Poll: Why did you join/make a band?
Poll Options
View poll results: Why did you join/make a band?
For fun
109 59%
For money
3 2%
Bit of both of the above
43 23%
Cos Kensai told me.
29 16%
Voters: 184.
Page 1 of 2
Hey pit, I was thinking about why someone would make or join a band.
I mean, is it for fun or do you want money/make a living from it, or maybe a bit of both?
Those of you who aren't in one can lurk and feel miserable.

POLL COMING

Quote by CoreysMonster
I'm not in a band, I just play with myself.

Haha, nice one xD
For fun and because I love making and playing music with people and I love playing shows.
Being in a band costs more money than it makes.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Last edited by StreetLight3989 at Nov 1, 2009,
Maybe because I enjoy making music with other people. I guess that sort of ties in with the "just for fun" option, but not really.
Rocking out. And to acquire money without doing much physical labor.
He's no good to me dead-Boba Fett
Quote by alexmonty12
For fun, although I would hope to make money out of it one day.

this for I
Ibanez sz720fm,Ibbly RG350DX, Custom Tele-> Dunlop 535Q->RAT Pro co II-> Ibanez Fuzz->Marshall Haze 40.
Tascam US-800 and a hand full of Mics into Nedundo 4

my music, new recording on the way in 2014

[B]insert witty italicized quote here
For fun. I will probably never make any serious money with this type of music, but it gives me something to do on my free time. Besides, there are more aspects to a band than just making music. You have a great time hanging out with the other members, if they aren't retarded douche bags that is.
What else could I being doing that's worthwhile?
Gear:
08' Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ Vintage 30
Peavy Vypyr 15 watt
MXR 10 Band EQ
MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss DS-1
Dunlop 535Q Wah

Death to all butt metal.
to help my friend out. their rhythm guitarist wouldnt turn up to any practices and their bassist wanted to play rhythm so he did and i started doing bass. i was already doing sound/occasional synth.
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
People are doing what there good in. So you got people who are very good in making music en earn money with it. Some people doing it for fun but also earn money for it, these guys are just lucky xD, I do it for money and adventure, you meet many new people in a hole new world!
Being in a band costs a lot of money. You barely make anything. It's just for fun and for the love of the music. Unless you can get signed by a legitimate label, you can't make much anything.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
I'm not in a band. I'm in a solo project. But there was nothing for me to go solo from, so I'm actually just a lonely dictator with no one to dictate. Which is just how I like it.

But honestly, playing in a band is fun and all, but you gotta put food on the table. When a band becomes your life, you can't have a real job if you're too busy touring. So yeah, you start to chase money. You have too. How else are you going to eat? Support a family? Pay for gas to get to your next gig?

I don't care what any of you say. If you're a touring band, money will always be an object of importance. If you're honestly "in it for the music" and you honestly don't care about money, then sit at home and put up your mp3's on myspace, because chances are you've never attempted a long distance tour.
Nice to see people are following my advices.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
cos I pretty much live for music maybe?
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
I joined a band to get laid...

Still hasnt happened
Quote by WantsLesPaul
I get such a big rush from downloading torrents that I just have to cum all over my face right at that moment.
Well, I started one to make music with my friends. But we haven't done shit since july and when we go to practice they want to play one song and go downstairs and play DBZ.

We sailed through endless skies...

Quote by King Twili

if someone sigs this i will be fairly displeased.

Lady Gaga has a penis! >>EVIDENCE<<

i¯i▀▀▀i¯i‾°δ‾‾Pך]█████████████████████████
Quote by alexmonty12
For fun, although I would hope to make money out of it one day.

This. Plus I love writing music with people, and you meet so many cool people playing shows.
Schecter
Guitars!
Can everyone please stop sucking the **** up to Kensai? Thanks

"Oh my god? What is this place?"

"I'm pretty sure it's hell"
"No guys, this place is far worse, i think its heaven."

for revoltion

still got a while to go til thats possible for me though

████████████████████

███████████████████████
███████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████████

█████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████

█████████████████████

████████████████████
Joined a band 'cause I used to love playing the guitar and hanging out with friends however my passion to play seems to have left me recently. The only reason I do it now seems to be becasue I dont want to let my friends down.
for fun and money.

ok. there's no shame in being in a band to make money. if that's what you're best at you have an obligation to pursue it as your career. i'm in school to become a professional musician. i want to play to make a living. i also happen to love it though.

in addition, my main band right now is purely for fun. all money we make is funneled back into the band to buy more merch or CDs or gas money to shows.

we have the time of our lives. and we affect other people positively. people have come to our shows and said seeing us play made them quit doing drugs. to create that positive energy in a room for 45 minutes and make people feel happy and feel like part of something bigger is awesome. the show is just as much about the crowd as it is the band. it's addicting to be a part of that experience.
#DTWD
im not in a band, i have a solo project. its great cause i hate dealing with musicians.
Quote by TotZ
Can everyone please stop sucking the **** up to Kensai? Thanks

Just because they aren't sucking up to you.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
I want to make music I like, share it with others and use it as a release.
Simple.

Quote by Spoonman69
Rap is music,far better than metal for example. id much rather hear about hoes and anal sex than dragons and supressed homosexuality.
Quote by Good Boy Rocker
People are doing what there good in. So you got people who are very good in making music en earn money with it. Some people doing it for fun but also earn money for it, these guys are just lucky xD, I do it for money and adventure, you meet many new people in a hole new world!

awesome grammar bro

"My name is Forrest, Forrest Gump. People call me Forrest Gump"
My band is no more, but I was in it because writing and then playing live music is the shiznazz
The reason I write/play music (not in a band...but I still play to the occasional person) is for fun and to entertain myself and others.

I have realised that I won't get money or girls from it, so I won't even try, I'll just enjoy it
Page 1 of 2