Recently my band have been succesful in finding a number of vocalists who want to audition as a vocalist.

Thing is, we have never done this before so i need a bit of advice on how to turn down someones audition etc etc.
As in how not to hurt them? I'd tell them "You're good, but not exactly what we're looking for at the moment. Keep at it though!"
Don't decide the first try. Let everyone do their thing, ask for people to come back for a second round and stuff. But don't toss ehm away after the first audition!
Yeah if they come back a second time it shows they will be commited and are ready to sing for your band and not ditch you later on
GEAR :

Ibanez SA260FM
Burswood Strat Copy
Marshall GV-2 Distortion
Crate FlexWave 120 Amp

tell them thanks, we'll let you know if you made it.
then you never call them back, simple.
You have to, ethically, contact them. Typically, you should contact them via the same means they contacted you.

But really.... they gave up their time to learn some songs and to come out and jam with you. Not getting back to them is nothing less than inconsiderate and rude.

Contact them back, but rather than tell them that they weren't good enough, tell them that you have chosen somebody else, and then describe what that 'somebody else' had or offered that set him/her apart from the ones who were not chosen. Be sure to thank them for their time in coming out. Try to find something nice and positive to say about what they did during their audition.

Leave things on a positve note. You never know when you'll run into these people again.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by pandora_grunt
Don't decide the first try. Let everyone do their thing, ask for people to come back for a second round and stuff. But don't toss ehm away after the first audition!

Unless they're REALLY bad.
Quote by TV-Casualty
tell them thanks, we'll let you know if you made it.
then you never call them back, simple.

I hate those people.
Quote by axemanchris
But really.... they gave up their time to learn some songs and to come out and jam with you. Not getting back to them is nothing less than inconsiderate and rude.
QFT. If you're so wimpy that you take the easy/lazy way out to avoid your obligation, do you even deserve to have a band?

Quote by axemanchris
Contact them back, but rather than tell them that they weren't good enough, tell them that you have chosen somebody else, and then describe what that 'somebody else' had or offered that set him/her apart from the ones who were not chosen.
This is useful to the person who auditioned for you. If the reason you chose the other person is something that they don't want to be like, then they know they were just a wrong fit for your band. If it's something they want to be good at, they'll know to work a bit harder at that.

Quote by axemanchris
Try to find something nice and positive to say about what they did during their audition.
No matter how bad someone was, you can find something good about what they did. This will give them some sense of self-worth and your appreciation.

Quote by axemanchris
Leave things on a positve note. You never know when you'll run into these people again.
Above all things, this ^

People have a way of improving over time. Some really horrible players/vocalists have made remarkable improvements. A year from now, the guy you turned down in this band might be exactly who you're looking for. If you were rude or neglectful, why would they want to associate with you?

Also, people talk. If you get a rep for being rude or neglectful, you'll soon find it hard to get anyone to audition for you. It's just good business sense to be honest and polite.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

People have a way of improving over time. Some really horrible players/vocalists have made remarkable improvements. A year from now, the guy you turned down in this band might be exactly who you're looking for. If you were rude or neglectful, why would they want to associate with you?

Thanks for the support.

True story.... a friend of mine that I went to school with was from Kingston, Ontario. He was in the music program at Queens University, and was a percussion major. As most university kids do, this guy was in a band, and they were looking for a singer. They flew up some ads in music stores and such and had some people out.

I remember him telling me, "Yeah, this one guy who came out.... he was a decent - even good - singer.... but he was just so.... out there. He was too weird for us, so we picked someone else."

The weird guy..... Gord Downie, who eventually went on to form the Tragically Hip.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

The advice from axeman and SYK works in other situations too. I've had to interview people for jobs, and I always made sure I never left people hanging, the way some people/companies do. I've been on the other side too, and I'd much rather be told I'm out, than be left wondering. Also let them know as soon as you can after the decision is made. It really is the best way to handle it for all involved.
"Do unto others as you'd have others do unto you."

Unless you're a nihilist or masochist....that is.
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
Quote by Guitartist
"Do unto others as you'd have others do unto you."

Unless you're a nihilist or masochist....that is.

why make exeptions?

seriousy, how u liking that bad horsie 2? i'm in the market for a new wah, and the bh2's have intrigued me. is yours one of the pot-less ones? how do you like it for high gain tones?

oh, um, OP... don't do (too many) drugs (at once).
Quote by GrisKy
why make exeptions?

seriousy, how u liking that bad horsie 2? i'm in the market for a new wah, and the bh2's have intrigued me. is yours one of the pot-less ones? how do you like it for high gain tones?

oh, um, OP... don't do (too many) drugs (at once).

