Poll: Is it alright to buy a guitar soley on looks
Poll Options
View poll results: Is it alright to buy a guitar soley on looks
Yes
45 51%
No
43 49%
Voters: 88.
Well I play guitar in a two mand band (guitar Drums). We play heavily distorted, lo - fi, garage rock, type indie stuff. Right now im playing with this shit squire, but ive saved about 600 or so dollars. I wanna buy an epiphone korina wood flying v. Im gonna be blantantly honest, the only reason i wanna buy one is cause they look f-ing sweet and fun to play. The only problem is all my friends talk about them like they are strictly a metal guitar, i wouldnt know.

So Should i buy a flying v even though i'm never gonna play metal or the music its geared torwards?

if not, what other guitars should i look at?

and

Is it wrong to buy a guitar cuz it looks cool?
I started out with a Squier and ended up buying a used 90's Jackson King V Professional although I wasn't too sure. Best choice in my life. Go for it.
I've never heard of a flying V being strictly for metal. Unless it has EMG's in it or something it should fit your style just fine.
Neverender:SSTB 4/19

Goddamn this cursed iron fist. When I lose control!

[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']You, sir, win epically.
V's are not just for metal, Hendrix played a V sometimes.

and dont listen to Wlyde_OvrDrv strings are a pain to change with a floyd rose, and you should only get it if you're sure you're going to use it a lot
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
string change has never been a pain for any of my floyds.

I agree not to get one unless you plan on using it alot tho.

I'd say of course get the V, who cares what other poeple think/say? it's your guitar so if you like it than that's all that matters.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Your friends are stupid, a guitar's shape does not determine what kind of music can be played on it. If you like the guitar, then buy it. The better a guitar feels to you the better you will play on it.
I have an Epiphone Korina Explorer, and my friend has the V version you are looking for.

I can say: It is VERY versatile, though the V has a noticable thinner sound than the Explorer.

I am switching the pickups in my explorer to EMGs because they are too allround for me, so I'd say go for it! But first try one.
Mesa/Boogie Road King v1
Marshall JMP 2203 '78
Vox AC30 H2 Heritage HW
Fender Deluxe Reverb '65 RI
Gibson Les Paul Custom '57 Historic RI '05
Fender American Vintage '52 RI Telecaster '02
Fender American Vintage '62 RI Stratocaster '07
Don't listen to the person who said changing the strings with a floyd is a pain. You do it once/twice and you get the hang of it.
Quote by Wlyde_OvrDrv
dude get something with a floyd rose coz then you can do more things

NO!!! nooooooo! NEVER@@@@@@!!!!#@@#@#$$@##$%$

that was 100% necessary. Do more things? the only thing extra is ****ing divebombs. Floyds = pain in the ass i don't care w.at anyone says. I hate mine.

As for V's being for metal, i call bs. The lead guitarist from jet uses a v and they sure as hell arent metal. Infact the first guitarists to use V's were in classic rock bands. Go for it.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
Quote by Paradox5
Don't listen to the person who said changing the strings with a floyd is a pain. You do it once/twice and you get the hang of it.

It's not changing strings thats the problem. It's the fact that it takes 20mins + to change tunings.

Fixed bridge = 20 seconds
Floyd = 20 minutes

Fixed bridge = win???
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
Quote by SOADriff
It's not changing strings thats the problem. It's the fact that it takes 20mins + to change tunings.

Fixed bridge = 20 seconds
Floyd = 20 minutes

Fixed bridge = win???

HAIL U SIR!!

you really just convinced me not to get a floyd ever on my guitar!

KUDOS!!
i do plenty of stuff with my floyd that litterally cannot be done without one.

but like it said, if your not gonna use it don't get it. i use mine all the time, which is why two of my 5 guitars have floyd's.

switching tunings for me is easy because i have mulitple guitars in multiple tunings.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Last edited by Gundamnitpete at Nov 1, 2009,
Get the V!

There's no guitar which is strictly made for ONE music style.
Examples: Hendrix used a V, Slash uses a B.C. Rich, Hammett uses Les Pauls, ...
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
You should get a Jackson RR.
Quote by U-neek
Now that is an epic win right there!!!!

I made an epic win
Jackson RR24M
PSN: Livewire410
im sorry but out of all the guitars out there what guitar screams rock 'n roll more than a gibson flying V?

even the strat and LP arent as much rock 'n roll as the V
I´m in the same boat as you - I´m not really a metal player but I love those "metal" guitars. They´re great.
Quote by JAHellraiser
V's are not just for metal, Hendrix played a V sometimes.

and dont listen to Wlyde_OvrDrv strings are a pain to change with a floyd rose, and you should only get it if you're sure you're going to use it a lot

yeh i dont think i said string change are a pain i said you can do heaps of stuff wif em but anyways
Here's what i'd do, granted I had the money:
Get an Epi/Gibby Flying V. Following me here?
Take out the Stopbar. (you're thinking, dubya tee eff?)
Buy a Bigsby mount (now you're thinking, "that should have been number two, idiot!"
Buy a Bigsby.
Mount the Bigsby mount and the Bigsby. (pfft)
Viola. Blues flying V, which can be used for TEH BR00T4LZ and TEH BL00Z.

And for the record, a flying V with a bigsby for metal, would be pretty crazy IMO. You could be sweep picking and then start doing vibrato on the Bigsby and the crowd would be like "OH EM EFF GODZZ HE's T00 BR00T4LZ 4 M3H" *explodes*

ANYWAY....
I play a Flying V in a 3 piece, occaisionally a 2 piece. Works perfectly in that.
I have a seymour Duncan Phatcat single coil in the neck & standard Gibson 500T humbucker in the bridge, so am able to get quite a variation in tones, which you're gunna need in a two-piece.
The single coil sounds sweeter with cleaner tones.
It fits your genre man, V guitars are cool for metal and rock, the only silly thing would be playing jazz with a bc rich
haha it is not even close to being a metal only guitar! Joe Bonamassa plays one and he is defiantly not metal

Get the v screw what your friends think my next guitar will be a v right after i get a strat
Quote by scott58
Worst? I don't know. My buddies old MG 10 until we turned it into a cup holder and ash tray.