Couldn't find a thread about this in the first few pages so I thought i'd make a thread about it.

What do you guys think about one person being the creative force of a band? Especially when the band is made of teens? I'm starting a band and have about 3 songs written, the rest of the band hasn't really come up with anything yet so i'm showing them all these songs to play. Could this lead to tension in the band? I kinda feel bad about just making them human record players whilst I write all the music, but I fear that music could be messy and unorganized if we all write parts and put them together.
Any tips/anecdotes?

Quote by Spoonman69
Rap is music,far better than metal for example. id much rather hear about hoes and anal sex than dragons and supressed homosexuality.
This is the same way our band acts, I write all the songs and lyrics. You only have to make sure that the other ones are ALLOWED to come up with own ideas.
Let them come up with the lyrics, perhaps?

Ive been in this band for around a month, no origninals yet.
I come up with music ideas, they come up with lyrics (or me, w/e). If they have an idea, awesome. We use it if its feasible.

In short, encourage them to come up with ideas? Its similar to letting the rhythm guy play lead for a few songs, IMO. Give them their time kind of thing.

Edit:

Quote by DarkValo666
This is the same way our band acts, I write all the songs and lyrics. You only have to make sure that the other ones are ALLOWED to come up with own ideas.

Pretty much this
The last band I was in (5 piece hardcore with 2 guitarists), the majority of the guitars and bass was written by one of our guitarists and while it did get a bit sketchy at times, it generally ended up working out. At the end of the day, if you're the only one writing the songs right now, or if your ideas are clearly the better ones, the rest of the band should be honest,acknowledge it and use it. It doesn't stop you using their ideas if they end up writing something really kick-ass, if anything it might/should spur them on to write more kick-ass stuff, but right now the best ideas should be the ones you use, whether it's a group effort or written by a single person. Worked for the Beatles.
http://groups.ultimat e-guitar.com/aa08s/

"That's what i spend most of my time doing,breathing a lot.I like air"-John Frusciante
there's nothing wrong with one person writing the majority of the material, just make it known that it's not a big deal if someone else writes something, or encourage them to write some

as far as more than one person writing a song its best if two people sit down together and work one out, instead of you both writing riffs separately and trying to force them to match. If you're both together, working on it at the same time, you can help them with their riffs and such and vice versa, not to mention that the whole thing will flow together a lot better
You'll also find that some people are happy to just show up and play without having the pressure of having to write.

But I agree that those who wish to have creative input need to feel like their ideas are valued, because if they don't, they'll be gone.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by hugh20
Couldn't find a thread about this in the first few pages so I thought i'd make a thread about it.

What do you guys think about one person being the creative force of a band? Especially when the band is made of teens? I'm starting a band and have about 3 songs written, the rest of the band hasn't really come up with anything yet so i'm showing them all these songs to play. Could this lead to tension in the band?
Depends on the people. Some people are perfectly happy just being part of the process and performing. Others want more.

Quote by hugh20
I kinda feel bad about just making them human record players whilst I write all the music, but I fear that music could be messy and unorganized if we all write parts and put them together.
Then you have poor skills as a band leader. You should be able to have other members write their own parts if they choose, then sculpt what they've written into something that all works together.

Someone needs to oversee any and all of the creative forces that go into a song. Make adjustments so things mesh. In some bands, it's the same person for every song. In others, each member of the band has some songs that they write/arrange. Whatever works.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by axemanchris
You'll also find that some people are happy to just show up and play without having the pressure of having to write.

But I agree that those who wish to have creative input need to feel like their ideas are valued, because if they don't, they'll be gone.

CT

Like me.
I'm in two bands and a solo project.

The first band I just turn up and play what they want me to. It's less stressful, and if it sucks, its not my fault which kinda makes me a little happier.

The second band is just me and a singer. I love collaborating with her, she has a whole notebook of songs/poems and I've got half a hard-drive of instrumental stuff in folder called "things lyrics would be cool for". I also have written a few songs that I've got her opinion on and she sang beautifully.

I don't think I would like having ALL the creative control. I only do that when arranging for school bands, and then I'm not really IN the bans.. I'm more conducting..
sorry, lazy, didn't read through thread so i might be redundant...

chances are good that since your bandmates are a bunch of teenagers, they probably haven't developed as musicians to the point of being comfortable putting the spotlight on their particular styles and/or playing.

this makes it perfectly ok for you to reign them in and take "control" of the band, but you want to be very careful to not stifle their creative imput once it starts to come along. if you do, they'll move on to projects with more freedom. besides, you'll probably welcome their ideas and them writing their own parts simply because his puts less on your shoulders, letting you focus on your own playing. if certain members of your band never reach thispoint, it's fair to consider that perhaps they don't belong in the band as well, but that's a down the road kinda' question, and it doesn't automatically mean they don't belong... just one possible scenario.
People are generally useless without direction, and most would rather be told what to do than decide for themselves. This is why leaders are needed.

Even in a group of "aimless" people, there will be one who is a leader, or forced into a leadership position because they possess characteristics similar to them. A group of homeless stoners will blame one of them constantly because they don't arrange anything. That blamed person is the leader, even if he hasn't acted like it.

A band is the same. Generally there's one, maybe two leaders who write songs and give direction to the band. This isn't a bad thing, it's the most effective way to achieve goals. It won't take away from other musician's parts, as long as they have the ability to add to the direction you are suggesting.

When I write songs I don't write a drum part - I'm not a drummer. I don't write a bass part, I'm not playing bass (well not in this band). I just write my part and the song structure + lyrics and can give suggestions to others and let them roll.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud