Page 1 of 4
Anyone keen on setting one up?
Basically we'd agree on a book that we'd all read, and a date when we will finish it by....say 1 month (just to give busy people time to read)
then we all say what we thought of it, good, bad, why, what the characters were like, what the author did well, etc... nothing too fancy
Im fine if someone suggests a book they are reading in class
Ill start a new thread for each book, so roughly 1 new thread a month

Would that have much support? figured we'd need 4-5 commited members to start each book thread going, but anyone can join in.

Suggestions for first book would be good.

So I'll put your names here only if you are completely serious

Members:

Davrossss

Pagan Poetry
Last edited by davrossss at Nov 1, 2009,
I'd do it but the only books we'd ever read would be dumb like Fight Club or 1984.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
So suggestions would be nice......no unknown books stuff people can find

I was thinking 7 Ancient Wonders by Matthew Reilly as I havent read that one of his yet and the genre fits the sort of people on the pit but it could be unknown for people not in Australia
Last edited by davrossss at Nov 1, 2009,
Quote by davrossss

I was thinking 7 Ancient Wonders by Matthew Reilly as I havent read that one of his yet and the genre fits the sort of people on the pit but it could be unknown for people not in Australia

is there a certain genre of book were goin for?
Quote by davrossss

I recommend Atonement by Ian McEwan. I don't know if any of you are familiar with the book or the movie, but I found the book to be fantastic.
If not that book, Saturday by the same author (he tends to be pretty good). Saturday was a really good read imo.
the book is sortve war fantasy i've heard from my friends

but anything is good but nothing that the pit will lose interest in
I would if I could, but I can't, so I won't.

I just don't think I have the time to obtain the book and read it. But I'll probably hang around the thread just to see any books worth reading.
Quote by misterfarenheit
could be fun, count me in dude. i think we should start off with something simple and quick to read though, just to see how it all works out.

any suggestions I dunno any short books
Quote by misterfarenheit
the virgin suicides by jefferey eugenides, i already read it but its a damn good book and i want to talk about it with people

someone ITT mentioned ian mcewan, his books are epic and not too difficult to read, i recommend the cement garden

Very easy reads. You can probably read them in a few hours.
Just a thought came to me, a cool thing about internet correspondence is that people could write what they thought while reading the book, not just waiting until after they've finished the book to yak about it.

This would be fun, I'm uncommitted as yet if I will do this because I am just so bad at committing to these kinds of things, plus I have no ideas as to what books I would like to read. But I may change my mind, I'll stick this thread and see if I can follow along.
I'll join. Bookmarking now. I just hope I'll be able to. I have a lot of reading to do already with my school work but I will try.

Catch-22?
It was a graveyard smash.
I'm in.
What about An Oral History Of Rant Casey or whatever it's called?
I know you think that I'm someone you can trust.
But I'm scared i'll get scared and i swear i'll try to nail you back up.

Female SouperHero
Yeah sure why not.

I'll join this club, I like reading

Even though I've just bought two new books, looks like I'll be buying more!

(Which is always a good thing )
Well whad'ya know, it's a female on UG. D:

Shine On, Cast A Shadow.

Quote by hugh20
i love me some fundie christian gayboys

Quote by sglover34479
<3 You = smart.

So when is this going to start? It's November 1st. If we are going to do the whole "Read one book a month" thing it's best to just start today by at least assigning the book.
Quote by misterfarenheit
the virgin suicides by jefferey eugenides, i already read it but its a damn good book and i want to talk about it with people

someone ITT mentioned ian mcewan, his books are epic and not too difficult to read, i recommend the cement garden

I know this isn't the place for this but I did not find The Virgin Suicides that interesting. Aside from the whole chorus-narrator thing and the hundreds of characters, the story just sort of collapsed into itself; albeit, that did create a feeling of dread, maybe that was intended.

I'm in, though I can't really think of a suggestion. Vonnegut? But almost everyone here joining would probably have already read him.

EDIT: On second thought, I hear The Moviegoer is really good, I've wanted to read it and I think a majority of people here haven't read it either.
Last edited by thewho65 at Nov 1, 2009,
I'm definitely in.

I vote we read Insomnia by Stephen King. ;]
I think it's time for a change.

Sig v5.0 (approximate)
Quote by Holy Katana
I'll join. I say we read Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami, since I just bought it last night.

I'm in, and also This, since I have it sitting somewhere at home.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
I'll join, but I can't guarantee I'll read every time because I can't just go get books that easily. I have to hope the local libraries have something, basically.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

I'd happily join, but it'd be really nice if we read some not-so-famous/more obscure literature. i.e. not 1984/catcher in the rye/grapes of wrath etc.
I'm in, but theres a chance I wont be able to do it every month.
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
I'm interested, but I have waaaaay too much work to do for university. I have a 25 page paper to research and a few other 10-12 page papers to write. Not to mention about 3-4 other books I have to read in the next month and a half on top of all the research I need to do for the papers I'm writing.
Quote by Nitrate
I say we pick a book sometime soon

That's what I'm saying.
Count me in. but lets discuss it in say 2 weeks? Make sure its a famous book so everyone can find it in their local book shop/library.

i'm sticky-ing this.
Yours Sincerely,

Dr. Speakers
Last edited by speakers at Nov 3, 2009,
Page 1 of 4