5 45%
Pearly Gates
1 9%
Full Shread
0 0%
Another JB/Other
0 0%
Voters: 11.
Okay so Im gonna get a new set of pickups, and the JB is gonna go in the bridge. The problem is, they dont sell sets, so the guy at GC said hell sell me a neck pickup and count it as a set. I play everything, so vertabiblity is the mainthing here, and the neck pickups they have are:
Alnico Pro II
Custom 5
Custom Custom
Duncan Custom
Distortion
Screaming Demon
Invader
Jazz
Pearly Gates
Full Shread
Another JB
He also said hed order another good pickup online for another five dollars

As you can see they have alot so Im sorta overwhemled, so I need your help picking a good pickup.
Last edited by bmorse at Nov 1, 2009,
versatility? Then Jazz is your best bet IMO.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Uhm, I don't think most of the pickups in the center of your list even come in a neck version. But, since you list no guitar, amp, and style of music to be played, I'll just say the '59, I got one in my Explorer and I can get quite a varied amount of quality tones with it.
1992 Gibson Explorer (Seymour Duncan '59 neck, Custom Custom bridge)
Jackson King V Professional Std. (Seymour Duncan Invaders)
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55
Mesa/Boogie 412 Recto. O/S Cabinet
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
Quote by HavokStrife
Uhm, I don't think most of the pickups in the center of your list even come in a neck version. But, since you list no guitar, amp, and style of music to be played, I'll just say the '59, I got one in my Explorer and I can get quite a varied amount of quality tones with it.

Amp: Marshall Zakk Wylde Valvestate (Before they made them solid state, yes they were vavlestates)

Guitar: The pickups will go into a Epiphone Les Paul Custom Chrome

Style of Music: Everything. Chlidren Of Bodom to Les Paul

They all come in the neck version
Why limit yourself to Duncans?
And describe exactly what you want your new neck pickup to sound like; what tonal problems it should solve, as it were. The more specific you are the better a recommendation we can give. You've already stipulated that it has to be versatile, which is a good start.
Quote by Rock Pig
Why limit yourself to Duncans?
And describe exactly what you want your new neck pickup to sound like; what tonal problems it should solve, as it were. The more specific you are the better a recommendation we can give. You've already stipulated that it has to be versatile, which is a good start.

Ive tried most every other pickup on the market, and to me duncans just sound the best to me (at least in the bridge) i will mainly be using the neck pickup for heavy rythms and clean leads. the tech i go to advised against mixing brands (ie emg 81 bridge SD blackout neck) but i dont reakky see how it would affect the tone. If you have anyother recemendations please mention them, as they may be a better match
Quote by bmorse
Ive tried most every other pickup on the market, and to me duncans just sound the best to me (at least in the bridge) i will mainly be using the neck pickup for heavy rythms and clean leads. the tech i go to advised against mixing brands (ie emg 81 bridge SD blackout neck) but i dont reakky see how it would affect the tone. If you have anyother recemendations please mention them, as they may be a better match

Mixing brands is fine - the problem with the example you gave is that it's a mixture of active and passive, which is a lot of bother for no overwhelming benefit.

Firstly, heavy rhythms are rarely played on the neck pickup; chords tend to mush together and the tone at the neck position isn't as tight in general. If you're sure though, I'd use something with good clarity like the DiMarzio PAF Pro. The cleans on it aren't bad, although the Duncan Pearly Gates is probably better for your cleans if at the expense of some clarity.

My suggestions are:
DiMarzio PAF Pro: Great clarity, versatile. Cleans are slightly too "modern" but it's sort of a non-issue. Used by every shredder out there at some point but goes way beyond that.
Duncan Pearly Gates: More vintage tonality than the DiMarzios, a touch warmer too. Slightly less clarity though.
DiMarzio PAF Joe: A personal favourite of mine - almost as much clarity as the Pro but warmer tone in general - sort of midway between the two in a way. If you're going to be playing heavier rhythms on your neck pickup I'd go with the Pro though; slightly more clarity and tightness.
Quote by bmorse

Well he probably doesn't want you to do that because mixing passives and actives would require a more complicated wiring job. Also actives have higher output so i assume that there would be a noticable change in volume when switching pickups.

The Jazz or '59 would be great.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Jazz or Pearly Gates, the pearly gates is my personal favorite but the jazz is more versatile.
Quote by Rhoads_1096
Jazz or Pearly Gates, the pearly gates is my personal favorite but the jazz is more versatile.

Personally I disagree - I think the Pearly Gates handles quite a bit better under higher gain while still offering a respectable clean tone.
Quote by TOMMYB22
Well he probably doesn't want you to do that because mixing passives and actives would require a more complicated wiring job. Also actives have higher output so i assume that there would be a noticable change in volume when switching pickups.

The Jazz or '59 would be great.

I will be going passive, and both mentioned pickups are active. They were the first two pickups that came to mind when i wrote it
Quote by Rock Pig
Mixing brands is fine - the problem with the example you gave is that it's a mixture of active and passive, which is a lot of bother for no overwhelming benefit.

Yeah too bad it isn't. They're both active..........................
anyways, just get a 59 or jazz. He has to get a 'set.' Brand matters.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
Yeah too bad it isn't. They're both active..........................

I didn't notice that. Thanks for the clarification, if not the attitude.
anyways, just get a 59 or jazz. He has to get a 'set.' Brand matters.

Why does brand matter? Justify. The shop will sell him two pickups for a better price than one. What should brand have to do with it?
Chances are that the guy at GC wants to sell it as a SD "set" in their price listing, which for ease of inventory and dealing with their system in general makes it less likely that the employee will be as generous if he wants to mix brands.
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
Reasonable enough - still worth asking about the DiMarzios at any rate if they're what you want.
Otherwise I'd go with the Pearly Gates.