Ok, so I'm in a bit of DFA1979 style band, its mainly just the set-up of bass and drums.

I use a fair few chords coupled with effects, see my signature for my current set-up.

For live show's I always split my signal before the effects chain and send a clean bass signal to the desk then get them to mic up my amp for the wet signal, the result is a pretty huge sound that I'm somewhat happy with.

I'm auditioning a few keys players shortly, and I have some idea's and I would really like to couple up a somewhat techno sound with a piano.

I have had little to no experience with synths, and the experience I have had was annoying waaa sounds and changing sylabil sounds which I find somewhat pointless to be honest.

What I'm looking for is a smooth synth sound, kind of a square wavey type of synth, or even some kind of Sawtooth style. the optimal pedal would get me a few different wave sounds, but do them well.

also any other pedal recommendations are welcome, I'm in the market for a Phaser, going to try out some flange pedals and auto-wahs. but not very knowledgeable on these effects either.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Boss Synth pedal is probably the best one without getting a moog.
Give it a look, Im thinking about getting one my self.
i did synth for a while - on bass, but i used an whammy (can't remember which one) and solo rat along with an ibanez sb7 and i got a decent - albeit wierd sound. they were all my friends pedals.
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Check out the EHX Bas MicroSynth, it may be just what your looking for
Quote by CoreysMonster
you know why rabbits are smarter than cows?

fucking cows start moo-ing around for no reason, but rabbits keep their mouth shut until they actually have something to say.

god I hate cows.
Quote by 6stringbasshred
Boss Synth pedal is probably the best one without getting a moog.
Give it a look, Im thinking about getting one my self.

Can you switch waves/sounds with your feet?

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Quote by ZaccB
What I'm looking for is a smooth synth sound, kind of a square wavey type of synth, or even some kind of Sawtooth style. the optimal pedal would get me a few different wave sounds, but do them well.

I'm afraid that you aren't going to get much of a sawtooth synthesizer sound from a bass pedal (with the possible exception of some very pricey Moog pedals). I have the Boss and the DigiTech Bass Synth pedals, and I like them very much. But those bass synthesizer pedals and auto-Q pedals are envelope filters. They give you more of a wah-sound. Some of those sounds are pretty interesting, as they can make your bass sound almost like it is talking. There are some buzzy sounds available, but not quite a sawtooth sound. An envelope filter isn't designed to shape the sound into a sawtooth.

If you are really into playing synthesizer with your bass, then your best bet is going to be a hex pickup and a true synthesizer module like the Roland VB99 Bass synthesizer. That would get you what you are looking for, but it ain't cheap.
Check out the EHX Bass Micro Synth. It's a really versatile synth, loads of different synth sounds and it has different octaver settings and a filter. It sounds great, and a pedal that's very high on my GAS list at the moment.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
How much would a used SYB5 and expression pedal set me back?

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Quote by FatalGear41
I'm afraid that you aren't going to get much of a sawtooth synthesizer sound from a bass pedal (with the possible exception of some very pricey Moog pedals). I have the Boss and the DigiTech Bass Synth pedals, and I like them very much. But those bass synthesizer pedals and auto-Q pedals are envelope filters. They give you more of a wah-sound. Some of those sounds are pretty interesting, as they can make your bass sound almost like it is talking. There are some buzzy sounds available, but not quite a sawtooth sound. An envelope filter isn't designed to shape the sound into a sawtooth.

If you are really into playing synthesizer with your bass, then your best bet is going to be a hex pickup and a true synthesizer module like the Roland VB99 Bass synthesizer. That would get you what you are looking for, but it ain't cheap.

Best answer

So you are saying there are no modestly priced synth effect pedals that aren't Envelope Filters?

I've talked to a couple people about synth midi pickups running to an effect's module. As pricey as they are this is really the sort of sound I'm after, is there no reasonably priced way of going about this without learning keys properly.

Also because the pick-up runs to its own module then I'm guessing that goes to an amplifier or the P.A., does that mean the pick-ups in your bass will still work and you can have both a clean signal and the synth signal running at the same time?

Lastly would it be worth my while enlisting a Keys player for some Synthy sounds? I've been thinking of adding some keys for a while and already have kind of written keys parts for about half the songs.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Quote by ZaccB
Best answer

So you are saying there are no modestly priced synth effect pedals that aren't Envelope Filters?

I've talked to a couple people about synth midi pickups running to an effect's module. As pricey as they are this is really the sort of sound I'm after, is there no reasonably priced way of going about this without learning keys properly.

Also because the pick-up runs to its own module then I'm guessing that goes to an amplifier or the P.A., does that mean the pick-ups in your bass will still work and you can have both a clean signal and the synth signal running at the same time?

Lastly would it be worth my while enlisting a Keys player for some Synthy sounds? I've been thinking of adding some keys for a while and already have kind of written keys parts for about half the songs.

I am not aware of any modestly priced bass effects pedals that are not envelope filters. The MuTron set the standard for "synth-ish" bass sounds back in the 1970s during the Funk Explosion, and the manufacturers basically followed suit. There are some great bass envelope filters out there, but for the most part, no one except Moog has tried to expand on them. The Moog pedals are fantastic, but they are (for the most part) very expensive. They are also huge - one of them will take up about half of your pedal board.

A hex pickup/midi setup should allow you to trigger the sounds of a rackmount synthesizer module from your stringed instrument - bass or guitar. There are two considerations to take into account with this setup: first, the price. A good synthesizer module alone will set you back over $1,000.00, and may run closer to $3,000.00. The second is just how well the setup will track the strings of your bass or guitar. This has been one of the biggest problems with synth-like effects and stringed instruments. If it doesn't track well, then your setup is going to have a very limited range of use. The only way to know if it will track well is to put it all together, plug in, and play.

Yes, the hex pickup on the VB99 synth bass module has its own lead, so you could run your normal bass signal through the stock pickups into one amp or one input of the board (if you are going direct), and the hex pickup into a separate setup. Then you would have both playing at once.

It is always worth convincing a good keyboardist to join your band, or learning to play them yourself for home recordings. Even the most basic synthesizer is going to be infinitely more versatile then a bass midi synthesizer setup. I own a Juno-D, which is about as basic a synth as you can get, and there is no end of sounds you can get with it. You could also arrange your midi setup to trigger the voices in your keyboard synth if it is set up for a midi input.

I hope all of this helps you out.
combine a gated fuzz, such as a Bass Blowtorch, with a Phaser. it will sound both synthy and wide.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
i have both the Boss SYB-5 and the EHX bass microsynth.

They are good units, but they dont have the "true" synth sound imo. However, thats not to say they arent usable. I would suggest getting an expression pedal with the SYB-5 however, i have seen demos, and it looks far more usable with it.

The EHX is the more usable pedal imo, but it is more expensive too. I would suggest looking for the last model, in the older chassis, second hand. It will be cheaper, imo it looks better. I have been told that if something goes wrong, it will be easier to fix, also, while im not sure, the paint job might be a little more hard wearing. On the current model, a light scratch with a fingernail, will pull paint off the unit.

EDIT: the reviews on harmony central refer to a model with the trigger adjustment being a pot on the underside of the pedal, and the bypass being absolutely godawful, but im not too sure is that the last model, or the one before it

Either way, i would be inclined to go secondhand.
Last edited by jimmy_neutron at Nov 10, 2009,
thanks for all the help guys.

I feel maybe a keys player would benefit me until I have excessive amounts of money for a Moog or a Synth pickup and module.

and then a Keys player would still come in handy.

and I don't know if its possible or not but someone should promote FatalGear, He's a babe
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"