So anyway, I got a new bass yesterday (Happy Bass Day to me!).

Its a 2008 American Standard Jazz. It sounds great, only one problem though.

I don't exactly like the color, its a 3 tone sunburst with a tortise pickguard.

I bought it from a local store that was having a sale, it was dropped in price from $1400.00 USD, To $1000.00 USD

I didn't really ask if I could order one in, but since it was the last day of the sale, I just kinda bought it.

It sounds great, but the color bugs me to the point of wishing i hadn't bought it, so, heres my question.

Has anyone here ever had one of their bass's professionally spray painted? I hoping I could get it painted white. If you have any comments or suggestions please say.

Thanks.
If you knew it was going to bug you this much you probably shouldn't have bought it...

and sunburst with tortoiseshell is just amazing. the only thing that would be better is if the pickguard was black (assuming the fretboard is maple of course)

I'm sure once you found a place near you that does that kind of thing, it wouldn't be much more work than that
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
Last edited by NakedBassist at Nov 1, 2009,
Quote by NakedBassist
If you knew it was going to bug you this much you probably shouldn't have bought it...

and sunburst with tortoiseshell is just amazing. the only thing that would be better is if the pickguard was black (assuming the fretboard is maple of course)

I'm sure once you found a place near you that does that kind of thing, it wouldn't be much more work than that

Mmmkay, Thanks.

The color thing was kind of something I just set aside. It was the last day of the sale, and I mean cmon, a 400 dollar price drop is something I couldn't not take advantage of. I'll look into some places around here, I just don't think theres any place that would do it.
play the bass for a month, if it still bugs you after that, then get it sprayed.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Quote by shinhoman
play the bass for a month, if it still bugs you after that, then get it sprayed.

x

This is probably what I'll do, Thanks.
you could also sand it down yourself and oil it yourself. if you like natural finishes.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Try and see if you can change the pickguard or something to see if you can make it more eye pleasing to you, or try and live with it for a bit first.
If you still dont like it, sand it down and repaint it yourself, getting it professionally done will most likely cost an arm and a leg (unless you know someone), and could very well eat into that $400 you saved. Doing it yourself only costs as much as some sandpaper, primer, spraypaint, and a clearcoat
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
get a tatoo on your face or something. three color with t-shell pick guard is too die for.
the player makes the bass, not the color. you'll suck on a custom painted bass as well, if don't practice.
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
get a tatoo on your face or something. three color with t-shell pick guard is too die for.
the player makes the bass, not the color. you'll suck on a custom painted bass as well, if don't practice.

Thank you for this post, it was very helpful.

I mean your right. You have obviously heard me play on many occasions. I suck on this bass so I'll suck on one with a new color too, I'll just quit bass all together and start doing drugs, thanks bro!

But anyway, I think I'll just keep it as is. I was maybe stretching the fact that I really really HATE the color, its just kinda meh, I wanted a black and white type deal with this bass, but for a thousand bucks this is pretty good. Maybe I'll throw a black pickguard on for fun.
Its BEAUTIFUL.
Dont refinish it or you'll regret it.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
For me, I would do as suggested. Play it for a month, and if its still not appealing to you, look into getting a respray.
Member Of The Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians only.

I Play the Bagpipes.

they actually are a pleasant instrument.
dude youre going to end up spending the $400 you saved to respray the thing. And why would anyone want to go from sunburst to white? Your decision making/logic is questionable, my friend.
I think its pretty ugly myself, but consider the following.

- If you refinish it yourself it will probably look like ass. And its MIA so thats damn near criminal.
- If you pay someone its going to cost a ton.

Slap a white pickguard on there, if you still hate it, maybe look for a trade?