Hey everybody, havent been around here in while, but i'm in need of some help.
I've been gigging fairly often lately, and naturally have been working on getting a good tone, and developing a better ear for tone. I'll try to explain my situation and needs as best i can, but prepare for a wall of text.
I play a TSL60. that means three gain settings, two Eq's. Overdrive channels share EQ. The LEAD channel is brighter, so i have it dialed back as my mid-gain, bluesy tone. It can get very messy when dimed out on the gain. I crank the CRUNCH channel gain, and love the results for rhythm playing. Very clear, defined, sound by this amps standards. I would like to have more gain for lead playing. Right now, my solo boost is 2ft cable through my fx loop, level cranked. Sometimes it cuts through, sometimes it doesnt. My alternative for the last gig was to just screw the mid gain, just try to work coil splits and volumes a lot more. I cranked the lead channel, to get a good amount of gain and certainly a brighter lead sound. The mid gain stuff was very much missed. Some mid-gain intros turned into a messy fuzz fest on my crunch channel. SO. I'm thinking i should pick up an OD for a solo boost. I want to free up my loop for a delay and chorus aswell, delay only sound decent in the loop i find.
Crunch Channel will be my main rhythm sound
Lead channel gets dialed back in the bright, middy, mid gain (Especially useful for upcoming hendrix covers.)
Loop gets used for a loop.
OD pedal goes out front, to bump up volume AND a decent amount of gain.
Any reccomendations for a worthy pedal? Any ideas for other alternatives?
I do understand this is personal thing, and i plan on taking my sweet old time to find something i like, im just looking for some good starting points or different perspectives.
pickups are SD pearly gates and 59 btw.
anyone looking for current tone sample can check here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzF7tbFoZP0
this is with FX loop as solo boost, try to ignore the amp that our other guitar player is using...he's usually get a deville and a satchurator.
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
I'd think about a clean boost as well. A OD pedal is going to add some slight distortion, and color your sound a bit.

A good clean boost won't color your sound, and it won't add any artificial distortion. It will increase the level of your signal, so your tubes are pushed harder.

In the end they are both doing the same thing, which is pushing your pre-amp harder. The main difference is that the OD is going to alter your signal a bit, while a good boost will only amplify it. Its what sounds better to you that matters though.
well, thats kind of interesting. i'm kind of think i COULD benefit from something with some more upper mids, or more bite. That way the tone itself will have some cut, as opposed to being totally volume dependent. i will look at clean boosts though, what would you reccomend? the BBE Boosta Grande is the only one i've seen
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

LBP-1 is good and cheap. There's also a guy on E-bay who builds and sells boost pedals. they go for around $50 and he gets a lot of great feedback.
will def. check them out. thanks for the input man
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

Fulltone OCD.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Maybe an EQ pedal to put in your effects loop as a mid boost?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by wyldeshredder
well, thats kind of interesting. i'm kind of think i COULD benefit from something with some more upper mids, or more bite. That way the tone itself will have some cut, as opposed to being totally volume dependent. i will look at clean boosts though, what would you reccomend? the BBE Boosta Grande is the only one i've seen

i was kinda' thinking the same thing after reading your opening post.

a good ol' ts-type sounds like it would work great for you, and it doesn't seem to me like you need a mountain of gain on tap... nothing beats first hand experience letting your ears decide for themselves, but here's a handful of ODs that i've personally liked (besides, you said you were gonna shop around anyways):

the OCD mentioned earlier is a no-brainer, atleast give one of those things a listen before you buy anything.

maxon 808 seems to be the most popular of the ts9 clones... it's pretty damn close to the original. a bit more pronounced mid boost than most ODs to my ears, but a very nice, creamy OD overall.

i'm pretty much in love with my radial tonebone classic, but if you're looking for more bite, you might prefer the radial hot british... pretty much made to sound like an old school marshall set to 11.

t-rex MAB OD is a smooth as glass OD, seems to play off the strengths of the amp it's paired with... that's not exactly what's going on, but what i'm trying to describe is that when i used it with a dual rec, the tone was 10 miles wide, just thick and powerful. when i paired it with my buddy's jcm800 it seemed very creamy with the slightest mid-hump. strange, as i've not encountered a pedal that did this before, but very nice tones from both amps.

if the original (or perhaps i should say "reissue") tuescreamer-types just don't cut it for you, robert keeley does some really great od mods. it'll be tough to test one out before you buy, but i don't think i know of anyone who was dissatisfied with his work.

you might be interrested in a nice germanium OD. retroman's "beano" is a great one, though you might find that you'll need to dial your amp's highs down a bit. the beano adds a fair amont of brightness to your tone.

you might find that a lean boost woul work better for you. if that's the case, there's nothing wrong with the bbe you mentioned before, but i'd take a look at durham electronics' "sex drive," and you can add a little grit and bite with it as well (gain and tone controls, selectable soft/hard/no comression). keeley's katana is another nice one.
Last edited by GrisKy at Nov 1, 2009,
You need an overdrive, your telecaster is made of maple yes? it's extremely bright, don't roll your treble off, but eq some more bass in there. Use the OD to tighten everything up a tad.

There's been plenty of suggestions so far for different models, but grisky is right on the ball with the OCD, it'll settle that telecaster down nicely, if not make it sound a little generic.

PS: Tell your singer not to gel his hair up, makes his eyebrows look funny.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Quote by R.D
You need an overdrive, your telecaster is made of maple yes? it's extremely bright, don't roll your treble off, but eq some more bass in there. Use the OD to tighten everything up a tad.

There's been plenty of suggestions so far for different models, but grisky is right on the ball with the OCD, it'll settle that telecaster down nicely, if not make it sound a little generic.

PS: Tell your singer not to gel his hair up, makes his eyebrows look funny.

ACTUALLY the tele is a mahogany body, maple top. it's also got a PG/59 combo, which seems to have a drop in the midrange. i'm generally running a fairly bassy EQ setting, though i'm always changing things since we always play in totally different rooms, and most of the time i'm not mic-ed up. one week we're in a long, narrow room covered in hardwood (which gets soooo much louder when the sound starts moving. stage sound is brutally low for me..)and the next week we're outside.
i'll try to find an OCD, looked up lots of tone samples last night. anyone have an opinions on MXR's
i've used a hardwire OD before, didnt like it all that much..too colourful perhaps, and some knobs fell off within 48 hours. surprising, as they usually have great reviews
i know i will be able to try a green screamer, bad monkey, and perhaps some MXR stuff. i liked what i heard from the GT-OD on the dunlop site, though its not really used in the application i'm looking for. any opinions on that?
BTW we have practice today, i'll let the singer know...he's heard it before haha

EDIT- TO GRISKY^
thanks man. certainly a wealth of information. i'll look up as many sound samples as i can, though in my area its very hard to find a lot of those pedals. i've never actually seen a tonebone around, maxons will likely be an hour drive. OCD, not really sure.
Dunlop, BBE, Digitech are my local ones...in a couple weeks i may be able to hit up a different store, that i've quite liked in the past. i'm sure they carry ibanez, hopefully maxon. will try as much as i can there. and no,i dont need gobs of gain on tap. the tune is one of our less..gain-needing? ones. metallica esque riffery is a general way to summarize our gain needs, sometimes into slayer territory. that usually rare though.
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

Last edited by wyldeshredder at Nov 1, 2009,
i'm really liking the SRV sound, with the screamer. would be great to have a similair sound on top of my mid-gain. thats an 808, correct? def. thinking of adding a good amount of treble/upper mids to the pedals tone
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer