So I've been looking for a job for well over a month. Applied at everywhere I could think of and places I've never even thought to work before.
This include:
-Best Buy
-Multiple Gas Stations.
-Krispy Kreme
-Chuck E Cheese
-Fred Meyer
-Auto Zone
-Multiple Fast Food Joints.
-Hot Topic
-Zumiez
-GameStop
-Toys'R'us
-Dollar Tree
-Abercrombie and Fitch

I even attempted to get re-hired at an older job because I have ties to the management and even that didn't work because of complaints of new "person," recently hired, there was complaints since some hours were pulled for one person.

I asked many more places then that too, and they don't hire till 18. (I'm 17.)

So. I need ideas, where the fvck can I work? I am entirely out of ideas.
Anyone care to throw some out?
I know there's the whole problem of local places too. But just throw some out there!
As a reward for ideas.

Halloween Cookie
Quote by B4Dkarma
When you look at a guy and immediately go, "wow, what a douchebag"

that is what girls find attractive.
You find a corner, you find a job.

EDIT: oh, I actually thought of a serious answer... try ref-ing soccer or umpiring or something. not too hard to get hired.
Last edited by Niki (guitar) at Nov 1, 2009,
deal drugs
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
I'm not/cant deal(ing) drugs.
One of my close friends already supplies my whole city/town. (weed)
and I'm not about to try to deal harder drugs, as "desperate," as i am.
Quote by B4Dkarma

You can wank for pennies.

The problem is, your age. At 17 you're going to have big problems getting a decent job, especially in today's economic situation. Just relax and get studying so you can get a really good job in a few years.
<--- This is Wally. Not Waldo.

Gear List:
Ibanez RG570
Fender MIA Strat (in black, HSS)
Godawful Marshall MG practice amp

My Youtube
My godawful blog
Been there. I busted my ass to talk to the manager at the Gamestop I applied to last week. I never expected to get the job but it still bummed me out when I saw they hired the creepy kid from high school who talks to himself.
Quote by vulgarmachine
You can wank for pennies.

The problem is, your age. At 17 you're going to have big problems getting a decent job, especially in today's economic situation. Just relax and get studying so you can get a really good job in a few years.

i know 17 has a decent size affect on it.
As a defense though, most people don't hire younger people because they have school.
I'm homeschooled an can work any hours and I've been sure to make that clear.

Quote by Niki (guitar)
You find a corner, you find a job.

EDIT: oh, I actually thought of a serious answer... try ref-ing soccer or umpiring or something. not too hard to get hired.

I talked to a Recreation Center for something like this, never heard back.

Quote by GrandeAcure
Mow lawns?

It's winter, no lawns need to be mowed.
Quote by B4Dkarma

Whew. Local golf course, a restaurant, or a grocery store maybe? Other than what you have listed, I don't know of anything else that hires guys your age.

I've only had luck with one place and they take me in during the summer when I'm not in college. My boss rocks.
Quote by JMack
Are you asking if midgets can draw people that are themselves smaller than the average person, or if midget drawings in general are smaller?
Quote by toby3p0

This guy's invincible tonight.

Retail stores. Call'em, show up unexpected, call em some more, apparently that's what it's all about. Good luck.
Quote by Le_Bunny
Maybe you could improve on your cover letter and resume. Also, would you consider volunteering somewhere for experience?

Are you good enough at anything to informally tutor younger students or give guitar lessons?

I've offered a few places to just help out when they need it. Again, haven't heard back even just like a "hey wanna come in and help out for a bit." nothing.
Unfortunately not good enough to give lesson or tutor, as I can play..but I'm currently taking a step back from playing and jamming with friends to learn my "basics."

Quote by faint_spirit
Whew. Local golf course, a restaurant, or a grocery store maybe? Other than what you have listed, I don't know of anything else that hires guys your age.

I've only had luck with one place and they take me in during the summer when I'm not in college. My boss rocks.

My friend just got laid off with other employees from the only local golf course.
I've been trying Albertsons since June.
Winco/Costco isn't hiring.
But! I know of another grocery store I can try, so I'll keep that in mind.

As for retail, i've tried most places, a lot of them are 18. Others..like Sporting Good places, but they get people who actually know stuff about sporting goods and that's obviously their first pick.
Quote by B4Dkarma

Last edited by deucedeucemr2 at Nov 1, 2009,
Quote by deucedeucemr2

-Best Buy
-Multiple Gas Stations.
-Krispy Kreme
-Chuck E Cheese
-Fred Meyer
-Auto Zone
-Multiple Fast Food Joints.
-Hot Topic
-Zumiez
-GameStop
-Toys'R'us
-Dollar Tree
-Abercrombie and Fitch

That's your problem.... you seem to try and work at places that you WANT to work at.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by Soundyard
This guy's invincible tonight.

Retail stores. Call'em, show up unexpected, call em some more, apparently that's what it's all about. Good luck.

It's a start, but if you do it too often, you'll neverget hred there.... ever....

Life sucks dude, I've been looking for a job for close to 2 years.
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah was weird cause she liked us both but she loved him and for some reason she let me know beforehand.

i just wanted her poon and she wanted me to have her poon.

so i had myself some poon.
Not really.
I can name atleast 4 of those places and some that aren't listed that I've applied for that i dont want to work at.
Some of those I would have never even considered it, but had to considering my "first choices," were running out.
Quote by B4Dkarma

Quote by deucedeucemr2
Not really.
I can name atleast 4 of those places and some that aren't listed that I've applied for that i dont want to work at.
Some of those I would have never even considered it, but had to considering my "first choices," were running out.

Maybe you didn't consider them but you surely probably thought, "hey, why not? shouldn't be too bad."

EDIT: sorry, i'm being kinda douchy... at that age it'll be tough getting a job unless you know someone already working there and have them put in a word for you. I recommend just going back to school and doing volunteer stuff. Extracurricular activities help out a lot too. In my current job i was asked if i could do the graveyard shift alone and learn how to use firearms... guess what? I was in the rifle team district champion team in high school because of rotc, and not to mention that my bosses had family in the military; they automatically liked me despite that i was dressed in skating shoes, torn jeans, black band tshirt, a cap, and longish hair.

Last edited by evening_crow at Nov 1, 2009,
True, but fast food joints were very last choice, because I DO think it would be bad, but money is money.
Unfortunately, nothing back from McDonalds, Taco Bell, or Carls Jr.
Quote by B4Dkarma

This could sound like a dick move but could work. Go around to all those places you mentioned and observe the staff doing things they should NEVER do while on the job. That same day put in an application, the next day have a buddy of yours file a complaint(just make sure they know its not you filing the complaing) about said person who was doing said action that isn't allowed.

They get fired, they look at the most recent application which is you, bam you got a job.

May not be the nicest way to get a job but ya do what ya can.
One thing few people realize is that in the average town/small city, there are 100-500 businesses. Until you've gone to all of them, you should still be looking. Just my 2 cents. Me, too lazy to get a job. Besides, got school anyway.
Quote by Guitarfreak777
This could sound like a dick move but could work. Go around to all those places you mentioned and observe the staff doing things they should NEVER do while on the job. That same day put in an application, the next day have a buddy of yours file a complaint(just make sure they know its not you filing the complaing) about said person who was doing said action that isn't allowed.

They get fired, they look at the most recent application which is you, bam you got a job.

May not be the nicest way to get a job but ya do what ya can.

Cunning.

I like that.
Forgot to mention that the way you present yourself might even have more of an impact than your resume, and at that age that's a given. Also you've gotta keep calling back the businesses and give them a push... you have to stand out from the competition.

Oh... also look at the edit on my last post.

I think this is ****ing bullshit. Some jobs just have the highscool/university requirement for you to work there. Not any special education, you just need the occupation to be studying for the moment.
Well you obviously play guitar, are you good? If your at least competent, you may be able to teach little kids.

Yet still, you'd make more money dealing drugs. If your actually willing, ask you friend to hire you. Every dealer needs a scapegoat.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Last edited by TOMMYB22 at Nov 1, 2009,
I read the edit, and that's pretty nice how the firearms/rifle team worked out. As far as Extracurricular goes, I'll admit I haven't done much..if any at all. I quit team sports when I was younger because I couldn't stand having to rely on other people, so I went with solo sports. (skateboarding, rollerblading, and just shooting hoops/1v1, etc.)
I mean I'm a friendly person/face. I'm easy to get along with and easy to talk too, all my ex-mangers, reviews in a review box type thing and all my friends and family say that.
I present myself better then alot of kids my age and kids I see that HAVE jobs as well.

and yeah my dad is all about the pushing and being assertive. I try, I'm not really pushy to begin with, but I have been. I've gone back to a couple places, walked in, to see if anythings opened and it's been 'nope still not currently looking, we'll call you back if anything comes up though.' or 'we just hired on a couple people, if anything comes up though, we'll give you a call back.' etc etc.
Anywho, these aren't excuses in response to your advice, so to speak. Just what I've been doing.

And yeah I play guitar, I mean, I'm not bad. But sadly, I can only PLAY. I have nothing to really teach that a tab and some practice couldn't..aside from a few scales and what not.
Quote by B4Dkarma

Quote by deucedeucemr2
I read the edit, and that's pretty nice how the firearms/rifle team worked out. As far as Extracurricular goes, I'll admit I haven't done much..if any at all. I quit team sports when I was younger because I couldn't stand having to rely on other people, so I went with solo sports. (skateboarding, rollerblading, and just shooting hoops/1v1, etc.)
I mean I'm a friendly person/face. I'm easy to get along with and easy to talk too, all my ex-mangers, reviews in a review box type thing and all my friends and family say that.
I present myself better then alot of kids my age and kids I see that HAVE jobs as well.

and yeah my dad is all about the pushing and being assertive. I try, I'm not really pushy to begin with, but I have been. I've gone back to a couple places, walked in, to see if anythings opened and it's been 'nope still not currently looking, we'll call you back if anything comes up though.' or 'we just hired on a couple people, if anything comes up though, we'll give you a call back.' etc etc.
Anywho, these aren't excuses in response to your advice, so to speak. Just what I've been doing.

And yeah I play guitar, I mean, I'm not bad. But sadly, I can only PLAY. I have nothing to really teach that a tab and some practice couldn't..aside from a few scales and what not.

Well it's either that, or dealing drugs. I don't really care either way.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
Quote by deucedeucemr2

Well it seems like you've got the nice person thing going naturally which is a great headstart. it's just about standing out or knowing the right person. Right now try and search retail stores, (electronics, clothing, toys) because of the holidays. They'll start hiring soon if they haven't already (black friday, anyone? well, assuming ur in the US; could get at least a temporary till january). Go in, ask for an application and fill it out. Even if they aren't hiring atm go ahead and leave a copy of your resume anyway (tip: put a spray of cologne on it. not enough for people to think it's deliberate, but enough for it to stand out in people's minds). Also ask for the place's number (manager's is possible) and call back later. Try this pretty much everywhere. Don't be too specific about hours, position, and salary. You can talk about those with you're hopefully-new-boss once your in for an interview.

Oh, one last thing: always smile.

Last edited by evening_crow at Nov 1, 2009,
Well truth be told, I'm really only looking for a job because my friend made a stupid decision about his living-arrangements? I guess you could say.
Long story short, he moved out of town, his parents moved, he now has no place to live. (he's 20. steady job, but not enough to support himself.)
So, I've been looking for a job in a haste-like manner in hopes of helping him out and getting an apartment with him. Which was the original plan.
I've talked to a few places that said they'll be hiring at the end of November/early December for the holidays. But the point of getting a job was to get it quick.
So if I don't have one in the next month, hopefully i'll have SOME call backs from some retail stores I've applied too. or anywhere for that matter.

I suppose I'll also make more rounds at a further distanced mall for some retail stores. Though for most applications I've put "willing to work at another location."
As for speaking with managers and what not, I always call before going into get an app, and get one directly from the manager and make sure to call before turning it in, so I know it goes straight to the manager/hand it to them myself.
With a cheesy smile and chipper voice haha.

I guess if it comes down to it though and I've tried most places possible for me to work, my friend will have to find something to do with himself for the next month until more places are hiring and I can get a job.
From this thread though I have one idea, which was local grocery store I haven't tried..RECENTLY. So i wont get my hopes up, but just maybe!

Edit: radio shack also just popped into my head, I know their more formal, but still worth a shot. Though, probably 18 years old required. Will still check!
Quote by B4Dkarma

I must of underestimated the difficulty of getting a job.
Because, I'll admit, my first two jobs were handed to me pretty much.

"family," in the first job.
desperate need for people who could work right away at the second. +friends who worked there.
Quote by B4Dkarma

Yeah, same.

Surprisingly, my last job was easy, and I got it myself. I went to one of those group interviews at a job fair, cracked some jokes, and didn't act like I had a stick up my ass.

They practically hired me before reading my application.
McDonald's. I worked there for a year. It was so shit that I wanted to burn the ****er down. But I got AU$2000 for my entire time there (I got taxed like a mofo; if I'd been payed the tax too, it would've been more like $2500 or $2600). Basically my whole rig comes from working there (plus another pedal which is coming soon), and I've gotten 3 concert tix out of it (one of the concerts I didn't go to coz I waz sick ( ). So, basically, at your age you'll get payed a pretty decent wage, but whether or not they'll hire someone your age as a casual worker, I have no idea :\
Quote by ReeseKillsHIV
Yeah, same.

Surprisingly, my last job was easy, and I got it myself. I went to one of those group interviews at a job fair, cracked some jokes, and didn't act like I had a stick up my ass.

They practically hired me before reading my application.

You think that's bad? I got hired in both my jobs WITHOUT an application!!!

How good are you with people skills? Are you confident? I have NO qualifications ( left school early ), but i mangaged to get a job at a local supermarket. All i did was instead of just walking in, dropping my CV off, then going, i stopped and talked to the staff for about half an hour. Seriously, just turn on the charm. That, or sexual favours
Believe.
Local country club
Lifeguard
reffing soccer or baseball
Perhaps call your congressman and ask if you can participate in some stimulus jobs.
Quote by ultimatedaver
We're just trying to help man, cause it doesn't seem like you can get any pizza.
join the military; guaranteed pay check. im glad i joined because i always get paid. no matter what. i just cant go AWOL
F' IT
(whats the worst that could happen)
lol you applied at chuck e cheese. that would have been an interesting job
Quote by asator
YOU'RE A CUNT AND STUFF LESPAUL1216.

It's okay because whatever, forever