Hey UG,

So if your playing a song and you cant remember what key it's in and say you want to do an improvisation section, if you know the chord progression the rhythm section is playing, how do you find out what key it is in?

Thanks
My Gig Rig...

Fender Straocaster or Gibson Les Paul Slash Special -->Lovepedal Amp 50 --> Boss DD-3 --> Crybaby(soon to be Wh10 reissue) --> Big Muff PI --> Boss DS-2 --> Marshall JCM 900
You can write out the notes of the chords and try to find the scale that they fit into, or you could just try to find the chord that the progression resolves on, and assume that to be the key, then check by noodling around in the key and seeing if it sounds good.
ok cool, its just i started playing a chord progression randomly the other day and my school teacher just said thats in the key of ... and solo'd over it, i just want to be able to find the key just like that.
My Gig Rig...

Fender Straocaster or Gibson Les Paul Slash Special -->Lovepedal Amp 50 --> Boss DD-3 --> Crybaby(soon to be Wh10 reissue) --> Big Muff PI --> Boss DS-2 --> Marshall JCM 900