Ok, so im going to list what gear i have to try to get a tom scholz tone.

The amp im using is a fender hot rod deluxe, all stock.
I have a Rockman compressor and phaser rack mounts
A charvel So-cal all stock

I can get the foundation of his tone on the boston album, but its not quite there, right now im using a 3 1/2 treble, 6 bass, 9 mids on the amp, and the treble booster is at about half on the rockman, help please!
If you are using the stock distortion on the hot rod, then you are not gonna get to his tone, you'll to buy a new amp, or buy a good distortion pedal.
Quote by charvel1124
Ok, so im going to list what gear i have to try to get a tom scholz tone.

The amp im using is a fender hot rod deluxe, all stock.
I have a Rockman compressor and phaser rack mounts
A charvel So-cal all stock

I can get the foundation of his tone on the boston album, but its not quite there, right now im using a 3 1/2 treble, 6 bass, 9 mids on the amp, and the treble booster is at about half on the rockman, help please!

First of all. How badly do you want the "Boston Sound"? cause you're never going to get even remotely close with the HRD. Here is a quick Run Down of the gear used on the first album.

68' Gibson Les Paul Standard with P90s or Dimarzio Super Distortions (there are some arguments either way, I personally like the DiMarzio SD's more)
Marshall Superlead 100 plexi CRANKED
Scholz power soak (any attenuator will do)
MXR Distortion + (Gotta have a pre 80s one)
A "doubler" that Scholz made him self. (nothing more than a glorified chorus, a Boss CE 2 would work well here)
a Crybaby or Vox V847 (I've heard Both ways, I suggest the crybaby though)
a MXR 6 band EQ Set with 800 hrz at +10db 400 hrz and + 8db 200 and 100 both at - 3 db. 3.2k is at +8 db and 1.6k is a -3db. this is part of the key to the Boston sound
A Echoplex set to about 250 ms for rhythm guitar's and 300 for leads. a good analog delay will work (memory man/boy and carbon copy's are great for the price)

there are some other misc things that he used but this is essentially the Boston sound. here is what I suggest you do if you want the Boston sound off the first two albums.

Sell your HRD. and whatever guitar you have and go buy:
Marshall JMP1 or ADA MP1 (200-250)
a Good EL34 Power amp (300-450)
and a Les Paul with DiMarzio Pickups (400-2000)

a alternative to this is buying a Laney AOR (300) or Ceriatone Plexi (700) and buying a MXR EQ (50) and setting it like Scholz's. you must have a Les Paul though, it's a huge part of his sound

now if you want a more third stage sound I suggest Rockman Equipment (still does a great first and second albums sound if you set it right) it will also do 80s rock and some 80s thrash stuff very very well.

so if you want the later albums sounds + the older stuff done pretty good. and basically every 80s rock album in the world. get rockman gear, here is a good start.

Rockman Sustainor 100 (200)
Rockman Chorus/Delay (150)
31b EQ (100-250)

one more thing you could do to get the Boston sound is buy a Rockman X100 or one of the other headphone amps, they can be had for under 150 and will be great for someone who just wants to play around from time to time.

EDIT: I see that you have a "rockman Phaser" Scholz R&D never made a phaser, are you sure you don't have the chorus.

I also forgot to mention. you NEED NEED NEED to put the Rockman equipment through full range speakers or you'll be like this sounds like crap.
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Last edited by Bostonrocks at Nov 1, 2009,
^that was a couple of weeks ago that Bostonrocks posted that and I think he is out of pocket for the next few days. Your best bet is to send him a PM. He is our in-house Tom Scholz expert. I was the one that tipped him off about your thread to begin with and yes, ditch the HRD.

you're definately not goign to get close wtih an HDR
if you just want it close enough to say tones like "Rock n Roll Band" and Don't Look Back, a pre 1980 MXR distortion, a p-90 equipped guitar possibly some type of brighter Marshall or I could get it convincing enough out of my ac30HH

but if you want dead on go with BostonRocks suggestions obviously, p-90s are a big part of his sound though
Yeah, im not that concerned with being exact, and i've gotten close enough to what i want with my rockman. I like my amp for to many other things to ditch it.
if you are not to concerned about being exact. here's what you should do.

Get a MXR distortion + from the 80s would be fine. set the amp really middy with a fair amount of treble and not too much bass on the clean channel with maybe a little bit of gain to break it up. set the chorus on the rockman to a low depth and set the delay at 250ms in the "wide" mode (IIRC) also use the compressor.

and just so you know. Scholz R&D never made a rack phaser. do you have pictures of this??
Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
If you can't tell this guy (^) likes Boston, you should listen to him... Exclusively, at least on this site, on this topic.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Sorry for the off topic post.

I have an old MXR (innovations) Distortion + block logo but no led and no AC adapter. Where are you guys looking to date these?
By the way. the guy who said P90s are a big part of his sound is absolutley wrong. P90s can get you close to some of the first albums stuff. but something higher output is needed for anything else.
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Both of his main Les Pauls had Super Distortions in. One had them both in the neck and bridge, the other in just the bridge. You won't be doing it without a Les Paul with Super Distortions.

Apparently the 80's Super Distortions are different to today's in the tone they produce but I'm not a expert.