my guitarist recently acquired an 8 string guitar with a low f# like meshuggah. my question is, i dont have a bass with a low f# so what would i play over his low f#
Ibanez SR 505
Brice Defiant 6 lizardburst (soon to have)
GK 700rbII
GK BXL 4x10
GK BXL 1x15
Boss GT10B (soon to have)
A high F#?
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
Tune down to B (if your bass is a four string, if it is a five string leave it the way it is). You don't need to tune that low, it would be impossible to hear such low frequencies so do the same as the meshuggah bass player and play the same note of the guitar.
Even God has a Hell, his love for Humanity.
by Friedrich Nietzsche

Call me Edge
Wouldn't the F# on ur bass be low already, considering the size of the strings and the fact that its a bass guitar?

Do you need to be an octave lower than him?

I mean i've never played bass, but to me it seems like tuning all the way down on ur bass is an unnecessary drop
Quote by voodoochild23
Wouldn't the F# on ur bass be low already, considering the size of the strings and the fact that its a bass guitar?

Do you need to be an octave lower than him?

I mean i've never played bass, but to me it seems like tuning all the way down on ur bass is an unnecessary drop

i was needing a lower octave
Ibanez SR 505
GK 700rbII
GK BXL 4x10
GK BXL 1x15
Quote by Deliriumbassist
A low F# on the bass can be heard just fine.

If you don't want to tune that low, you can always just play other notes from the chords being played.

thats not what im worried about. im worried about riffs that use the open f# as a pedal tone
Ibanez SR 505
GK 700rbII
GK BXL 4x10
GK BXL 1x15
F# has worked well on my 115, its a matter of ported/unported and the speaker and just general build quality i guess though.

Ive actually been thinking about getting a 6er and stringing it for F# B E A D G but i'm understandably hesitant i guess ... anyway, who says your guitarist has to use the F# as the pedal tone again? Maybe he can just keep using the B or whatever note you were using before either until you can arrange to get yourself to a low F# or just use the F# string for extended chords or in the same way that some bassists use the B string to just reach the occasional low note.
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
Barbwire strings?
Sounds definetly very metal.
BA DUM TSCH
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Last edited by Dawnwalker at Nov 1, 2009,
Quote by Thegian
F# has worked well on my 115, its a matter of ported/unported and the speaker and just general build quality i guess though.

Ive actually been thinking about getting a 6er and stringing it for F# B E A D G but i'm understandably hesitant i guess ... anyway, who says your guitarist has to use the F# as the pedal tone again? Maybe he can just keep using the B or whatever note you were using before either until you can arrange to get yourself to a low F# or just use the F# string for extended chords or in the same way that some bassists use the B string to just reach the occasional low note.

I've been toying with that idea for a while. You could also get a 4 string and use Warwick Dark Lord or Rotosound Drop Zone Plus strings. You probably shouldn't do that with your main bass, as you'd have to widen the slots in the nut. And you should probably only try it with a 35" scale bass. That would be cool because you could tune it down a whole step and have it be an octave below standard.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
I've been considering tuning my old bass to F#BEA. It's perfectly possible, though I guess my speakers might not be able to handle it. 34" scale is a no-no, right?

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

a lower F# than 2nd fret e-string is way too low. Barely hearable. Im taking that your guitarist will probably seldom use his F#, but when he does just play 2nd fret E (i know its gonna be the same note), because the octave below is some grumble and the only bit your gonna hear properly is gonna be the string vibration against the fretboard, but if your insistent then just re-string your current bass so the lowest is F#, if your playing that low i doubt you'll need to go higher than a g (on the d string or even a string)
Quote by kugelspot
I've been toying with that idea for a while. You could also get a 4 string and use Warwick Dark Lord or Rotosound Drop Zone Plus strings. You probably shouldn't do that with your main bass, as you'd have to widen the slots in the nut. And you should probably only try it with a 35" scale bass. That would be cool because you could tune it down a whole step and have it be an octave below standard.

