismiss the idea because you like it now, because it'll be the best decision you ever make
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey