My teacher recently corrected my bad habit of using bad left hand position and taught me to use the 'normal' technique (thumb behind fingers, middle of neck, flat wrist). The one problem is that my wrist curves up when I play the top strings (5th and 6th strings), especially with stretches. It gives me a bit of pain. Is this normal or what should I do different to correct it?
In my opinion, there is no "right way" to do anything with a guitar. Play it how you want to. The way I hold my pick would be considered by some as "the wrong way" to do it, but it works perfectly fine for me. So I say just do what works for you.
Quote by Adisturbedone
In my opinion, there is no "right way" to do anything with a guitar. Play it how you want to. The way I hold my pick would be considered by some as "the wrong way" to do it, but it works perfectly fine for me. So I say just do what works for you.

To an extent, carpel tunnel or tendonitis. My best advice is try to keep it straight, for barre chords and such, you physically can't, if you manage too, your a freak. Here was something I saw online. There's two ways to reach up to the top strings.

1.) Hold your hand out in front of you, wrist straight, palm up, fingers straight.
2.) Now picture a neck on your hand, To reach the top frets you can either
a.) Roll your wrist, your fingers should still be straight when you do this (you'll see a noticeable flex in your forearm)
b.) Or bend at your knuckles(you'll see very little movement in your forearm). When you do this some people still can't reach the Low E, add a slight amount of wrist, your hand should be virtually straight still.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by hoochki at Oct 31, 2009,