I've been making a Warmoth-build Thinline Telecaster. Two humbuckers, 3-way switch, 250k volume pot and the jack are the only electronics in it. I followed the wiring diagram on the Seymour Duncan website exactly and I have changed pickups and things in all my other guitars before and never encountered this problem.

It's humming like crazy, and I mean as in, I'm getting more hum on a completely clean channel with this guitar than I do with my Strat's single coils with medium gain. Quite clearly, something has gone very wrong. I can't tell what though because I did nothing differently this time than I have done any other time. The hum does go away completely when I touch any metal element, so I assume this is a grounding problem, but I can't work out where that would be as I had everything very securely soldered. I haven't bothered to shield the guitar in any way, but I can't believe that is it because two of my other guitars aren't shielded in any way and they don't hum at all.

Any ideas how I can work out what it is?
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Are the pickups Seymour Duncans?
And I'd shield it anyways, either with copper shielding tape, or conductive paint (Which your other guitars might have).
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
I'd still check for continuity across all your ground connections - in my experience you can have what looks like a decent solder joint on a ground, but since its usually to a bigger chunk of metal (back of pot, trem claw, etc.) and takes more heat to get a good solder, a cold solder joint is more likely.
The bridge is a Duncan (Hot Rails), the neck is a Swineshead which uses the exact same wiring as Duncans do.

As far as shielding goes, no my other two literally do not have any shielding at all, no foil or paint in 'em anywhere and they don't hum. I've never noticed a difference between shielded and non-shielded even with single coils anyway; then again I've never played anywhere near fluorescent lights or anything of that nature. So I'm certain that's not the issue.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
The only other thing that makes sense is the wiring gone faulty somewhere. Either a cold joint, or accidently switched the hot and ground. It's really the only thing that makes sense.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by Baby Joel
or accidently switched the hot and ground. It's really the only thing that makes sense.

I'd go with that - check that you have hot and ground wired correctly at the jack.
no, if it stops humming when you touch it then the grounding is fine. don't know what to tell you though. I shielded my bullet for the hell of it to see if it would help any, and it did get rid of a little hum (it's not dead quite, but it's better)

other than shielding, idk dude.
As far as the jack goes, it all looks secure - the ground wire from the back of the volume pot (which everything else is ground to) is soldered to the sleeve (the top tab, as Seymour Duncan diagrams list it) and the hot from the hot middle tab of the volume pot is soldered to the lower tab (which SD diagrams list as the 'tip' and is underneath the sleeve/ground tab).

This is why I don't get it, because I've followed the SD diagrams exactly, I've done this on other guitars and never had this problem. I figured it was grounded properly because the hum does go away completely when I touch any metal componant. It's just bizarre that a guitar with two humbuckers would have more buzz on a clean channel than single coils do with gain.

EDIT: found out what it was! Turns out it wasn't the guitar at all. Somehow, someway, the power socket my amp is plugged into has... I don't know, gone wrong. Anyway, using the same guitar, cable and amp in a different socket got rid of all the hum. To be fair, the wiring in this house is dodgy, outdated and unsafe from the early 60's.

So oh well. All that fuss for nothing (at least, nothing guitar-related).
Last edited by MrFlibble at Nov 2, 2009,