So I'm on the quest to gain that harsh, trashy, alt rock sound from the 90s from Pearl Jam to Pumpkins to today's Garage Bluesy Rock. I've got the muff, tube screamer, and clean amp (Fender Deluxe) so I can get some pumpkins, some stripes / black keys, and young tone but am missing more of that Foo Fighters / Nirvana / Soundgarden type of sound. My guitar of choice at the moment is a Fender Strat w/ EMG DG-20s in it. I'm wondering if there would be an ever better choice of pickup or if I just need to take the Hi Gain amp plunge? What are your thoughts on obtaining this type of tone?

Lank
My Gear:
Guitars: Vintage LP, Martin DX-1, Epi Viola Bass,
Amps: Marshall JMD501
Effects: Empty Set right now
I would recommend a good distortion pedal. The Barber Dirty Bomb gets a pretty good Foo Fighters tone IMO... check out the Pro Guitar Shop video.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Definitely a nice rec. It pretty much nailed foo right at the beginning of the video and with multiple sound options at only 99$ it is definitely a pedal worth checking out. Thanks.

Lank
My Gear:
Not to mention that the demo was done through a Deluxe Reverb RI, so you can get pretty much that exact tone.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Right now my Pedalboard is as so...

Big Muff PI - NYC
Ibanez TS9
Boss DS-2
EHX Nano Clone
MXR Carbon Copy

So I can obtain some RHCP / Nirvana / Pumpkins / Stripes sounds
I'm just looking for some quality pieces to really help me better obtain that tone.

i.e. better pedals, pickups/guitar, amp

Lank

PS got some stuff on the christmas list (if my wife pays attention to it) - Digitech Whammy, MXR Micro Amp, T-Rex Reverb
My Gear:
dude get out your ds2, gain up full blast, tone at 10-11 oclock volume at wherever you want and in mode 1. insta-nirvana. it also helps to have humbuckers for stuff like nirvana and the foo fighters. i personally feel like single coils can't pull it off.
Quote by joe_k
dude get out your ds2, gain up full blast, tone at 10-11 oclock volume at wherever you want and in mode 1. insta-nirvana. it also helps to have humbuckers for stuff like nirvana and the foo fighters. i personally feel like single coils can't pull it off.

+1 You need some humbuckers ....
Look out for a les paul or a superstrat.
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

For Foo Fighters I would get a semi hollow with humbuckers.
Also, why do you need a reverb pedal when you have a Fender amp? No pedal is going to match that.
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
I'd like to have more than one type of reverb if possible, not that I'm a huge reverb man but it's nice to have. I've actually been eye'n up two humbucker guitars - Jaguar HH and then I'd swap the pickups or an Artcore Custom 103 for that semi-hollow body Foo Fighters sound. Of course I don't think Dave started using the Hollow Body until 2000 or 2001.

Lank
My Gear:
Quote by ILiKePiNeAppLeS
Also, why do you need a reverb pedal when you have a Fender amp? No pedal is going to match that.

The T-Rex Room-mate would like a word with you.
Quote by lank81
I'd like to have more than one type of reverb if possible, not that I'm a huge reverb man but it's nice to have. I've actually been eye'n up two humbucker guitars - Jaguar HH and then I'd swap the pickups or an Artcore Custom 103 for that semi-hollow body Foo Fighters sound. Of course I don't think Dave started using the Hollow Body until 2000 or 2001.

Lank

The Artcore is brilliant, I have the AS73 and it's my favorite guitar for sure.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

A Friend of mine just called me like 2 minutes ago saying he was going to sell has Artcore 75 for like 250$ so I think I'm going to grab that for sure.

Lank
My Gear: