Hey, so i opened a thread a while ago asking whether a spider III
(30 watts) was good for playing hard rock, and metal (bands like metallica, ozzy, mastodon, megadeth) but also some classic rock. and i got a lot of replies saying the line 6 wasn't as good as the Peavey Vypyr. if someone could please give me like the pros and cons of both amps, and which one you think it's better. i'm really undecided...

EDIT: I play through a peavey stratocaster (raptor)
Last edited by Maru717 at Nov 1, 2009,
i was under the impression they both define the word shit?
Guitar - The true Religion
Last edited by AusMetal33 at Nov 1, 2009,
the Peavey is a lot better. I've never tried the SPider III but people say it sounds digital and fizzy. oh and if for some reason u are buying the Line 6, buy the Spider IV not III. The IV is new and is supposed to sound better.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Spider;

Pros:

Lots of effects to play around with.
OK Practice amp/beginner amp

Cons:

Bad sound quality
Sub-average effects
Not reccomended to gig with
Fizzy and thin

Vypyr:

Pros:

Decent sound quality
Decent effects
Great beginner amp
Easy to get good sounds out of
Decent metal tones for low price
Can be gigged with
Good price

Cons:

Reliability has its flaws

... There really is no question.
Last edited by marc0mu at Nov 1, 2009,
The Spider sounds crappy and doesn't have nearly the features of the Vypyr, while the Vypyr sounds much better and has tons of amp models and effects. That's it.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by marc0mu
Spider;

Pros:

Cons:

Bad sound quality
Sub-average effects

Vypyr:

Pros:

Decent sound quality
Decent effects
Great beginner amp
Can be gigged with

Cons:

This

Quote by AusMetal33

I'm under the impression you need to get off the bandwagon.

Quote by holycow
the Peavey is a lot better. I've never tried the SPider III but people say it sounds digital and fizzy. oh and if for some reason u are buying the Line 6, buy the Spider IV not III. The IV is new and is supposed to sound better.

The Spider 1 and II sound better than III and IV so if anything I would search for a spider I or II. The peavey is simply a better buy though.
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Nov 1, 2009,
Quote by marc0mu
Spider;

Pros:

Cons:

Bad sound quality
Sub-average effects
Fizzy and thin

Vypyr:

Pros:

Decent sound quality
Decent effects
Great beginner amp
Can be gigged with
Good price

Cons:

Really?
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Vypyr is a better-designed amp, and sounds better because of it. Not especially reliable pre-firmware updates, but overall not bad.

The big difference is the amp modeling. The Spider uses fully digital amp modeling (which sounds like a pile of crap because of the low quality models) and the Vypyr uses analog modeling for the amp and digital for the effects.

The Vypyr also has a higher power processor in comparison; it uses a Sharc 32 bit processor, which gives more of a real feel to the effects because of the increased computing power.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I know that you're looking at these two, but over both of them I'd pick a Roland Cube 30/60
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by marc0mu
Yes, really.

6 effects are a lot?
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
6 effects are a lot?

I would say it's a good amount to play around with if you're a beginner and don't have a clue what they are.
My Vypyr kicks my friends Spider III to hell and back.

It's a world of difference.
Gear:
08' Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ Vintage 30
Peavy Vypyr 15 watt
MXR 10 Band EQ
MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss DS-1
Dunlop 535Q Wah

Death to all butt metal.
Quote by Hesh_09

Metal and hard rock? Nawwwww
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Yngwi3
Metal and hard rock? Nawwwww

I thought about that, it could do hard rock, metal might be tricky...
Tele - EP Booster - DLS - Big Muff - Ekko 616 - Rocker 30/AC15
Quote by AusMetal33

I was under the same impression about the Tiny Terror.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
For the money, a Vypyr is a much, much better amp than the Spider III in terms of tone, number of effects, and quality of effects.

The smaller Spiders are decent practice amps, don't get me wrong, but the Vypyrs take the win in this situation.
Quote by ConfederateAxe
I was under the same impression about the Tiny Terror.

+1.

Anyway, I think the Vypyr is probably the most overrated amp on these forums, and to be honest, I wouldn't recommend it (Tried it a while back).

I'm not sure what to recommend you...What amp do you have at the moment?
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Quote by LezPaulEpiphone
+1.

Anyway, I think the Vypyr is probably the most overrated amp on these forums, and to be honest, I wouldn't recommend it (Tried it a while back).

Yea the Vypyr may be overrated, but when compared to a Spider III or IV its pretty clear which one takes the win.
Search for youtube videos for a direct A/B comparison. The spiders will sound like a thin, tinny, buzzy POS, and the Vypyrs will have at least a small amount of resemblance to the amp they are trying to model. And after you realize how different they sound, read the hilarious comments from the people who still think the spider sounds better.

Edit: And I cannot wait until I finally go to a music store to try out amps(I haven't gone in nearly 3 months... I'm going insane, someone help me).

This sig is colored just to annoy the UG classic users.

Trying to think of witty things to put in my sig. Message if you have ideas.
Last edited by pokeatthedevil at Nov 1, 2009,
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Yea the Vypyr may be overrated, but when compared to a Spider III or IV its pretty clear which one takes the win.

Compared to a Spider, yeah.
But, let's be honest, after the Vypyr, you're probably going to what a new amp soonish.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Quote by LezPaulEpiphone
Compared to a Spider, yeah.
But, let's be honest, after the Vypyr, you're probably going to what a new amp soonish.

The TS is an Aug 09'er asking about a Spider III. I think its pretty safe to assume that he's fairly new to the world of amps and probably doesn't have a good ear for tone so something better than either of those amps wouldn't be good for him.

A decent modeling practice amp (such as the Vypyr) would probably last someone in that situation a good couple years before they really wanted to move up to something else. It would also give them a chance to play around with some decent sounding effects and amp models and let them figure out where they wanna go after that amp.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
The TS is an Aug 09'er asking about a Spider III. I think its pretty safe to assume that he's fairly new to the world of amps and probably doesn't have a good ear for tone so something better than either of those amps wouldn't be good for him.

A decent modeling practice amp (such as the Vypyr) would probably last someone in that situation a good couple years before they really wanted to move up to something else. It would also give them a chance to play around with some decent sounding effects and amp models and let them figure out where they wanna go after that amp.

Yeah, Good point.
I just thought, when I tried the Vypyr, I found it very hard to get a in a good tone, apart from metal tones. Compared to my cube, the Vypyr did 10x better at Metal, although, with clean sounds and classic rock overdrive, I preferred the cube to it.
But yeah, the Vypyr isn't bad, it's probably one of the best little modelling amps out there.
TS, try out the Vypyr, and if you like it, get it.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Quote by JoePerry4life
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYslxyj4Qwk&feature=PlayList&p=56F3627D7FAB12C8&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=8

THe guy is annoying but its a pretty clear demo of how much better the vypyr sounds.

This is the one I was speaking of.

This sig is colored just to annoy the UG classic users.

Trying to think of witty things to put in my sig. Message if you have ideas.
Quote by LezPaulEpiphone
+1.

i have an off-brand 10 watt amp that sounds really shitty and has a horrible distortion, that i've been using for like a year and a half now (since i first started), but it worked well with the beginner stuff, so i think that any amp out there would qualify as an upgrade from that, still i'm looking for a decent amp to play the styles i mentioned within a budget of $100-$250. but since my guitar isn't that great either it wouldn't make much sense to get a superb amp.

i got the vypyr recommended when i asked if the line 6 was good for metal and stuff, so i wanted people's views on that one, but it would be cool to hear other recommendations, although i'm pretty much set on the vypyr after reading all of the replies in here.
Last edited by Maru717 at Nov 1, 2009,
For 250 I'd say get the 30 watt vypyr, i has stompboxes too and a bigger speaker.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
1) You will be the subject of ridicule if you buy a Spider.

2) People will tolerate your presence if you buy a Vypyr.

I recommend the Vypyr.
It's amazing how many times one sees this exact discussion, the dominant answer usually seems to be "get the Vypyr" but can I offer another alternative?

Save your dollars for a bit longer and buy a real amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
It's amazing how many times one sees this exact discussion, the dominant answer usually seems to be "get the Vypyr" but can I offer another alternative?

Save your dollars for a bit longer and buy a real amp.

You've been here for less than a month. You haven't seen the half of it.

Anyone else wondering why it still involves a Spider III when they were discontinued an replaced 2 months ago?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Spider sounds too digital, and it doesn't have that great of a tone.

Peavey has SO many more effects and customization, and it has a very good tone.
Quote by mmolteratx
You've been here for less than a month. You haven't seen the half of it.

Anyone else wondering why it still involves a Spider III when they were discontinued an replaced 2 months ago?

Correction: I've been posting here for less than a month, I've been lurking on and off for quite a long time before that. But even so, I'm sure you are correct.

What I wonder more is why people spend so much money on new amps that everybody says are crap when there are so many second hand bargains out there? A good valve amp will last you for decades and all you have to do is swap out the valves occasionally - new is definitely not better with amps. If you are patient and keep your eyes open it's amazing what you can score.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification