I was wondering.. are shop demos of high end amps (like a mesa mark v) worth buying?
What exactly does a demo amp go through?
Just make sure everything works. The only thing to be wary of is the fact that a bunch of n00bs come through and don't use the standby switch, don't make sure a cab's plugged up, etc. As long as it works and you get a warranty with it, go for it. It's likely that you'll have to replace the tubes sooner than you would if you got a new in box amp though.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
Just make sure everything works. The only thing to be wary of is the fact that a bunch of n00bs come through and don't use the standby switch, don't make sure a cab's plugged up, etc. As long as it works and you get a warranty with it, go for it. It's likely that you'll have to replace the tubes sooner than you would if you got a new in box amp though.

I agree. So long as everything works its fine. It might need new tubes sooner because of all the abuse, so you might want to factor that into the decreased cost.
WTLTL 2011
Yeah I sent them an email asking about how long its been a demo for and if they provide any warranty with it (which I think would cover everything working). Also its a considerable decrease in price (almost a couple of grand cheaper and as you guys know, boogies arent exactly cheap in australia) which I'm pretty sure is cheaper than retubing it.

But its the fact that its so much cheaper that I'm concerned about its working state.
Quote by Ereleon
Yeah I sent them an email asking about how long its been a demo for and if they provide any warranty with it (which I think would cover everything working). Also its a considerable decrease in price (almost a couple of grand cheaper and as you guys know, boogies arent exactly cheap in australia) which I'm pretty sure is cheaper than retubing it.

But its the fact that its so much cheaper that I'm concerned about its working state.

You've got the warranty so I wouldn't worry too much. Sad to see your ENGL fund go to a Mesa :S
WTLTL 2011
Quote by Mark G
You've got the warranty so I wouldn't worry too much. Sad to see your ENGL fund go to a Mesa :S

+1 to the first part. As for the second part, I love em both. But I demand a NAD for whatever it is!
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by Mark G

Its still a toss up between an Engl Invader or Mesa Mark V. The main reason I'm leaning more towards the Engl is from the clips I've heard and features I've seen I fell in love with it.

At the same time I'm also still considering the Mark V because my guitar idol Petrucci uses them and his tone is pretty amazing to me. Also love the graphic EQ and the switchable wattage down to 10W which would be pretty handy for bedroom practice.

Frankly I would love either of them as both give amazing tones and versatility even if different voicing. I guess it overall boils down to whichever I can find at a cheaper offer which has been the Invader so far. However a demo Mark V is considerable cheaper than the Invader.
Quote by Ereleon
Its still a toss up between an Engl Invader or Mesa Mark V. The main reason I'm leaning more towards the Engl is from the clips I've heard and features I've seen I fell in love with it.

At the same time I'm also still considering the Mark V because my guitar idol Petrucci uses them and his tone is pretty amazing to me. Also love the graphic EQ and the switchable wattage down to 10W which would be pretty handy for bedroom practice.

Frankly I would love either of them as both give amazing tones and versatility even if different voicing. I guess it overall boils down to whichever I can find at a cheaper offer which has been the Invader so far. However a demo Mark V is considerable cheaper than the Invader.

They're pretty different amps IMO, I'd definitely try both before you buy. Both are pretty versatile and I like the tone of both though so if that's all you really care about I guess it doesn't really matter as much. Also, I think the MKV at lower volume on the 90w setting sounded better for most things than the 10w turned up a bit more. It's just tighter and more dynamic IMO.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Thanks for the tips. And yeah, I do love both the Engl voicing and the Mesa voicing. However will definitely try both amps as it is a hefty investment. Hard to find an Invader to try over here in Australia though as most stores have it only through special order.

Another issue is if I get the Invader I'd also have to spend extra to get a nice cab as I don't have a cab with me now which would add an extra grand or so I'm guessing. But with the Mark V I have the option of going for a combo. What do you think?
Quote by Ereleon
Thanks for the tips. And yeah, I do love both the Engl voicing and the Mesa voicing. However will definitely try both amps as it is a hefty investment. Hard to find an Invader to try over here in Australia though as most stores have it only through special order.

Another issue is if I get the Invader I'd also have to spend extra to get a nice cab as I don't have a cab with me now which would add an extra grand or so I'm guessing. But with the Mark V I have the option of going for a combo. What do you think?

The MKV combo sounds pretty nice but IMO, it's not quite as nice as it is with a big 4X12 or even a decent 2X12, although the same can be said about many amps. I really don't thank you can go wrong if you like both of their voicings. Both are reliable and have great tone.

Personally, I'd go with the MKV as I absolutely love the MK series. And if you get the combo, you can eventually just buy a head cabinet to throw the chassis in and use it with a real cab just as if you had bought the head. But YMMV.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT