Alright, so I have a bunch of equipment lying around that's around ten years old, and now that I'm starting to get to where I'm going to be playing shows soon, I've been looking into what kind of rig I should get for my guitar.

Right now my setup goes like this:

Guitar -> MT-2 Metal Pedal -> Mixing board -> 1000 watt Harman Kardon amp -> speakers (about 3 feet tall...dunno the brand)

I was looking into getting a tube amp so I could get my tone and distortion from an amp rather than a 70 dollar pedal, but I needed everyone's opinion first.

Do you think I should get a tube amp or other things for my guitar rig? If so, what specific brand or model would you recommend? I play hard rock / heavy metal music.
1000 watt amp? Is it a PA? I'd assume so.

Whats your budget?
Name a few of bands with your favorite tone?
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Yeah, it's a PA.

I'd like to spend around $600, but I'd be willing to go up to maybe $800-$1000 if it's going to last me a really long time.

I'm not really familiar with brands of amps, but I really like the tone of guitarists like Tony Iommi (his modern tone, not the vintage), and Zakk Wylde. Basically, I don't like the super fuzzy mid-less tone like Metallica - I like something more powerful, full, warm, and bass-y, though with a lot of treble as well. I tend to keep my mids higher than most metal guitarists.
Last edited by DarkN00b at Nov 1, 2009,
haha, I'm in the same bandwagon mate,
Nasty midscoops belong in the 1980's when they died with thrash, sadly many modern bands still think they sound good.

I'm not sure about Iommi now... but i know for a fact in the 70's he was using Marshall Plexies and JMPs

Zakk Wylde uses a modified Marshall JCM800 2203.

Ummmm, 800usd? That'll get you a few nice amps secondhand actually.

Marshall JCM2000 (DSL or TSL) (Will sound like a stock JCM800 with a little bit more gain, but more processed that a boosted JCM800, not quite the same "Roar" if you know what i mean)

A Peavey 6505 (Is american voiced, think along the lines of Bulled For My Valentine, In Flames, those sorta tones)

Could probably find a Mesa/Boogie Single Rectifier (again american voice, but rectifiers tend to have a "flubby" bottom end without a boost to tighten them up)

Overall, If Zakk Wylde was your biggest influence, i'd go the TSL/DSL
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson RD Artist

Amps:

Framus Cobra

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Thanks for the feedback!

I checked Iommi's site and he uses an EMGL Powerball or something...do you have any experience with these?
It also says he uses Laneys but I hear they're ridiculously expensive.

What about speakers/cabinets, though? Is there any specific kind I should get?

EDIT: Found this off of the same site:

2 steel cages, each with fixed castors and containing 2 Marshall 4 x 12" speaker cabinets.
2 amplifier rack cases, each containing 3 Marshall 9005 50 watt stereo tube power amplifiers.
1 control/effects rack case, containing 2 (1 as a spare) Marshall 9001 tube pre-amplifiers, various effect units and a Pete Cornish relay effects switching unit.

I dunno if that helps or not. Of course I'm not trying to COPY his sound, but I want to get something that gives me the kind of tone that I described.

Definitely, though, I don't understand why so many people scoop the mids so much! It sounds so much more powerful with 'em!
Quote by DarkN00b
Thanks for the feedback!

I checked Iommi's site and he uses an EMGL Powerball or something...do you have any experience with these?
It also says he uses Laneys but I hear they're ridiculously expensive.

What about speakers/cabinets, though? Is there any specific kind I should get?

EDIT: Found this off of the same site:

2 steel cages, each with fixed castors and containing 2 Marshall 4 x 12" speaker cabinets.
2 amplifier rack cases, each containing 3 Marshall 9005 50 watt stereo tube power amplifiers.
1 control/effects rack case, containing 2 (1 as a spare) Marshall 9001 tube pre-amplifiers, various effect units and a Pete Cornish relay effects switching unit.

I dunno if that helps or not. Of course I'm not trying to COPY his sound, but I want to get something that gives me the kind of tone that I described.

Definitely, though, I don't understand why so many people scoop the mids so much! It sounds so much more powerful with 'em. xD

laneys are actually quite cheap, its engl's that are expensive
haha, beastly rack setup...

Dw man, you don't need that, nobody does. Got a choice.

i reckon for your tone, either a Peavey 6505 (it will have a more compressed sound due to the 6l6 power tubes)

Or a Marshall DSL50/100.

Now go out to your local guitar store, play both of them, ask for help if you need help eqing them, then go and shop around on the secondhand market.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson RD Artist

Amps:

Framus Cobra

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Alright, will do, thanks so much for the info! You saved me hours upon hours of research (and probably a good chunk of money!)

I have another question though, if you don't mind. I've never owned a tube amp before so I'm not really familiar with this, but will I need some kind of distortion pedal along with the amp to get the sound I want? Or, does the overdrive on the amp itself do all of that for you? I apologize for asking so many questions, but I suppose everyone had to ask at some point. Like I said, I've got the Boss MT-2 already, but I dunno if that's something that professionals actually use or not. I've got one of those digitech hot-heads as well lying around that I never use.
If you buy a lower gain amp or a amp with a lose tone you could buy an OD to tighten up your sound or to add some gain, but if you buy yourself a nice amp you will never need your MT-2 again.
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
I'd look into a Marshall JCM800 - 100w of pure Marshall roar! Be prepared to pretty much lose any hope of getting a nice clean though.

Awesome, I looked into that today and that thing's a beast! I think I'll end up going with this one...

...now where did I leave my $1,000?