So I've been playing guitar for about one year. I consider myself to be pretty good, I've gotten to know many of the scales and modes and have had good practice with them.

My question is: Would you still recommend me switching to right-handed guitar? I mean, guitars are cheaper, and there's a much bigger amount of guitars available to the public.

It'd be great if someone who's made a similar change tell me how long it takes.
It's like you're starting over. The muscles have to be trained just like they did when you started initially, it's just a different configuration. Muscle memory is what builds dexterity and skill on guitar, as well as coordination, and it only comes from performing the same set of exercises repeatedly for prolonged periods of time.

Do what's comfortable for you. There are plenty of left handed players that do just fine.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Your brain has been using your left hand instead of your right, and it has spent years developing it.

Switching hands is no small task. You are going to be a total beginner all over again (At least in technique). So if you want to go through with this, you will want to keep the fact that it's going to be a slow process in mind, and not to give up.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
I'm left-handed. If I changed to playing right handed I would be driven insane with my sudden lack of technical ability.

It would be like learning from the beginning, except worse.

Not to mention great left-handed guitars do exist, and in the case of mine for the same price as the left-handed version.

I would NEVER reccomend making this change. You started playing left-handed because it was more comfortable for you, to play right-handed would be foolish and incredibly hindering.
Last edited by Notmewtwoguitar at Nov 1, 2009,
I'm a lefty too, it always felt natural to me that way.

When you go into a guitar store, there is always very few left handed guitars..that used to discourage me. But go online, and there is plenty to choose from. Jackson makes a few left handed models so I'm happy
Quote by Arty905
I have a close friend (left-handed) who was forced by his guitar teacher to learn right-handed. (because that's the only proper way to play) Srsly, people like that should not be allowed to procreate.

Anyway, my friend made horrible progress for a couple of years. Two, maybe three.
He finally gave up guitar.
I convinced him to start playing again. But this time with a left-handed guitar.
It took him all of about 3 months to surpass his two or three year progress of playing right-handed.

Cheaper guitars available for righties? So what. Deal with it.

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.

lefties are cool, bro
Quote by St. Angry
youre right. i just checked the dvd i have agian and it is in D standard. i dont think Metallica has ever done a song in drop D, or drop C for that matter.

^Check his username again
Quote by WaltzingArmy

lefties are cool, bro

Ehh only 1,2 and 4 I think 3 is lame
Eh.
Well, being a left handed person, that tried playing the guitar left handed at first, i realized that it would be a tough road with everything being right handed and all, i started playing right handed, and i literally couldn`t strum correctly, and for the time i gave up. But, i came back and i`ve learned the guitar and have been playing for about 3 years, and im really happy with the deciscion i made to play right handed. Having my LEFT hand that is doing most of the hard complex stuff, makes it easier for me cause im more coordinated in my left hand, which makes it easier for me to do things like hammers and pull offs, whereas i assume learning that with my right hand would`ve been a bit more difficult.

If you end up switching, it will be hard at first to break that beginning barrier, but once your break it you`ll fly off in progression.
Thanks for the comments! Now that I realize it, i wouldn't have it any other way.

I didn't mention this at first, but I started playing the guitar right-handed, mostly because of availability (right-handed guitar in my family). I didn't notice anything wrong with my learning speed, until i decided to buy a cheapy Target model and flip the nut. If I remember correctly, I surpassed a couple of weeks of learning right handed in just a day! Well, I'm convinced

Also, the left-handed Swede that Hagstrom manufactures is great. I bought myself a goldtop Swede a month ago. Its a dream
Quote by Arty905
So I've been playing guitar for about one year. I consider myself to be pretty good, I've gotten to know many of the scales and modes and have had good practice with them.

My question is: Would you still recommend me switching to right-handed guitar? I mean, guitars are cheaper, and there's a much bigger amount of guitars available to the public.

thats not really the only reason to switch. lefty gutiars just shouldnt exist. you dont see it anywhere else and lefties get by just fine. but after a year of playing, id say dont bother. you'll just get frustrated and probably switch back anyway.
I'm left handed and I would see playing a left handed guitar almost as a plus. I mean, sure they're a bit more expensive, but I have yet to meet a rightie who doesn't struggle to wrap his mind around me playing a "backwards" guitar. I think that in itself is enough to stay with a leftie guitar.
That, my friend, was a fail of epic proportions!

The Pit's new name:
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Gentleman's Society for the Careful Discussion of Sensitive Issues, Covering (But Not Limited To) Religion, Politics, Fruit and The Female Form.

MY GOATS WERE CRYING
Just stay the way you are, if you are confy JUST STAY GODDAMIT. I regret not starting lefty, im a lefty and since all i found was righty... Seriously, not even ONE lefty, not even in photos i was able to see one...

My sis still tells me it's not too late to switch (been playing 6+ years and have toured on the Caribbean as a bass player lol, i gotta give that a lot of thought). And then she says i would be just like MAB playing both sides at the same time... (I don't wanna be MAB even if we got the same names...). Just stay lefty and never talk again about switching for lords sake...
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
thats not really the only reason to switch. lefty gutiars just shouldnt exist. you dont see it anywhere else and lefties get by just fine. but after a year of playing, id say dont bother. you'll just get frustrated and probably switch back anyway.

I agree.

Why exactly is one guitar a 'lefty'? Well. it's the reverse of a 'regular' guitar. But there is nothing about a regular guitar that makes it a 'righty'.

I'm a lefty who started on a regular guitar. No issues. I didn't even know reverse guitars existed...and I'm glad I didn't.

In life the only asdvantage of pursuing a left handed role was in sports. I excelled at Judo and table tennis. I was the regional Judo champ for my weight class in large part because opponents were usually out of their element fighting me. I was used to fighting righties but they weren't use to fighting lefties. I went to the provincials and lost to another lefty.