I've recently notice that I have been having problems with something in my signal path.

i thought I had noticed this a while ago when I had a small bedroom practice amp and I messed with my tone knob and the amp got a helluva lot louder and then it got quiet again when i had turned it off and put the guitar down.

Now I have a Marshall MG100HFX head through a 4x12 cab and I noticed something similar, although this time I was just playing and it got louder for a little bit.

I was just wondering if there may be faulty wiring in something and how I would go about finding and fixing whatever problem this is.

This is my signal Path:

Epiphone Special II.\
Passive Pickups......|----Dunlop Original Wah-----Marshall Head
1 tone, 1volume...../

I have an Ibanez 15' cable from the Guitar to the pedal and another cable I don't know what it is from the pedal to the head.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Check the tubes on the amp, they may be dying, or faulty, and the power amp might be acting up because of that. I know I had a tube problem where the amp was changing channel on me, so they can do alot of weird things when they screw up. If not, it might be something in the pickups, or something in your cable, but I'd expect it to be something with the guitar or amp, not the cable.
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
Quote by britishsligean
well it could be a combo of having an mg and a special 2 both are not liked much on ug

I don't like the Special II either... I don't see how anyone could.

But as for the MG, it is (supposedly) a new version (MG4) and imho, it sounds pretty damn good.

And ya, guitar skater, I was thinking it was the cables but even if I only use one of them, I don't know what triggers it to get louder, so i don't know how to test them.

EDIT:

^ to muse, it isn't a tube amp, it is a digital, and I wouldn't doubt a problem with the pickups either. But both amps I have used it on have had this happen, neither of the tubes (unfortunately)

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Last edited by MonkeyLink07 at Nov 1, 2009,
Quote by muse-ik
Check the tubes on the amp, they may be dying, or faulty, and the power amp might be acting up because of that. I know I had a tube problem where the amp was changing channel on me, so they can do alot of weird things when they screw up. If not, it might be something in the pickups, or something in your cable, but I'd expect it to be something with the guitar or amp, not the cable.

you do know the mg is one of ug's most hated solid state amps
Not any more than the frontman, which is so underrated it's ridiculous. The fact that it is a Special II answers the problem. It's more than likely the pups and the pots. Both are terrible stock with the Special II. Unless your cables are just that bad, I garuntee it's the pots and the pups.
Quote by muse-ik

it`s solid state, but my guess would be something on the power amp side, take it to a amp tech.
Aren't wahs notorious for suckig tone?

Maybe it's a problem with a cable a the wah.

Do a guess and check checklist.
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!