Poll: Do you prefer low-budget or high-quality mobile phones?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you prefer low-budget or high-quality mobile phones?
Low-budget: All I wanna do is call and text!
82 26%
Value for money: I don't care about iPhones and Blackberries, but I won't buy cheap crap either.
177 56%
High-quality: If it doesn't have a touch screen, I'm not touching it!
56 18%
Voters: 315.
Page 1 of 4
Hey all!

I'm making this thread because my mobile phone broke (again) and I'm looking for a replacement. But in the first place, I'm curious about other people's monetary philosophies when it comes to mobile phone shopping... The question:

"Do you prefer low-quality but low-budget mobile phones, or are you into more functional but more expensive models?"

There are pros and cons for both:
Low-budget mobile phones:

Come on, we all had one of these at one point

+ Cheap (duh...) and getting cheaper all the time
+ Usually best value for money
+ If you only ever call or text, low-budget mobiles have all the functions you need
- Low functionality for those wanting "more" (e.g. mp3 music, Wi-Fi, ...)
- Usually all-around lower quality (e.g. crappy numpad, lower battery life, bad OS, ...)
- Lower durability (because quality is lower, low-budget phones tend to break easier)

High-budget mobile phones:

It's like an iPhone, but awesome!

+ Improved functionality
+ Improved all-around quality (e.g. better keys, better battery, better OS, ...)
+ Improved durability (not always though: there's more things in it that can break!)
- Expensive
- Not always good value for money (*coughiPhonecough*)
- Functionality "overkill" (Do I need Wi-Fi and 5 megapixel cameras? It's a goddamn phone!)

So in short, low-budget phones have lower functionality than high-budget phones, but sport everything a basic phone user needs. They tend to break more easily, but then again buying a new one isn't very expensive (usually less expensive than getting it repaired). High-quality phones for more extensive mobile users cost more, but you get good functionality in return - just pray it doesn't break.

Your opinions? Feel free to post more pros and cons that I may have missed...

Cheers!
Last edited by ZeGuitarist at Nov 2, 2009,
low budget. All this camera nonsense is ridculous, you dont need a camera on your phone unless your a woman.

I'd rather just buy a phone knowing that it does what a phone was built for.
I'm pretty middle-of-the-road. I don't have a cheap phone but it's nothing overly special or flashy, either. I couldn't stand having a pos cell. I'd like to have an awesome phone but it's hard to justify so... maybe later.
All I want my phone to be able to do is call, text, play mp3s, hold a charge, take micro SD cards, and be relatively small. Can get all of that cheaply enough.

I use one of these

It's falling apart from use though, but I should get maybe another year out of it yet
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Last edited by Ur all $h1t at Nov 1, 2009,
Quote by Adam Scott
low budget. All this camera nonsense is ridculous, you dont need a camera on your phone unless your a woman.

You didn't NEED to post that but you did it anyway which strikes me as odd for someone who apparently does only what needs to be done.

Of course you don't NEED a camera on your mobile phone but that doesn't take away from the fact having one can be very useful.
Quote by Arctine
You didn't NEED to post that but you did it anyway which strikes me as odd for someone who apparently does only what needs to be done.

Of course you don't NEED a camera on your mobile phone but that doesn't take away from the fact having one can be very useful.

It depends on how much you, personally, feel it's worth. I don't care much for the camera myself, because I can't see myself taking a lot of pictures. But if you find yourself constantly in situations where you're thinking "Hey, I wish I could take a picture of this," then it's probably something you could look into and justify.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
All I want my phone to be able to do is call, text, play mp3s, hold a charge, take micro SD cards, and be relatively small. Can get all of that cheaply enough.

Yeah, that's all I need too... I have a Samsung at the moment, probably will last for another (half) year, not that great quality, but still allright for what I want
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...

I want to have unlimited texts, a fair lots of minutes and a fairly good quality camera. I normally go for low range Nokias/Sony Ericssons as they cover all this.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Quote by Toilets
Functional AND low budget, please.

Hell yeah. It doubles as a bottle opener as well.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Quote by Toilets
Functional AND low budget, please.

*Nokia 3410*

Those were epic. You could bounce them off a wall and they'd be fine. I used one for 2 years and never had a problem with it, and then when back to it for another year when my other phone broke. The numbers are worn off the keypad but it still works.
I keep one now to use as an alarm clock.

Things were so simple back when everyone had either a nokia 3410/3310. You could always find a charger, or even use someone's battery if you needed to.
And customisable covers
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Adam Scott

This is how I think as well - or at least, how I did. Before my second phone in 3 years broke, the 4th in total. It made me realise that budget phones sometimes do more than just what they were built for: breaking way too easily.

So I'm contemplating buying something of better quality now. Then again...
Quote by halvies
I have an iphone and am willing to pay the $55/month for its awesomeness. But i wouldn't spend much more than that on a phone

This is a little over the top for me already, so nah.

I don't know.
Quote by Arctine

You seem to have missed the fact that you can post for free, and need to pay money for mobile phones. Details.... I think it's very understandable if you only want to pay for what you need.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Those were epic. You could bounce them off a wall and they'd be fine. I used one for 2 years and never had a problem with it, and then when back to it for another year when my other phone broke. The numbers are worn off the keypad but it still works.

Things were so simple back when everyone had either a nokia 3410/3310. You could always find a charger, or even use someone's battery if you needed to.
And customisable covers

And Snake 2! That thing about batteries was so ace though. Too much choice nowadays.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Quote by Ur all $h1t

And customisable covers

Too bad the batteries sucked - on all of them. I ditched my Nokia 3310, my first ever mobile, because there was something horribly wrong with its battery. I could charge it up to full, and it would be dead after a 10 second call. It could remain in stand-by for 10 days, though. And changing the batteries didn't help.
Quote by Cal UK
And Snake 2! That thing about batteries was so ace though. Too much choice nowadays.
The iPhone can take all its fancy apps and whatnot; a phone isn't a phone without Snake 2.
If you think about it, the world does not NEED mobile phones. Generations before us have surived just as well without them, nowadays they are becoming more of an accessory.
Quote by halvies
My friends spend $80+/month which is rediculous i think, but i personally believe 55/m isn't too bad for what you get ($600 credit and 250mb of data)

Regardless whether it's good value-for-money (or in other words, "cheap") or not, 55$/month is simply a lot of money to me. There's a difference between "expensive" and "a lot of money".
Well i'm using a nokia E63 and I got it for free with my contract! It has wifi on it and stuff so I'm pretty happy with it. And I only have to pay like $25 a month.
"When I grow up, I wanna be a vampire bat"

Quote by ZeGuitarist
Regardless whether it's good value-for-money (or in other words, "cheap") or not, 55$/month is simply a lot of money to me. There's a difference between "expensive" and "a lot of money".

I guess it's all subjective depending on the person. Some people are willing to spend $80/month on a phone and some people wont spend more than $20. Each to their own i suppose
Quote by ZeGuitarist

You seem to have missed the fact that you can post for free, and need to pay money for mobile phones. Details.... I think it's very understandable if you only want to pay for what you need.

Oh right. My bad. Feel free to show me where I can get free electricity, computers and internet connections. I was always under the impression that these things cost money? Not that it matters, you're wrong either way.

I could argue that you don't need a mobile phone at all, which ultimately you don't, you WANT one. It's understandable that people will only pay for what they want and that they may not want a camera on their phone but to argue that you shouldn't buy something because you don't NEED it is incorrect because the majority of the things we do don't need to be done.
Quote by Arctine
Oh right. My bad. Feel free to show me where I can get free electricity, computers and internet connections. I was always under the impression that these things cost money? Not that it matters, you're wrong either way.

I was talking about posting on UG. And so were you in your post I replied to.
Last edited by ZeGuitarist at Nov 1, 2009,
Quote by ZeGuitarist
I was talking about posting on UG.

For which you will need a computer, electricity and the internet? All things that you have to pay for but don't actually need.

Mid Range, It was about £70. So it was cheap compared to the high end phones. But still has a proper music player, 3.5mm headphone out, decent screen and camera. I would love an iphone, but don't want to pay so much.

I will probably get a more expensive phone on contract when I get myself a decent job.
Last edited by Lr-Mtb at Nov 1, 2009,
Quote by Arctine
For which you will need a computer, electricity and the internet? All things that you have to pay for but don't actually need.

I need the internet. Half of the communication between the staff at uni and the students is through e-mail and Blackboard. You can argue that I can use internet elsewhere - but then again, you just argued that nobody really needs internet. Who am I going to go to then?
Low budget. The battery is really good, I normally only charge it once every 10 days. I only use my phone to text and call. I think sometime I will get an iPhone, but I'll still keep my brick
High Quality - if you're on a contract, you're probably only paying about $100 anyways for the phone itself. I'm on a 3 year contract with my HTC Magic, and I get unlimited texting, unlimited calls after 6 or weekends / 300 minutes otherwise, 500 megs of bandwidth (really not needed though, since WiFi usually works) for $60/month after all fees. I don't get the people who pay like $90 per month. What more do you really need? What could justify $90 per month...
Quote by Cal UK

Ya, although a lot of people have the Nokia phone I do, so it's not impossible to find one if you're stuck.
Quote by ZeGuitarist
Too bad the batteries sucked - on all of them. I ditched my Nokia 3310, my first ever mobile, because there was something horribly wrong with its battery. I could charge it up to full, and it would be dead after a 10 second call. It could remain in stand-by for 10 days, though. And changing the batteries didn't help.

Really, I never remember having any problems with mine, even after 3 years of use. I still use it as an alarm as I said, and I only charge it maybe once a week. Then again I'm not making calls on it.
I think some of those phones were hit and miss. My best friend had the same phone and got rid of it because it kept breaking while mine is still working 7 years later despite being thrown against stuff with a shocking frequency.

Calls used to be so expensive back then though. Like 11c a text and stuff. I top up by 20 euros a month and never have to pay for calls or texts.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Last edited by Ur all $h1t at Nov 1, 2009,
Quote by ZeGuitarist
I need the internet. Half of the communication between the staff at uni and the students is through e-mail and Blackboard. You can argue that I can use internet elsewhere - but then again, you just argued that nobody really needs internet. Who am I going to go to then?

Quite simply, you don't need to go to uni.

The only things you will ever NEED to do are those that keep you alive. The rest is just stuff you're doing because it's what you want for one reason or another. Such as having a camera on your phone.
Low-budget. I fucking hate phones and don't see why I should spend money on them I could use better elsewhere.

I'm also not inclined to get a contract or any of that rubbish as I get free calls and texts to the Mrs. and anyone else on O2 anyway.
Last edited by webbtje at Nov 1, 2009,
Quote by Arctine
Quite simply, you don't need to go to uni.

The only things you will ever NEED to do are those that keep you alive. The rest is just stuff you're doing because it's what you want for one reason or another. Such as having a camera on your phone.

Now it's just getting stupid, i mean, you make a point, but seriously.

Some people need to go to uni to get a good job to pay for their lifestyles
Last edited by halvies at Nov 1, 2009,
Cheap Phones.

The fancy new ones have crappy battery time and reception.
Hate Mobile Phones overall and the texting how the **** can you people text on phones it's so annoying.

least they could do is to put a switch blade ore a can opener in the new phones that would be much more useful.
If You See Me Posting In The Pit HIT ME.
Quote by KingJak236
My hamster used to bite me when I picked it up, then it got too old and fat to bite and died in a pool of it's own vomit.

Quote by Kensai
That's the rockstar way to go. I salute him.
Last edited by Nexium at Nov 1, 2009,
I bought a Nokia N97 last wednesday. Well, it's on a 12 month contract with Carphone Warehouse, £40pm, the phone was free
Quote by halvies
Now it's just getting stupid, i mean, you make a point, but seriously.

Some people need to go to uni to get a good job to pay for their lifestyles

What's hard to understand? A good job to pay for a certain lifestyle isn't something you need but it may be something you want.

'The only things you will ever NEED to do are those that keep you alive.'

This will always be true and the only variable is the things you need to do to keep yourself alive may change.

Don't forget, my point wasn't that we should only do the things we need. It was the opposite.
Quote by Arctine

Don't forget, my point wasn't that we should only do the things we need. It was the opposite.

But now your arguing for it? make your mind up.

teehee
Quote by Adam Scott
But now your arguing for it? make your mind up.

teehee

No i'm not? I'm arguing that saying you shouldn't get a camera phone because you don't need one is stupid.
Quote by Arctine
What's hard to understand? A good job to pay for a certain lifestyle isn't something you need but it may be something you want.

'The only things you will ever NEED to do are those that keep you alive.'

This will always be true and the only variable is the things you need to do to keep yourself alive may change.

Since you're already extending your logic to ridiculous levels why do you even need the things to keep you alive?
Why do you NEED to be kept alive?

There is a point where extending logic becomes stupid, you passed that quite a while back.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Got my current Nokia E50 for free, but previously I have always bought budget phones. Don't need any of the high end features at all, that kind of functionality is useless to me. I too owned a 3310 at one point, it was beautiful.
I can take a road that'll see me through.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Since you're already extending your logic to ridiculous levels why do you even need the things to keep you alive?
Why do you NEED to be kept alive?

There is a point where extending logic becomes stupid, you passed that quite a while back.

Because if you weren't alive you wouldn't need anything. To be alive and have the ability of needing something, you'd have to maintain the former to withhold the latter.
Page 1 of 4