This is what I'm working with. I have a Blackheart 15 watt tube amp. It has 1/2 of the BitMo kit (just the tone and bright caps, no switch stuff.) Ruby Tubes el84-cz tubes (I think they are JJ's) and Groove Tubes 12ax7-c. It sounds great, but it is only so much. The local amp guru is putting a serial effects loop in for my MXR M108 EQ and any other effects I see fit. This will also allow preamp replacement as well, although I plan to add the tube preamp pedal in front of the stock preamp. The preamp tube I am using now has just enough gain to really hear the fingers if I drag them down the strings.

I really like the sound of the Sansamp GT2 California setting. For that matter, I really like the mesa sound it's based on. I prefer tube preamps and that is the one thing holding me back.

It looks like my 3 choices are:
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem SFX-04
Blackstar HT-DistX
Damage Control Solid Metal

I don't need the output on the Demonizer, and it's the same pedal otherwise as far as I can tell.

If there are any choices I am missing let me know.

If you want to know the sound I am going for, go to the Sansamp GT2 site and listen to the california example mp3.

It seems the SD is a bad choise as it lacks the gaain of the other two. Both of the others are well reviewed. One has a neat ISF knob, but I don't know if it is going to get me to the Mesa sound. The other has two tubes which makes me think 2>1.

Advise? Really want to pick this up soon so I can cover my weak electric skills with metal nastiness. Kthxbye
Agile 2800 Baritone (Crunchy Rail bridge/Fat Pat Neck) or Douglas WRL 590 -> MXR Super Comp -> -> MXR M108 EQ -> Peavey 5150 212 (Eminence Redcoat Gov) or Bugera V5
Sorry about the really bad spelling and typos. Wow. Stupid cell phone won't let me edit it either.
Agile 2800 Baritone (Crunchy Rail bridge/Fat Pat Neck) or Douglas WRL 590 -> MXR Super Comp -> -> MXR M108 EQ -> Peavey 5150 212 (Eminence Redcoat Gov) or Bugera V5
What is your budget? Ideally I would recommend something like an ENGL e530. Out of the ones you mentioned I kind of liked the Blackstar
WTLTL 2011
$600 is a little high. Haha. For that I could actually get a mesa preamp (5 12ax7's sounds sexy!0

Unfortunately, I'm a $200 flexible price kinda guy. $150 is better than $250, but $250 is doable.
Quote by PimpSmurf

I really like the sound of the Sansamp GT2 California setting. For that matter, I really like the mesa sound it's based on. I prefer tube preamps and that is the one thing holding me back.

The lack of tube shouldn't hold you back, Sansamp are great, but maybe you'd rather go for the california Character, has it is more focused on this one model, and offers more tweakings.
Just my 2¢
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Maybe get a GT-2 if you like the sound of it

That's the thing. My local music shops are pretty weak. Badass amp guy, but weak stores.

I haven't heard the gt-2 in person, which is my only hesitation.

Thanks for the california character recomendation! That looks right up my alley! I need to meet some local m,etalheads and see who has what, and has tried what. Arg!
Quote by PimpSmurf
That's the thing. My local music shops are pretty weak. Badass amp guy, but weak stores.

I haven't heard the gt-2 in person, which is my only hesitation.

Thanks for the california character recomendation! That looks right up my alley! I need to meet some local m,etalheads and see who has what, and has tried what. Arg!

I'd like to help you out there but i can't. I have a Sansamp but as soo nas it came in the mail, my guitar ****ed up so i really only heard it for like 3 seconds, infront of the amp, and with terrible EQ'ing. I suppose i could PM you when i do try it out butit might take a day or two.

But if you really want the Mesa sound go for the California characters series one, sounds really good. Also if youy want an actual Mesa tube preamp pedal, look at the Mesa V-Twin or Bottle Rocket on ebay. You should be able to get for for about 200.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...