So ive been away from home since friday. And I got back today, went to play guitar and my amp isn't doing anything. I tried it without pedels, just amp to guitar, still nothing. No sound at all. BUT if I turn gain to full, I get some sound, extreamly quiet tho.

Its the Blackstar HT-5 head with marshall 1936 cab.

I look after my gear, volumes always at 0. I wait at least a minute before I turn amp on from standbye. Cab always connected. So I really don't know what it could be. The ONLY thing that im thinking could effect it. Is that we have been having problems with heating so the house has been a bit cold. Maybe the valves need longer to warm up? Ive had it on standbye for ages now tho and still nothing.

Only brought it in feburary as well new.

Halp?
Quote by roythereaper
Nice bum >.> <.<
Quote by Led Dirigible
Are the tubes lighting up? Might be a dead power tube. That's the first thing that comes to my mind, at least.

ah yeah forgot to mention. One of them is, but the one of the left isn't. Well theres a tiny bit of light from the bottom. But not as strong as the other.
Quote by roythereaper
Nice bum >.> <.<
Quote by stratele
ah yeah forgot to mention. One of them is, but the one of the left isn't. Well theres a tiny bit of light from the bottom. But not as strong as the other.

I would jump on replacing that one weak tube then. That could most certainly be your problem.
Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-1960 Yamaha Orange Sticker Acoustic
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
Ok well I know nothing about valves. And it will need to be changed asap.

What kinda valves should I go for? and could I replace it myself?
Quote by roythereaper
Nice bum >.> <.<
Tung-Sol 12AX7 for the preamp, then for the power amp your only choice is an EHX 12BH7.

That being said, if it isn't dark in your room you won't see the preamp tube light up. Which of your tubes is glowing? (the one at the back of the amp with the springs holding it down is the power tube)
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by ch0
Tung-Sol 12AX7 for the preamp, then for the power amp your only choice is an EHX 12BH7.

That being said, if it isn't dark in your room you won't see the preamp tube light up. Which of your tubes is glowing? (the one at the back of the amp with the springs holding it down is the power tube)

yeaah I saw you other post in the other thread. Its the power amp then. And my only choice is the EHX one then?

Safe to change myself?
Quote by roythereaper
Nice bum >.> <.<
Quote by stratele
yeaah I saw you other post in the other thread. Its the power amp then. And my only choice is the EHX one then?

Safe to change myself?
EHX is the only manufacturer for the 12BH7. And yep, just pull the old one and plug in a new one.

You'll likely have to have one ordered, or just order one off the internet somewhere. They aren't very common tubes.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
The EHX valve came through today. But I think i messed up lol.

The valve with springs is lit like normal. The one at the back of the amp (when you look through the grill) is not lit as much..

Have I gone and brought a power amp tube when what i need was a pre amp tube.

I miss read your post lol
Quote by roythereaper
Nice bum >.> <.<
Rather confused now..

I just plugged it all back in to double check what valve is glowing.

I decided to plug guitar in. And the thing works! The amp now produces sound when I didnt sunday and monday. And I havnt changed or moved a thing!!

So now I have a EHX 12BH7 Valve. Now is this the power or pre amp valve?

Inside the amp, the one nearest to the grills with the springs on it. Whats that?
The one near the back, the marshall valve whats that?

Confuseedd
Quote by roythereaper
Nice bum >.> <.<
The preamp tube socket is a bit recessed, so you can't see the actual socket. The power tube socket should be easily visible, and has retension springs to keep the tube secure. You should unscrew the back panel so you know exactly what you are looking at.

I think you are confusing people, because you are saying the tube "in the back", but you are looking from the back of the amplifier, so it's really the tube closest to the front of the amp.

The BH7 is used as the power tube for the HT5. As for the preamp tube, the stock tube in mine was a Sovtek, which really don't light up bright in any amps I've had them in. Unless they are completely dead or red plating, it's very hard to tell by looking at tubes if they are bad or not.

Maybe your guitar cable has gone south or something, since you haven't even taken the tubes out of the sockets right?
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
I know nothing of the Blackstar HT-5, but usually when you replace power tubes, your supposed to replace both of them at the same time, with a matched pair. If you pull out the bad one and put in a new one, then the other old tube will just burn out, then you have to replace both anyway.

Idk about the Blackstar though, typically tube amps will have a minimum of two power tubes regardless of wattage.

But to be on the safe side, replace all your tubes if you can, its reccomended to replace the power tubes and preamp tubes at the same time, just so you dont have to do it later.
The reason your tubes burned out could be from the cold, most likely not, but its prolly just old tubes.
Quote by ethan_hanus
I know nothing of the Blackstar HT-5, but usually when you replace power tubes, your supposed to replace both of them at the same time, with a matched pair. If you pull out the bad one and put in a new one, then the other old tube will just burn out, then you have to replace both anyway.

Idk about the Blackstar though, typically tube amps will have a minimum of two power tubes regardless of wattage.

But to be on the safe side, replace all your tubes if you can, its reccomended to replace the power tubes and preamp tubes at the same time, just so you dont have to do it later.
The reason your tubes burned out could be from the cold, most likely not, but its prolly just old tubes.

the HT5 uses a dual triode BH7 as it's only power tube, in a push/pull arrangement with the triodes. One power tube, and one preamp tube.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Sounds like a bad amp day, it happens every now and then, my Marshall occasionally doesn't make sound unless I turn it off and on again a few times.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

yeah maybe I confused people, a lot of late nights

Well it works now... for the time being.

And I have a spare pre amp tube in case that goes.

...tis pre amp right?
12BH7?
Quote by roythereaper
Nice bum >.> <.<
Quote by SimplyBen
Sounds like a bad amp day, it happens every now and then, my Marshall occasionally doesn't make sound unless I turn it off and on again a few times.

something isn't right if that's happenning man, there should be no instances where that's happening, even occasionally. Something is going bad in that amp.

Quote by stratele
yeah maybe I confused people, a lot of late nights

Well it works now... for the time being.

And I have a spare pre amp tube in case that goes.

...tis pre amp right?
12BH7?

no, the 12BH7 is the power tube. Your amp uses a 12AX7 for the preamp tube.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
something isn't right if that's happenning man, there should be no instances where that's happening, even occasionally. Something is going bad in that amp.

It's not happened for a while, it's usually a power supply problem but I am going to get it checked over by an amp tech as soon as I find where my nearest amp tech is...
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey