Hi, I am looking for a new guitar with a budget of about $1000 Australian. I play mostly rock from classic rock to some heavy rock like Wolfmother. I also play some blues. The amp that I have is a Vox Pathfinder 15r. My current guitar is an SX Strat copy. I really like the epiphone guitars and am thinking about a Les Paul or a G-400. Any help is appreciated. I wont be gigging with this so it's just for practice/jamming.
::::::Cherry Epiphone Les Paul Standard Custom Shop With Bigsby:::::
::::::Vox AC15VR::::::
Last edited by iTim at Oct 31, 2009,
Are you going to be gigging at all? If so, it would be smart to think about upgrading your amp. The majority of your tone comes from your amp, so don't rule that out.
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
a epi les paul studio, and have some change to put towards a new amp or effects pedals
Nah i'm not gigging with it. I just got the new amp so after this new guitar ill probably be looking for a new amp. I've had this crappy guitar for a while and wanna get rid off it to a friend.
G-400 is shit same with most the pauls. standard epi LP plus top might do ya, theres no consistancy so make sure the one ya buy is the one ya played! I havnt had a chance to check out those epi Wilshires yet but those might do the trick to. Fender mexi standard strat be a good choice.
Quote by innertom
a epi les paul studio, and have some change to put towards a new amp or effects pedals

+1 the charmeleon one looks

But for a 1000AU you could get a Epi LP standard plus and if your lucky and LP custom.

Im pretty sure the guitarist in Wolfmother uses a Les Paul but you will need a fuzz pedel as well to sound like them.

You could also try out a few superstrats. Mainly ibanez and jackson...
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

Hm well I can get a LP Custom for $1000 exactly. What do you think?
Quote by iTim
Hm well I can get a LP Custom for $1000 exactly. What do you think?

Well there RRP is $1500, so its a good price. Some people say they can be as good as a gibson studio. I would definitely consider it. It will be a hell of alot better then your sx. But of course try it out extensively and see if it "suits" you.
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

ok cool, i'll try it out.
Hmm well I've just found an Epiphone Les Paul '56 Gold top with the P90 soapbars. It's going for $1100 Aus from my local store. Worth it?
Hey Tim,
Andrew from Wolfmother uses an SG. Check out the Epiphone SGs. The Epiphone Tony Iommi SG lists at AUS$1200, but you'd be able to talk them down to $1k (there's plenty of Epiphone dealers around - I just got $300 off an Epi Wildkat by shopping around between the dealers).
Or get one of the base model Epi SGs, or an SG G400 (AUS$750) and upgrade the pickups - try a DiMarzio super distortion in the bridge. Don't let the "Super Distortion" name fool you, they're designed for blues/heavy rock 70's style.

Hope that helps mate.
Update: Just bought the G400 for $550AU down from $800AU
Quote by iTim
Update: Just bought the G400 for $550AU down from $800AU

Awesome man, put up a NGD!
lol havnt actually got it yet, waiting for my bonus to come through. I tried some out today and a picked a cherry finished one with extraordinary tone.