I am in a band for a year now. Everytime we wanted to (try to) make our own songs one of our gitarists is always a pain in the a***. Everything he plays sounds sh*t and does not relate to the music the rest of the band plays.
In life outside the band I really dislike him, just because of the way he is. (He thinks he is THA MAN, but he is not AT ALL!... the ugly w*nker)

I really don't want to be with him in one band anymore, but the rest of the band (really good friends of mine) don't see a reason to kick him out.

Yesterday I played guitar along with an old classmate of mine. He plays guitar almost proffesionally, but has no band.

Shall I quit my current band and start a new band with the other. Or shall I suggest my current band to replace the ugly guy for the man who really can play guitar?
(I really dont want to send the wrong message to the members of my current band)

Anyway, what do you think? Totally new band or replace the bad member of my current band?
are u chill with all the other members? if so, suggest that you know someone better. even if theyre all really good friends with him, they need to think about the priorities of the band. if they dont, then you start a new band
Thanks a lot! It's good to know how other people think about something.

I am good friends with the other members.. so that's a plus!
Let's see what is more a priority for them... a good band or friendship.
Quote by W355537
I am in a band for a year now. Everytime we wanted to (try to) make our own songs one of our gitarists is always a pain in the a***. Everything he plays sounds sh*t and does not relate to the music the rest of the band plays.
In life outside the band I really dislike him, just because of the way he is. (He thinks he is THA MAN, but he is not AT ALL!... the ugly w*nker)

I really don't want to be with him in one band anymore,
Okay, so you dislike this guy. Maybe he's as bad as you say. Or maybe he just SEEMS that bad to you, because you have personal issues with him.

Quote by W355537
but the rest of the band (really good friends of mine) don't see a reason to kick him out.
Then maybe he isn't that bad and you just need to grow up. Or maybe you need to convince them to raise their expectations. Figure it out.

Quote by W355537
Yesterday I played guitar along with an old classmate of mine. He plays guitar almost proffesionally, but has no band.
That sounds good.

Quote by W355537
Shall I quit my current band and start a new band with the other. Or shall I suggest my current band to replace the ugly guy for the man who really can play guitar?
Maybe jam with the new guy and one other member of your band, just for fun. Do this as many times as you have other members in your band. One band member, plus you, plus the new guy, at each jam. That way they get to hear him and interact a bit. Then suggest replacement.

Quote by W355537
(I really dont want to send the wrong message to the members of my current band)
What's the "wrong message"? That you're manipulative and have a personal grudge against this "ugly guy"? If you're anything irl like your post, that ship has long since sailed. Just accept it for being what it is. The other members of your band probably already have.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Nov 1, 2009,
hmmm, could i perhaps suggest a fight to the death? winner takes his place in the band?
You have to identify ACTUAL issues that you have with this guy. I think there's only one problem that you've said - that you don't like the parts he ads to original songs.

Now why do you not like them? Any reason? I hope there is. Identify said reason, and suggest to him to approach the song differently. This is called being a "Band" rather than "a bunch of teenage girls".

As for the guitarist being a wanker - he's a guitarist. Get used to it.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
aha! so that's CT's urgent PM from the other day?

...can't really say i'd complain with a bunch of teenage girls, but perhaps i've said too much. nevermind!
Quote by chokmool
Alan, you've gone green! Good for you.

Hey so I have! Looks like procrastinating from study has it's benefits.
Soundcloud
Yay, jam with new guy.

Now you can have TWO bands!

If he's not already in a band, maybe he wants it to stay that way, but it is always fun jamming with someone better than you. I personally love it and leach it off my teachers as much as possible :P
Quote by AlanHB

Put in my signature because the truth of this statement must be spread.

On topic to the thread, pretty much what Alan said in that post was spot-on. If you don't like the guy not because of his abilities, but because he's a "ugly loser" like you say, it's wrong to fire him and not just quit yourself and form another band. If he actually sucks, that's another story.
Quote by AlanHB
Quote by itstheman
Put in my signature because the truth of this statement must be spread.

On topic to the thread, pretty much what Alan said in that post was spot-on. If you don't like the guy not because of his abilities, but because he's a "ugly loser" like you say, it's wrong to fire him and not just quit yourself and form another band. If he actually sucks, that's another story.

Hey I got sigged! Modded and sigged in the same week. Wow. This is the greatest moment of my life

In the interest of furthering the thread here's a little story;

I was the bassist of an alt-pop group. We were going ok, but I could never personally get along with the drummer, and felt it was affecting our chemistry and "tightness".

I told this to a more experienced musician and he said "if you don't get along with the drummer, it's YOUR problem, not the band's. Just get over it and make music".

Good advice. I've never let personal stuff affect the music again.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB

Personal stuff will affect your performance, if you're a human being. Why do you think bands like Van Halen, who continually write great music would break up? I wouldn't want to be on stage with some guy I hate the guts out of, there's no relationship that keeps that chemistry together.

When my bassist, drummer, singer, or even me is in a bad mood or is pissed off at someone, it will definitely affect the performance/practice.
Quote by AlanHB
Quote by itstheman
Personal stuff will affect your performance, if you're a human being.

I guess that's why it's better to characterise a band more like a business or workplace. If you don't get along with your workmates, you'll still work with them. If you characterise it like a group of friends, well no work will get done
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
I guess that's why it's better to characterise a band more like a business or workplace. If you don't get along with your workmates, you'll still work with them. If you characterise it like a group of friends, well no work will get done

If music with your bandmates feels like a job, you're doing something wrong -- and when things fall apart (lack of success over a period of time, continual dissapointments) there's no friendship to maintain it.

edit: If you or any of your bandmates don't think writing music is fun, once again, something's wrong. It's a friendly activity by nature, making a great tune.
Quote by AlanHB
Last edited by itstheman at Nov 2, 2009,
I have a feeling we approach bands very differently.
Soundcloud
Quote by itstheman
If music with your bandmates feels like a job, you're doing something wrong
You can't see the forest for the trees on this one. Just because you approach the way you deal with a band in the same mindset you use for a job or business, doesn't mean it has to "feel like a job". For that matter, there are plenty of rewarding jobs and business that are very enjoyable.

Don't get all hung up on the words "job" and "business" because you see them as being undesirable. There are plenty of good parallels between good business sense and management of a band.
Quote by itstheman
-- and when things fall apart (lack of success over a period of time, continual dissapointments) there's no friendship to maintain it.
As long as the members are enjoying the endeavor, it will sustain itself. Without that, if the only reason a band stays together is because of friendship, the member might do better elsewhere. If the binding force is a desire to collaborate, this will be much stronger and more useful than friendship. Especially in times where there are those inevitable personal issues that crop up in any band.

Quote by itstheman
edit: If you or any of your bandmates don't think writing music is fun, once again, something's wrong. It's a friendly activity by nature, making a great tune.
Some people enjoy writing. Others just wanna perform. Different stokes for different folks. It doesn't mean something is wrong.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by AlanHB
I have a feeling we approach bands very differently.

Where did you get that?

It's okay though, there's no wrong way to approach a band -- just opinions.
Quote by AlanHB
Quote by GrisKy
hmmm, could i perhaps suggest a fight to the death? winner takes his place in the band?

Id say this is the best solution
Get rid of the band member if he isn't a good MUSICIAN. If you can't then get out of the band.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