Hey everyone,

I need some tips on singing and playing lead guitar at the same time, I can sing while playing rhythm (chords), but I find it a lot harder while playing individual strings.

Thanks
Just practice. Learn the song so you can play in your sleep then slowly work out parts of singing until you get it
Gear
Ibanez GSA60
Jackson DXMGT
Schecter Hellraiser Tempest
Ibanez S470 DXQM
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000
Crate Halfstack and Crate 50W Tube Head
Boss MT-2, CH-1, CS-3, NS-2, & Cry Baby
Crate XT65R
Quote by Strat-O-Joe
Hey everyone,

I need some tips on singing and playing lead guitar at the same time, I can sing while playing rhythm (chords), but I find it a lot harder while playing individual strings.

Thanks

Difficulty is usually dependent upon what the passages are. If they are in unison, it should be farely easy. If your trying to sing counterpoint, then you'll need to firstr relax.
Then slowly approach one phrase at a time. Usually everyone does practical stuff. The rule of thumb is. "IF YOU CAN HEAR IT, THEN YOU CAN PLAY IT. You must first imagine that you can do it. Then approach it slowly ALL DAY LONG.
When you play and sing, think of it like you would if you played drums. Don't think of the vocal and guitar lines one whole substance, break down and organize each line in your mind (or look at them on a piece of sheet music or a Guitar Pro file and see how it is organized), and how it fits with the other line. Know how to play/sing each line separately.

Be aware of the beats when your hand will be playing notes and the beats when you'll sing notes, and when you'll be doing both at the same time. Practice the piece slowly so you get the coordination down correctly. Count to the music if it helps.

Hope this helps. I tried to explain a concept that helped me with this stuff, but it's hard for me to put into words. It just kind of came to me out of nowhere one day while I practicing.
Last edited by Dregen at Nov 1, 2009,
Quote by Dregen
When you play and sing, think of it like you would if you played drums. Don't think of the vocal and guitar lines one whole substance, break down and organize each line in your mind (or look at them on a piece of sheet music or a Guitar Pro file and see how it is organized), and how it fits with the other line. Know how to play/sing each line separately.

Be aware of the beats when your hand will be playing notes and the beats when you'll sing notes, and when you'll be doing both at the same time. Practice the piece slowly so you get the coordination down correctly. Count to the music if it helps.

Hope this helps. I tried to explain a concept that helped me with this stuff, but it's hard for me to put into words. It just kind of came to me out of nowhere one day while I practicing.

This
along with what has already been suggested, one thing that had helped was to continue singing even if its not coming out right, or to keep trying to play even if its difficult. You get alot more out of it in my experience.
if your lead picking, is just as rhythmic as your strumming (with concerns to down on down beats up on up beats) its nearly the same thing
Start with easier things like Nirvana and go from there..
I started with Come as you are..
It's pretty tough..
Believe it or not..
if it's a song ur making up, first record the guitar one one track, then play back and record the vocals on the 2nd track. put it into an MP3 and u will be able to hear them both together and how it will sound once u can pull it off, and it might help.