I was wondering, What type of amp could i get for anywhere from $200 to $300?
It needs a decent amount of effects, good distortion, nice cleans and a decent blues tone. I've only been playing for like 6 or so months. I need something reliable and good for metal, hard rock and Southern Rock (Note the capital letters!). All i have at this point is a First Act Bass Amp which i am borrowing and a BOSS ME-50B Bass multi-effects pedal which i am also borrowing. I'd like something good so i can give these back to the guy. I appreciate it but they're not meant for guitar hehe. I play though an Epi Goth Les Paul. Thanks
Last edited by InsaneBane at Nov 1, 2009,
For that price range you are gonna have to go with a solid state amp. I would suggest a Roland 30x cube or. 60x(only if you need that 30 extra watts)

You may want to save up for a tube amp...
Schecter C-1 classic
Fender Blues Junior

EHX metal muff
Digitech Hardwire delay
Rockband mic (gotta record some how)

new guitar: $282/$500
I realize it's not tube but Line 6 is the way for you to go. You can get a small one new for $100 or get a nice used 100 watt Flextone II for $250ish which is what I have with all the effects you could possibly want or need.
+1 to the flextone (not the spider). Try a vox VT30 or a peavey vyper or save up for something like a blackstar HT-5
Line 6's sound horrible compared to other ss amps...I have only 1 ss amp and it's a 30x cube and it's defnetly the best for ur situation
Schecter C-1 classic
Fender Blues Junior

EHX metal muff
Digitech Hardwire delay
Rockband mic (gotta record some how)

new guitar: $282/$500
Wow, Just looked up the roland cube, its pretty badass to be honest. better then any spider III. Though i was looking into spider IVs. Also, Roland is owned by boss right? So that means reliabilty
Last edited by InsaneBane at Nov 1, 2009,
Quote by The1no1likes
Line 6's sound horrible compared to other ss amps...I have only 1 ss amp and it's a 30x cube and it's defnetly the best for ur situation

i think your talking about the spider
the flextone is a pretty nice amp especially for its price i'd definately recommend it
Gear
Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
Epiphone SG G400 White
Line 6 Flextone III+
Line 6 Spider III 120 (for sale £90)
look on your local craigslist or used store, see if you can score a line 6 flextone, since they tend to go used for ~250 USD
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
look on your local craigslist or used store, see if you can score a line 6 flextone, since they tend to go used for ~250 USD

Flextone looks promising. But that cube 30x looks nice. It's got everything i need and new for like $260. Cant really beat it for a practice amp.
Quote by linksmaker
prog-how do you like the Whammy pedal? thinking of getting one myself?

If you can find a good use for it it's a great pedal. I find it's just a bit much for what I'm playing atm (mainly blues and classic rock). It's good for muse and RATM and such like, bit of bloc party as well. You get a lot of features for the money, but they all affect your tone quite a bit (Not necessarily a bad thing depending on what sound your going for). Yeah i'd definately say go for it if it's something bands you like use or if you just want to experiment a bit, but it's not something everyone should have on their board
Quote by InsaneBane
Wow, Just looked up the roland cube, its pretty badass to be honest. better then any spider III. Though i was looking into spider IVs. Also, Roland is owned by boss right? So that means reliabilty

Mine broke actually. I have no idea how, It looked bulletproof, and was completely for like a year and a half. Then the output chip broke and cost me £50 to fix! That's almost as much as I'll get for trading it in when my laney arrives.
On the actual amp itself, i like the cleans, of all the drive settings I could never find what i wanted, but it does high gain stuff pretty well all considered. Doesn't take distortion pedals at all well (It's a modeller though). Small and light on the plus side, and the delay is very good too. Definately better than a spider 3. I like the Vox VT's as well, and I liked the flextones I played

EDIT: Sorry for the double wall of text, I tend to waffle but I like to get a point across
Quote by ProgFolk12
Mine broke actually. I have no idea how, It looked bulletproof, and was completely for like a year and a half. Then the output chip broke and cost me £50 to fix! That's almost as much as I'll get for trading it in when my laney arrives.
On the actual amp itself, i like the cleans, of all the drive settings I could never find what i wanted, but it does high gain stuff pretty well all considered. Doesn't take distortion pedals at all well (It's a modeller though). Small and light on the plus side, and the delay is very good too. Definately better than a spider 3. I like the Vox VT's as well, and I liked the flextones I played

EDIT: Sorry for the double wall of text, I tend to waffle but I like to get a point across

Thanks for the help bro. Ima get a cube
No, definitely get the Flextone! It's far far better than the cube.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Cheap yes, nice... not so much. It's a one-trick pony.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
the best way to go would be either a peavey vyper, roland cube 30, and i would also suggest a marshall MG30 DFX... they are all good for practicing and are worth the cash... dont go for the line 6 spider they really suck