i tend to go for the neck pickup when using fingerstyle and between pickups when i use a pick.

is there a set place where you are supposed to pluck for techniques sake?

it seems as though i can get more volume&power from the neck pickup,, is this usual?
'If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.' Albert Einstein
I pluck mainly at the neck pickup for a more consisten sound, and sometime in the middle between the 2 pups for a softer sound

And yes plucking at the neck pup sounds more due to the cause that the strings are more tense
I use all five fingers when I play bass, so I can't really pick a particular place to hit the string. I also play pretty fast, so I'm always all over the place.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
Depends on the tone I'm trying to achieve. For a strong punchy tone I'll play by the bridge, the tension at the bridge also helps for playing fast and consistently. The softer I want it the closer Ill play to the neck, and sometimes over the neck if I want a lot of "mwah".
"It often happens that I wake up at night and begin to think about a serious problem and decide I must tell the pope about it. Then I wake up completely and remember that I am the pope."

---Pope John XXIII
I pretty much always have my thumb (as I use floating thumb) over the neck pickup, bridge is too harsh for my taste. I usually hit the strings HARD if I want it more punchy, as in a few spots in the pickups have string marks on them...
Quote by Spaz91
At the bridge, minimal buzz, can make nice short funky notes, higher tension = faster playing.

this on my aria

on the t-bird go for the middle the neck pickups rolled to 0 with the bridge up and tone up max AND i found the sweet spot for a nice old skool rock sound is just about 3/4 closer to the bridge gives off a good sound for AC/DC type stuff and sounds good with some Franz Ferdinand imo aswell as the likes of Feeder.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
I regularly move around on the strings to change the sound of the bass. Suppose I move from a verse with quite a bit of movement to a chorus with long ringing notes, I might move from just below my bridge pup to right below the neck. Or I might want to go from smoothly blending in to really cutting through, so I might move from a central position to the super-fart zone right by bridge.

I move a lot throughout the set, and probably more often then most in the middle of individual songs.
Totally depends on the sound I want. Anywhere from way up on the neck (rarely though) to right over the bridge pickup or even "slapping" softly right next to the bridge to sustain a note without re-plucking it.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
I play fingerstyle at the neck pickup when I want a mellow tone, and at the bridge when I want a harsher tone without a pick. With a pick, I usually pluck at the bridge, but I occasionally play at the neck.
since I play a Jazz Bass, my bridge pickup sticks out farther than my neck pickup, so it makes a nice ledge to rest my thumb on, though I move my thumb to a resting position to the string above the one im playing while using root note. a little complicated, no?
Quote by CoreysMonster
you know why rabbits are smarter than cows?

fucking cows start moo-ing around for no reason, but rabbits keep their mouth shut until they actually have something to say.

god I hate cows.
WHEREVER I DAMN WELL PLEASE .

In other words, if I'm going for something growly and "ARGH!" I go for right over the bridge pickup.

If I want something wooly, I play around the 20th fret. Any other situations are anywhere in between.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Spaz91
Wat

i have my Bridge pickup adjusted higher than the neck, meaning it sticks out farther
Quote by CoreysMonster
you know why rabbits are smarter than cows?

fucking cows start moo-ing around for no reason, but rabbits keep their mouth shut until they actually have something to say.

god I hate cows.
I play over my neck pickup. But I hit the strings like Alex Webster. *clanks*

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

when i play metal (most of the time) i play with the pickups slightly panned towards the bridge and then pluck between the pickups, if i want a p-bass sort of sound (for iron maiden songs and classic rock) then i pan all the way towards neck pickup and play between neck p/u and neck
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
i change all the time, in between songs aswell as during them.

It all depends on the effect i'm trying to get from the notes im playing, and also the tuning (and therefore tension) of the strings.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Over the neck pickup, i dont like to anchor on the bridge pup cause its close to the bride and just freaks me out for some reason but i will float or anchor my thumb on the body if i'm just trying to hit a tighter area of the string when playing either the E or B string only ... for break downs i guess .

If ive found that i'll tend to mess up the emphasis on some notes and need them all to be about the same i'll play somewhat anchored on the neck. Sometimes i'll just do it for a note that i need to ring out for a while.

Also, for tapping i rest my thumb on the edge of the neck too, easier to know where i am or for balance or something. Sometimes not if i'm tapping out a chord or something, or fingering problems.
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
Wherever is sounds best in the context of the song

/thread
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
my comfort zone is my thumb on the neck p-up, fingering between there and the neck. i move toward the bridge for a twankyer sound. with a pick, i'm all over the place, but mostly near the bridge when i need to palm mute the note/s.
Last edited by 83lespaulstudio at Nov 1, 2009,
everywhere. mainly at the neck and over the bridge pickup.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
In between the bridge and neck pickups gives me the fattest, warmest tone. I go just behind the fretboard for a weaker more watery tone during softer songs.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
Quote by slaptasticdave
Wherever is sounds best in the context of the song

/thread

+1
Member Of The Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians only.

I Play the Bagpipes.

they actually are a pleasant instrument.