I was thinking about how it would be cool to have a standard tuned bass without the C in the way (i generally dont like the tone of that string anyway) so i could play songs requiring that, and then the B cause of some early death metal songs from carcass and bands like that along with the usual use of the b string for economy of motion and as the main pedal note from then on if i could convince the guitarists, and then the F# cause i want it .

You can definitely do this though if you want. F# sounds well and it hasnt been a taboo kinda area to get into. Mainstream string companies facilitate the need well too ... granted it'll cost you a pretty penny . You could also tune up like the bassist from meshuggah if your not into such a low note.

Also, its been argued for far too long but the difference from 34 to 35" dosnt effect the tension as much as build quality and maybe the angled back headstocks. same thing with thru body bridges and neck thrus i think. Feel free to continue to argue ... get a BTB

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
if there are any song where the guitarist is using f# as a pedal note, you could put a capo on the second fret of your bass and use that.

alternatively tell your guitarist to come up with some good riffs instead of having to downtune.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
I heard somewhere that Mushugga's bassist tunes up?

Or maybe I'm full of shit...

...Do Mushugga even still have a bassist?
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by shinhoman
if there are any song where the guitarist is using f# as a pedal note, you could put a capo on the second fret of your bass and use that.

alternatively tell your guitarist to come up with some good riffs instead of having to downtune.

x

Yup, let's go tell Deftones that they're a pile of sh*t

Quote by ChemicalFire
I heard somewhere that Mushugga's bassist tunes up?

Or maybe I'm full of shit...

...Do Mushugga even still have a bassist?

He does, up half a step to F last i heard. Only difference is the timbre now.

A low F# can be heard. It is not below 20Hz which is (on average) where hearing the fundamental stops/become really really quiet. Sure it won't be the most audible note especially without at least an 18" speaker but it will make the band sound fuller than 3 people playing the same pitch.
Bass is my life.
You will unless you have a good rig, just be hearing the harmonics rather then the note.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
http://www.basslabusa.com/sound.html

Get the F# Experiment .mp3 and listen if you dont think F# can be heard very well. Thats also with a .125 string.

Most 15s and 18s should be able to make it sound great dont you think?

Tune an octave higher.
That'll teach those guitards.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Quote by fatgoogle
You will unless you have a good rig, just be hearing the harmonics rather then the note.

He's right you know. Most bass speakers dont go anywhere near 40Hz never mind lower. You can play the same note on a bass and a guitar and it will sound quite different because different harmonics are emphasised. Use your tone controls or change your speakers to get more deeps.

If you need to pedal off F# then tune up.
Most cabs will not do to well but there is a couple that gets the job done.

AccuGroove makes some sweet cabs that runs below 20hz and so does Phil Jones and Mark Bass.

Having a big speaker (18"-21") doesn't really affect. Phil Jones have 5" speakers (but 24 of them) and they produce the F# with no problem.

As well as all the AccuGroove cabs. 10" 12" up to 21".
Conklin GTBD-7
Digitech JamMan
Guitar Rig Mobile
Korg AX10B
Quote by Puma89
Most cabs will not do to well but there is a couple that gets the job done.

AccuGroove makes some sweet cabs that runs below 20hz and so does Phil Jones and Mark Bass.

Having a big speaker (18"-21") doesn't really affect. Phil Jones have 5" speakers (but 24 of them) and they produce the F# with no problem.

This is true there are plenty of hifi drive units that go down to 20Hz the limits of hearing but it isn't quite that simple. Speakers are tuned units like guitar strings. The weight of the cone acts with the air in the cab and the springiness (compliance) of the suspension to tune the speaker to a resonant frequency. You can tune a speaker to any frequency with the right suspension but at the cost of efficiency. You could tune your top G to low E but it is better to use a heavier string. You can compensate for low efficiency by using multiple speakers though, like Phil Jones.

Below the resonant frequency speakers don't just cut out though and it is worth noting that reflex cabs cut off more sharply than closed cabs 18-24 dB/octave as opposed to 6-12.