Well, I'm getting my first electric (MIM Fender Fat Strat) in a few days, however, I'm clueless as to what amp I'd be best suited with.

My budget is pretty limiting ($200) and I'd like to have a wide variety of tones/options to pick from. I'm not particularly concerned with having the 'perfect' sound (though I don't want a tone similar to what you'd get out of a subpar starter pack amp either). It will only be a bedroom practice amp, so I'm not concerned with wattage/volume/size.

My desires have pretty much pointed me into the realm of modelling amps (variety of sounds, not tone obsessed, and mostly inexpensive), but if there is some obvious choice that I'm overlooking, feel free to suggest it. However, even within the humongous selection of modelling amps, I'm far from sure what I should filter out and what I should consider.

I'll mostly be playing alt/grunge, SOME (very little) punk/pop punk, and occasionally classic/garage rock. I have no desire to play metal or the likes.

I do apologize for the cliche thread, don't kill me

To paraphrase:

Guitar: Fat Strat
Budget: $200-
Style: Alternative mostly.

What's a decent bedroom amp for me?

Thanks for the advice!
Vox AC4
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Excessive punctuation!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
yea its way too much for my little stick lol
Quote by mashizz
peavy vypr

I actually was looking into a vypyr 30, but read somewhere that it's metal oriented? It's definitely an option though.
Quote by mashizz
peavy vypr

This.
It will suite you for your needs.
You'll probably want a better tube amp later on though.
New Setup:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Black SG w/ 3 Hum.)
Peavey Classic 50
EHX Metal Muff
Cry Baby 535Q

"I'm the one that's got to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to"
Jimi Hendrix
vypyr i got one its great, great tone and distortion. need to know anything about them pm me.
ive heard that vox valvtronix are good as well
The vypyr is quite versatile actually. Using the Plexi "green" channel with the built in Tubescreamer gives a very nice crunch that is perfect for classic or alt-rock. Plus the clean tones are nice and sparkly.

BTW, the amp is great on it's own, but it just BEGS to be used with the Sanpera II footswitch.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
Quote by wildwildwes594
This.
It will suite you for your needs.
You'll probably want a better tube amp later on though.

Oh definitely. It's just for "beginner" practicing's sake.

How does the vypyr respond to pedals? I've heard solid states aren't exactly best friends with pedals, but it's not a make or break for me, I'm just curious. I won't be getting many for awhile anyway.

Would a 15 watt Vypyr suffice for bedroom practice? I mean, it should, but are there any discernible differences?

As for the above poster who said AC4, I've heard good things about it, but I've also heard that it is not really versatile, and to be honest, I'm a settings abuser in the makings.
Last edited by FarFromUnique at Nov 1, 2009,
If you don't find the Vypyr good enough (which is odd coz its the best amp in your budget), you can look at the Roland Cube 30x. It's also a really great amp.
Vox AC4
My Gear

Fender MIM Telecaster
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
Ibanez PF Acoustic Electric

Vox AC4TV8
Crate FXT 65

Various pedals
Vibro Champ XD. Very good modeling tone and tube power section. I find the Vypyr mid gain tones a bit grainy. The FX section of the VCXD is not as flexible as the VYpyr. It has the basic reverb/delay/chorus/tremolo and they sound good. But the parameter setting is limited.
Last edited by fly135 at Nov 1, 2009,
Vyper is ok...... Sounds iffy but is versitile
Vibrochamp would be my choice,Great amp
Vox AC4 isn't that versitile but sounds great

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
15 watt vypyr would be great for a bedroom and even that is pretty loud, i usually keep mine at 2 or 3 in my bedroom. it does have a good clean tone too with reverb on. you might have to play around with it to find your tone.
im not a tone king kinda guy, but when i looked and ask on here about these amps they kept changin my mind with their opinions!

so i say go try out and try the top amp choices( vypyr, cube) and play your guitar through it at ur local music store its worth it. GET WHAT YOU LIKE!
best of luck
dam, I also are in the same exact situation as OP, thanx for the thread and replies, will be looking at the vypyr and vox next time
Quote by Darkflame
i like the vox vt better, but the vypyr is a great amp

This threads 2 months old. That Kid Lucas n00b necro bumped it.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
This threads 2 months old. That Kid Lucas n00b necro bumped it.

Yay for witty comments why der molter! Can't get enough.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.