Page 1 of 2
I have this very wierd, uprising feeling in my chest every time i think about this.
I'm 17 years old and I've been playing guitar for about a year and a half and I'm fairly good. I've been in 2 bands, both of which failed horribly even though I tried hard in both of them, mostly because of musical difference or the seriousness of the other guys.

The thing is, I want to be a musician (I mean I have it in my head so that it's my main mission in life) and i feel like life is going past waaay too quickly and that I will never find a band quick enough to get good and tight enough to play gigs and record an album of some sort.

Am I being irrational? Have you ever experienced such a feeling?
❝Don't be afraid of death, but of an inadequate life❞
Bertolt Bretcht

I feel like that sometimes, but not so much cos i'm only 15... are you going to university? That's the best time to join a band.
You're still a teenager, teenage bands are about as likely to last forever as teenage relationships. I didn't find my first stable band till I was 20.
Some people don't make it into a successful band until up into their 30's or later. Some people don't make it at all. Its all a matter of chance really. Its not something you can make happen. Its not easy to get a number of guys together that are ALL good musicians, and are ALL going to put forth effort and ALL have open minds. Finding that certain group of guys is the trick.

Most successful musicians out there today were in many different small bands before they ever found one that was going to go somewhere.
^ Yeah. The moral of the story is keep trying
And yes i am going to Uni, so i guess that'll be pretty cool.
Bertolt Bretcht

dont worry too much
but you might want to get a trade just incase
Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Quote by Truespin
you can't use a guitar to replace your lack of charm or social skills.

Worked for Malmsteen.
Quote by Josher.K
dont worry too much
but you might want to get a trade just incase

Studying Sustainable Energy Technology in Uni, so I'm well prepared
Bertolt Bretcht

I am in the exact same situtation as you, Im 16, been playing for 3 years, and constantly think about this. I think its a pretty universal thing to think we are working against time. Ive always felt like it was something that will bring me to my goals, because I am aware of time, not ignorant of it. I say its not irrational, but dont just write things off on the account of "you ran out of time" or something like that. Im sure most people are in the same situation as you.
Quote by KirkMetallica
Do you ever feel like time is running out?
Quote by KirkMetallica
I'm 17 years old

Yeah, at 17 you're waaaaaaay past your prime. If you don't have a recording contact and a tour schedule by now, you're washed up, kid.

srsly... don't be ridiculous. time running out? just no.

Quote by KirkMetallica
Am I being irrational?
I'd say you were being irrational, but the word doesn't begin to describe it.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Yeah i get that feeling a lot, like once I've finished college at this stage I'll be 22 or 23. That's way too late, y'know? I'm just hoping that I can get my act together between now and then.

By the way, my band is playing in Captain Americas in Cork sometime soon, if you're around and up for some funk-dance-rock

There seems to be a pretty cool music scene there in Cork - you'll be fine!
Quote by Declan87
Yeah i get that feeling a lot, like once I've finished college at this stage I'll be 22 or 23. That's way too late, y'know?

Sarcasm?
Quote by KirkMetallica
Studying Sustainable Energy Technology in Uni, so I'm well prepared

Is that a degree? I have never heard of it :P

Time isn't running out for you yet, as others have said University is a great place to meet other musicians, and a lot of bands have formed from meeting others in university.

But that said, if you want to "make it" as such, the general time limit is when you turn 25 years old. After that age there are very little bands "making it", just check the charts if you disagree.

However if you pass 25, you should still be able to get a local following and have fun doing it.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
yes. time is running out on you. you are doomed, doomed i say! doomed to a life of broken dreams. there is no hope left for you. it might be a good idea to learn how to use a mop and a broom so that you can one day soon find a job as a highschool janitor. that way you can warn other kids before it's too late for them too... wait, did i say highschool? no, that's already much too late. find a junior highschool... yeah, that should work.
Quote by Declan87
Yeah i get that feeling a lot, like once I've finished college at this stage I'll be 22 or 23. That's way too late, y'know? I'm just hoping that I can get my act together between now and then.