I like it. I think it excels more at higher gain stuff actually. It's good for cleans, too - but not the best.

It does have a pot, but not for activating or deactivating the wah - it's to switch between the user-defined contour and level vs the standard countour and level....which is a nice little feature, if you use it.

It automatically cuts on and off when you step on or off the pedal....however - there is a slight delay (a little less than 1 second) after letting off the pedal, which you have to get used to. You have to time it right to get a seemless transition.

I plan on getting a Fulltone Clyde Deluxe to put near the front of my chain for clean wah, and putting the Morley at the end of my chain for distorted wah....

...whenever I run out of other shit to spend money on, that is....
Gear

Marshall TSL 601
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
You can eliminate the 1 sec. delay on the BH 2, by resetting a trim pot inside the pedal. Did it to mine, and I like it much better that way.

Edit: Sorry, I don't think this is possible on older versions. I got mine about 18 months ago, and this feature had already been added. I'm not sure when Morley added it.
Last edited by chokmool at Nov 4, 2009,
so the pot is like an adjustable Q then? pretty sweet. and chok, thanks for the tip! i've been using a cfh wah for forever now, and it's great for high gain, but waaay too harsh on cleans, and i've always liked the bh2 for clean... great to hear someone else thinks it's great for gain too! ok, sorry, 'nuff thread jacking. thanks guys!
Quote by chokmool
You can eliminate the 1 sec. delay on the BH 2, by resetting a trim pot inside the pedal. Did it to mine, and I like it much better that way.

How would you go about doing that?
Quote by axemanchris
Thanks for the support.

True story.... a friend of mine that I went to school with was from Kingston, Ontario. He was in the music program at Queens University, and was a percussion major. As most university kids do, this guy was in a band, and they were looking for a singer. They flew up some ads in music stores and such and had some people out.

I remember him telling me, "Yeah, this one guy who came out.... he was a decent - even good - singer.... but he was just so.... out there. He was too weird for us, so we picked someone else."

The weird guy..... Gord Downie, who eventually went on to form the Tragically Hip.

CT

That, my friend, is an awesome story.
+1 to actually calling them. The "we'll call you if you get it" is crap.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
"sorry dude, we'd love to have you but, well i kinda lost the cover for my usb stick this morning. I'm sure you understand"

"sorry dude, we can't give you the part, we're kinda making a salad at the moment and we can't exactly take our eyes off it"

or

"hey mate, sorry we can't offer you the vocalist position, I'm baking a cake at the moment and i need to make sure it doesn't overcook"
"Next!"

"NEEEEEEEEECKST!!!!"

"NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKST!!!!"

"DEBBIE!!!"

"DEBBIE!!!!!"

"NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Gear

Marshall TSL 601
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
No definitely give them the common courtesy of a reply saying no. Never burn bridges. You never know where you might meet up with them again in the future.

Just say thanks for trying out but we have found someone that we think fits the position best. Thank you for coming out, we really appreciate your time and effort.

No getting back is just a dick thing to do.
Quote by Lauren Bateman
No definitely give them the common courtesy of a reply saying no. Never burn bridges. You never know where you might meet up with them again in the future.

Just say thanks for trying out but we have found someone that we think fits the position best. Thank you for coming out, we really appreciate your time and effort.

No getting back is just a dick thing to do.

This is very important in the business.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
So, we just had some auditions last night for a guitarist for our Green Day tribute we're putting together.

Here was my 'you've been turned down' letter:

Hey XXXXXXX;

Thanks so much for coming out last night!

Overall I thought things went quite well. You made the trek from Brampton and arrived early. You were there before I was! Though it helps that you guys have played together before, the three of you had an instant rapport which was cool. I got a good personal impression too. It helps to make a person easy to work with.

We asked for three or four songs and you knew all four. In terms of arrangements, they were almost there. Your tone seemed to fit quite well I thought. We were especially pleased that you had the tremolo effect for Boulevard of Broken Dreams dialed in pretty close.

We played each song twice, and on the second time through, they improved significantly, as we would all hope for.

We did unanimously decide on the guy who came in after you though. He had the tempos, solos and backing vocals down to a 'T'. Though there was one song he hadn't learned of the four songs we requested, he had the other seven songs from our setlist down - arrangements and all and sounded quite confident with them. The end result was that we sounded much better overall playing with him, even on the first run through each song.

So, as I say, it was successful, but the end result with the other guy just left us much more excited about the future of the project.

We do genuinely appreciate the time you gave us in learning the songs and coming out. We could easily have played with you and we'll keep you in mind if this other guy doesn't work out.

Thanks again!

Chris

Just providing that for what I feel to be a good example of how to do it.

CT