Okay now a while back I was asking around about the Jackson Kelly KE3, and decided to start saving up for one however I remember a couple of friends telling me that the Kelly is really head heavy and it's slightly annoying to play on the higher frets. Now I'm not in the best position to go to a store and try it out because I'm really busy, but now i'm a little nervous and i would like some suggestions on other guitars i can try out when i get the time, in case I find something wrong with the kelly.

So basically I'm looking for a guitar under $1000 that falls under these specs:

1) Floyd (I dont mind licensed as long as it's trustworthy)
2) Passive pups (Preferably seymour duncans)
3) Something that isn't head heavy
4) 24-frets & easy access to those frets
5) Thin neck
6) Good sounding tonewood (Alder, Mahogany, etc)

I'm not against any brands as long as it falls under these specs.
As much as it seems as I'm using this for shred I also am looking at versatility, so nice cleans are a must as well (Although I know that the tone is more from the amp than guitar).

AND don't worry about my amp, I have a few choices that I'm going to try out when I do find time to get to a shop.
Last edited by siverstorm at Nov 1, 2009,
Quote by siverstorm

AND don't worry about the amp, I have a few choices that I'm going to try out.

I'd definitely worry about the amp. Whats the point of buying a $1000 guitar and running it into a spider 3? If you really want to spend a grand, then buy yourself a nice rig. Once you have that taken care of then worry about your guitar.
Quote by Matt420740
I'd definitely worry about the amp. Whats the point of buying a $1000 guitar and running it into a spider 3? If you really want to spend a grand, then buy yourself a nice rig. Once you have that taken care of then worry about your guitar.

Like I said don't worry about the amp, I'm getting them both around the same time, also the thing is that whenever i'm playing outside of my house i'm always playing on my friend's Peavey Classic 30 because he let's me borrow it whenever I want XD right now the guitar is priority. I understand where you're coming from about my amp, but I just need suggestions for guitars to try out.
Quote by siverstorm
Like I said don't worry about the amp, I'm getting them both around the same time, also the thing is that whenever i'm playing outside of my house i'm always playing on my friend's Peavey Classic 30 because he let's me borrow it whenever I want XD right now the guitar is priority. I understand where you're coming from about my amp, but I just need suggestions for guitars to try out.

Okay. I see where your coming from. For me an amp would be priority, but if your just wanting guitar suggestions,

There is literally a whole heaping pile of guitars out there that will fit the specs you listed. So you have plenty to choose from.

Ibanez

Jackson

Schecter

ESP

B.C. Rich

Washburn

All these companies have some sort of 24 Fret Model with Floyd. Ibanez and ESP have gobs of them. My best advice would be to go to the biggest guitar store you can find near you when you finally get some time, and try out as many different models as possible.

Also, its been a year or so ago, but I played on a Kelly at guitar center before I bought my Warrior. I don't remember it being neck heavy, but I could be wrong. So I'd definitely try to check them yourself before you make a decision.
I tried looking for some reviews for this one, but got nothing....it's a little on the cheaper end so I'm wondering if it's worth it or not:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG420-Electric-Guitar?sku=501363

I also saw the Jackson DK2, Is the sustainiac anything special? or would the cheaper model suffice?
unless your too busy serving time in jail there is no excuse for not being able to go out and test anything your about to spend 1000.00 on.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
No I'm too busy as in dealing with homework and my part-time job. Not having any time to go out is a liable excuse. I don't have a drivers license and by the time I get to the store by bus after I've finished my other work it closes.

Plus is it such a sin to want to do some research beforehand? Maybe get some specific models down and see if the store has them so i can try them out?

So if you aren't going to answer my question don't bother posting.
Is basswood any good? I've heard that it's very sterile sounding. I should edit my first post, The body should be Alder or Mahogany or something.
Quote by siverstorm
Is basswood any good? I've heard that it's very sterile sounding. I should edit my first post, The body should be Alder or Mahogany or something.

Basswood is great. It sounds like you don't have any wood preferences if you say alder or mahogany since those are very different. Some notable basswood players are EVH, Vai, Satch, Gilbert, and Petrucci. There's a huge difference in good and bad basswood though. That's why it gets its bad rep. When people call it sterile, it's not a bad thing. It just doesn't have any characteristics of alder and mahogany that make them good. Would you consider this sterile?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IrWyZ0KZuk
Were the earlier models made of basswood? when I checked musicians friend for the body of the JEM it said that it was alder.

If that was basswood then I know good quality basswood can handle beautiful distortion, but how are the cleans? (I know it seems like I'm getting a guitar for shred, but I really want a versatile guitar that fits the specs I want) sorry to seem really picky, it's also that this next guitar that I buy is going to be my go-to guitar that I'll have for years to come, so i want it to be perfect.

I just checked out some vids on youtube, and for the few basswood clean guitar tests i found it was fairly nice, but I think its better to try them out.

I'll try the 1550M and the 1570 when I get to the shop, also is this RG any good?
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG420-Electric-Guitar?sku=501363
Its mahogany, but i want to know why its so much cheaper than the 1550 and 1570
Quote by siverstorm
Were the earlier models made of basswood? when I checked musicians friend for the body of the JEM it said that it was alder.

If that was basswood then I know good quality basswood can handle beautiful distortion, but how are the cleans? (I know it seems like I'm getting a guitar for shred, but I really want a versatile guitar that fits the specs I want) sorry to seem really picky, it's also that this next guitar that I buy is going to be my go-to guitar that I'll have for years to come, so i want it to be perfect.

I just checked out some vids on youtube, and for the few basswood clean guitar tests i found it was fairly nice, but I think its better to try them out.

I'll try the 1550M and the 1570 when I get to the shop, also is this RG any good?
Its mahogany, but i want to know why its so much cheaper than the 1550 and 1570

Basswood is a very good tonewood - it's got a very balanced output unlike the brightness of alder of the darkness of mahogany.

That guitar is that much cheaper than the RG1570 because the 1570 is a prestige model and has an Edge Pro trem in it, this means that the trem is better and the craftsmanship will but much higher, for my money it's worth the extra outlay.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.