By the way, my band is playing in Captain Americas in Cork sometime soon, if you're around and up for some funk-dance-rock

There seems to be a pretty cool music scene there in Cork - you'll be fine!

Haha awesome

Yeah the scene is pretty cool down here. i know a few ppl from small promotion websites n stuff. I should really start going to gigs more often. Why are my friends so boring when it comes to going places other than house parties?
Bertolt Bretcht

All the time. I'm 16 and I've been playing for almost 3 years and tbh I'm horrible. I have a friend who I jam with who's my age and has already had like 10 gigs when I've had 0 and is way better than me. And music is all I have I mean if I don't make it I'm gonna be working in a factory for the rest of my life. And as much as I try not to think about it there's always this voice in my head going "You can't make it. It's already too late, you'll never sell albums, you'll never play a gig. Just stop." I guess what I'm trying to say is, you're not alone.
Quote by i_killed_bill
All the time. I'm 16 and I've been playing for almost 3 years and tbh I'm horrible. I have a friend who I jam with who's my age and has already had like 10 gigs when I've had 0 and is way better than me. And music is all I have I mean if I don't make it I'm gonna be working in a factory for the rest of my life. And as much as I try not to think about it there's always this voice in my head going "You can't make it. It's already too late, you'll never sell albums, you'll never play a gig. Just stop." I guess what I'm trying to say is, you're not alone.

If you're an American, your government practically throws student loan money at you.
And even if that weren't the case, you would not end up working in a factory, as the USA can kiss manufacturing goodbye completely in about 10 years. Ain't globalization a helluva thing?
Honestly, if being a rock star is your escape route, you're pretty well screwed. It's really too bad that people in the land of opportunity take things so much for granted.
Quote by koslack
If you're an American, your government practically throws student loan money at you.
And even if that weren't the case, you would not end up working in a factory, as the USA can kiss manufacturing goodbye completely in about 10 years. Ain't globalization a helluva thing?
Honestly, if being a rock star is your escape route, you're pretty well screwed. It's really too bad that people in the land of opportunity take things so much for granted.

Don't get me wrong, I have back up plans. I wanna be a lawyer. But if I spend all the time up until I'm 25 trying to get a gig. Then I won't get out of law school till I'm in my 30's. I'm not trying to take things for granted I realize what a great country I live in. But playing music is my dream and the only thing I really wanna do in life and if at 16 I can only play tabs rated intermediate then I feel like I can never reach my goal.
Quote by i_killed_bill
If you're thinking you should just stop because you will never sell albums, never play a gig maybe you're doing it for all the wrong reasons. Especially at the age of 16.

To all you kids, take a lesson from Van Gogh. He began his first paintings at the age of 28. Over the next nine years he painted almost 900 paintings and sold 1 just a few months before he died at 37.

Despite making no money from his painting he did little else and had no time for any other income.

I'm not advising you do this but you can learn from his passion. It doesn't matter that he didn't have any money or recognition when he was alive he made awesome paintings that he loved and spent his life chasing his passion. And despite not reaching the pinnacle of success he wanted to reach in his lifetime in the end he could never have dreamed he would be as successful and culturally significant as he has become.
Si
Quote by 20Tigers
If you're thinking you should just stop because you will never sell albums, never play a gig maybe you're doing it for all the wrong reasons. Especially at the age of 16.

To all you kids, take a lesson from Van Gogh. He began his first paintings at the age of 28. Over the next nine years he painted almost 900 paintings and sold 1 just a few months before he died at 37.

Despite making no money from his painting he did little else and had no time for any other income.

I'm not advising you do this but you can learn from his passion. It doesn't matter that he didn't have any money or recognition when he was alive he made awesome paintings that he loved and spent his life chasing his passion. And despite not reaching the pinnacle of success he wanted to reach in his lifetime in the end he could never have dreamed he would be as successful and culturally significant as he has become.

He also lopped off his ear in a schizophrenic rage before dying young...
Time spent wishing is time wasted.
So get your finger out and do something about it

Those my guitar teachers words to me. I live my life by them
Guitars
Ibanez S470B
Iabez MTM2 w/ Seymoar Duncan Blackouts
Epiphone SG

Amps
Roland Micro Cube

Pedals
Boss MT-2
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Van Gough committed suicide in a wheat field when he was 37. He was plagued throughout his life with mental disorder/s, the causes of which are still uncertain.

His brother Theo supported him for the most part, and tried to get him treatment. It is quite possible he was able to "chase his passion", because he was incapable of doing much else in life.

Okay, Art History lesson over. I'm just saying, some people romanticize his life, and really shouldn't. I can think of many other examples of artistic lives better lived.
Quote by chokmool
I can think of many other examples of artistic lives better lived.

Milli Vanilli
Soundcloud
Quote by Crizzle
Time spent wishing is time wasted.
So get your finger out and do something about it

Those my guitar teachers words to me. I live my life by them

get your finger out of WHAT? you had a strange guitar teacher.
Quote by GrisKy
get your finger out of WHAT?

I always assumed it actually was what you think it was in the phrase. When I was younger once I put my finger there because it was itchy and worms came out. True story.
Soundcloud
Quote by i_killed_bill
Don't get me wrong, I have back up plans. I wanna be a lawyer. But if I spend all the time up until I'm 25 trying to get a gig. Then I won't get out of law school till I'm in my 30's. I'm not trying to take things for granted I realize what a great country I live in. But playing music is my dream and the only thing I really wanna do in life and if at 16 I can only play tabs rated intermediate then I feel like I can never reach my goal.

Seems like someone wants to play gigs and get big (thats understandable) but. Blink 182 isnt that hard complex music, and see where they got with their band. Ofcourse skill will help becoming good, but it´s not always mandatory.
Quote by Holy Katana
Your last job only paid you $7.00 AUD an hour? That's like $6.05 in the US. What the hell is the minimum wage over there?

Quote by titsmcgee852
$0 for volunteer work

ollollolollol

^
Quote by AlanHB
I always assumed it actually was what you think it was in the phrase. When I was younger once I put my finger there because it was itchy and worms came out. True story.

aaand you've just killed my desire to visit the land down under... no pun intended
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
there really is not a rush. at all.

NO RUSH!? DID THEY KILL GEDDY LEE?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOx12301289398342q40853333333333asdfawer4523433333335234524302398439017891453
Quote by Highwaytohell
NO RUSH!? DID THEY KILL GEDDY LEE?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOx12301289398342q40853333333333asdfawer4523433333335234524302398439017891453

Well, they are on a break at the moment.
Quote by KirkMetallica
I have this very wierd, uprising feeling in my chest every time i think about this.
I'm 17 years old and I've been playing guitar for about a year and a half and I'm fairly good. I've been in 2 bands, both of which failed horribly even though I tried hard in both of them, mostly because of musical difference or the seriousness of the other guys.

The thing is, I want to be a musician (I mean I have it in my head so that it's my main mission in life) and i feel like life is going past waaay too quickly and that I will never find a band quick enough to get good and tight enough to play gigs and record an album of some sort.

Am I being irrational? Have you ever experienced such a feeling?

I'm 42. Think how I feel about it.

Seriously though, see every band that failed as an opportunity to learn something, for instance, you've learned that if you join or form a band with members who don't take it seriously enough, it's probably going to fail.
It took me a long time before I found a line up that worked just right together musicaly, and even then, personal differences are still an issue occasionaly. Eventualy, you just have to accept that people are different from each other and we all have our weird little ways that may get on other people's nerves, but if we were all the same, it'd be really boring, if you can be more forgiving of each other then that's half of your problems solved.

As for musical differences, well that's just a case of having the right attitude. If you want to do something original, it helps to have several different musical tastes within the band, but of course, this is going to lead to certain songs or sections of songs that not everyone is going to like, but the way to think about it is like this, you will also have songs that each individual will like, they'll be different songs for different people's tastes, so everyone in the band should be aware that the price they pay for the privilege of playing your favourite songs in the set is playing someone else's favourite songs in the set.
Find some guys who are willing to embrace this attitude and musical differences will no longer be such an issue and things will run a lot more smoothly.
I didn't start until I was 17, with my bro's guitar. Owned my first guitar at 18, first band practice at 20, and now I'm 21 and working on forming my first band. You make ME feel old!

Keep with what you're doing, and don't worry. A lot of my favorite guitarists didn't get their big break until they were in their late 20's. But develop the skills that will help you get by if being a musician doesn't work out for you.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
I'm 42. Think how I feel about it.

Seriously though, see every band that failed as an opportunity to learn something, for instance, you've learned that if you join or form a band with members who don't take it seriously enough, it's probably going to fail.
It took me a long time before I found a line up that worked just right together musicaly, and even then, personal differences are still an issue occasionaly. Eventualy, you just have to accept that people are different from each other and we all have our weird little ways that may get on other people's nerves, but if we were all the same, it'd be really boring, if you can be more forgiving of each other then that's half of your problems solved.

As for musical differences, well that's just a case of having the right attitude. If you want to do something original, it helps to have several different musical tastes within the band, but of course, this is going to lead to certain songs or sections of songs that not everyone is going to like, but the way to think about it is like this, you will also have songs that each individual will like, they'll be different songs for different people's tastes, so everyone in the band should be aware that the price they pay for the privilege of playing your favourite songs in the set is playing someone else's favourite songs in the set.
Find some guys who are willing to embrace this attitude and musical differences will no longer be such an issue and things will run a lot more smoothly.

Wise man once say: "My name is SlackerBabbath."

I have what alot of people don't have where I go to school: Sheer ****ing determination, I will definatley have to broaden my search for some people that are dedicated.
Bertolt Bretcht

I have nothing to say on the issue other than "Go Slacker"

Oh, and:
Quote by AlanHB

Nice moddage.
My name is Danny. Call me that.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Yeah, at 17 you're waaaaaaay past your prime. If you don't have a recording contact and a tour schedule by now, you're washed up, kid.

srsly... don't be ridiculous. time running out? just no.

I'd say you were being irrational, but the word doesn't begin to describe it.

thankyou for that useful comment ...
as long as you've got a backup plan if it doesn work but your only 17 you should have enough time if you have the ability
but practice alot
coz after only playing guitar a year and a half you will be competing with some really talented guys
also do some research into the industry
i hear it alot of bands who actually work well signing up to things without permission or to things that won't help or just not knowing how to go about giving yourself the best opportunity you don't wanna be one of them
good luck to you
Gear
Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
Epiphone SG G400 White
Line 6 Flextone III+
Line 6 Spider III 120 (for sale £90)
Well think if most of you are in your teens you'll be kicking ass by the time you get to your 20s. I just started learning how to sing 3 years ago and I was 23. I'm going to be 27 in April and I'm in the process of recording my first album.

I takes time and persistence (i suck at spelling those -ance -ence words). As someone said before, there's lots of people who make it in their 30s even in their 40s.

But first, what's your idea of making it? Do you want 1,000 fans that will come to show consistently and buy your music? Or do you want to be a multi millionaire showing your place on the next episode of cribs.

Both are making it depending on what perspective you're coming from.
Quote by i_killed_bill

lawyer is your backup:/ i'm really sorry to say this; not trying to be rude but
one or the other needs your full attention
getting into law school alone needs better grades and experience than getting into medical school also you need a passion for it to stay with it
Gear
Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
Epiphone SG G400 White
Line 6 Flextone III+
Line 6 Spider III 120 (for sale £90)
Page 1 of 2