Hellos everyone. Let me elaborate on the tittle.
I've been playing acoustic guitar for about 2 months. Few days ago I decided I wanted to play
a few songs in Drop D and Drop C that I like, so I tunned my guitar down, which was
fairly easy, and played the songs. When I finished I tunned my guitar back to Standard.
A bit later I noticed some buzzing near the 7th fret on the A string, also near the 9th fret
on the low E string, and when playing power chords, I can't strum hard lower than the
8th fret to the hole or I get a buzzing from the frets. My theory is when tunning the
strings back and forth, they became less tight as they were before so they vibrate more now,
and that's why I get buzzing from the frets.

My question would be: Did I mess up my strings by tunning an acoustic guitar to Drop D
and Drop C to play rock and power chords? And if I did, Changing the strings will fix
my problem?
Hope you guy can help a noob.

Threads I read before making a new one:
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Quote by deucedeucemr2
My knight in shining armor.

Quote by kstar22bassist
I like you sir. I would like to congratulate you on how awesome you are. You make me think that there is hope for humanity yet.

Quote by Venice King
Last edited by KrlzGmz at Nov 1, 2009,
Perhaps they weren't properly stretched before? But that usually only affects tuning stability...
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
there isn't enough tension in your strings which is why they are buzzing. you need heavier strings for those tunings.
Well, I can't tighten them anymore, I'm already on standard. So, I have to get used to
the buzzing?

And oddly, I didn't get any buzzing on Drop C.
Quote by deucedeucemr2

Quote by kstar22bassist
I like you sir. I would like to congratulate you on how awesome you are. You make me think that there is hope for humanity yet.

Quote by Venice King
Last edited by KrlzGmz at Nov 1, 2009,
Or buy bigger strings.
Quote by Holy Katana
Your last job only paid you $7.00 AUD an hour? That's like $6.05 in the US. What the hell is the minimum wage over there?

Quote by titsmcgee852
$0 for volunteer work

ollollolollol

^
I have a new set of strings that came with the guitar. I guess I'm just gonna try my luck, change
them, and hope the buzzing goes away...
Thanks for the help everyone.
Quote by deucedeucemr2

Quote by kstar22bassist

Quote by Venice King
I noticed some buzzing from my strings, I ignored it, then one day, midway through Don't look back in Anger by oasis BAM! My machine head breaks and falls apart. turns out the screw in the top was loose from constantly tuning to obscure tunings lol and heavy strumming. Anyway, I decided to take all the strings off, take all the machine heads off, mull them apart, clean them, re oil them (pastry brush and standard car oil is fine) and then put them back together tight.

But it couldve been alot worse, If i was unlucky, the screw couldve snapped when i tuned, wedged in the cog mechanism and shredded the entire machine costing me the price of a new chrome tuner.

The morale of the story, DONT IGNORE IT!
Music is an art form that celebrates potential. So long as you're looking for it, you'll always find it.
Quote by KrlzGmz
Hellos everyone. Let me elaborate on the tittle.
I've been playing acoustic guitar for about 2 months. Few days ago I decided I wanted to play
a few songs in Drop D and Drop C that I like, so I tunned my guitar down, which was
fairly easy, and played the songs. When I finished I tunned my guitar back to Standard.
A bit later I noticed some buzzing near the 7th fret on the A string, also near the 9th fret
on the low E string, and when playing power chords, I can't strum hard lower than the
8th fret to the hole or I get a buzzing from the frets. My theory is when tunning the
strings back and forth, they became less tight as they were before so they vibrate more now,
and that's why I get buzzing from the frets.

My question would be: Did I mess up my strings by tunning an acoustic guitar to Drop D
and Drop C to play rock and power chords? And if I did, Changing the strings will fix
my problem?
Hope you guy can help a noob.

Threads I read before making a new one:
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Sounds like a typical problem when switching back and forth between tunings. The neck of the guitar has been set to give the required fretboard relief at standard tuning, but when lowering that tuning for drop tunings, the neck can tend to straighten out some from the truss rod acting on it. Then when you go back to standard, the neck may not be returning to it's previous state when last tuned to standard. There's some give and take here and you can't have the best of both worlds if you want to continually switch between tunings. Some people overcome this by having different guitars setup for the various tunings. If your neck is ok with it, you can adjust the truss to give the required relief for one tuning, then readjust it for the other. I don't suggest you do this tho as you will eventually wear out the truss rod from all the excessive adjustments made to it. The guitar will be healthier if left in one particular tuning and be properly setup for that tuning.
To fix your current problem, put on a new set of strings and tune up to standard. Make sure you prestretch the steel strings so that they hold their tuning better. I'd go with .012's as this is the standard size for the majority of steel strings. If you go bigger and want to keep the guitar in lower tunings, expect to have to make a truss rod adjustment to compensate for the different tension placed on the neck so that you get the right fretboard relief.