hey

ive bin trying for a while but i dont know how i should start sweep picking
does any one know were i should start with sweep picking??
Quote by stephen_rettie
like anything, take a sweep pattern and play it. i recommend the 5string major and minor patterns.

What does this look like, could you tab it please
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR

I play a Schecter

Quote by Iriathz
I love you.
Have all my life's future earnings.

Quote by Lt. Shinysides
Just how loose is your urethra?

Quote by shavorules42
I have a 6 inch gauge in it, so I can cockdock so I'd say loose enough.
Not really.
A major:

-----------------------9---------
----------------10--------------
-----------9---------------------
------11------------------------
-12-----------------------------
---------------------------------

A minor:

------------------------8----------
-----------------10---------------
-------------9---------------------
-------10-------------------------
--12------------------------------
---------------------------------
Thanks dude, im going to try and not fail haha
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR

I play a Schecter

Quote by Iriathz
I love you.
Have all my life's future earnings.

Quote by Lt. Shinysides
Just how loose is your urethra?

Quote by shavorules42
I have a 6 inch gauge in it, so I can cockdock so I'd say loose enough.
Not really.
I took a basic 3 string sweep and did that until I could do it upside down and backwards. Then added a 4th string, and took it slowly, again until I mastered it. Then 5, then 6.
It's good for learning the technique and it's fine if you only want to play shapes, but I think that ideally, if you want to truly master the guitar, you should be able to sweep across all the strings without having to pull up a shape, just play the notes you want.

Try incorporating sweeps into slow blues jams. Very slowly. And just think about what notes you want to play. Then try adding them to other forms of improvisation, faster.

Sweeping sounds really impressive, but it's even more impressive if you know enough about the notes you want that you can truly improvise with it. What sounds better: The same generic minor sweep that everyone tosses in, or one that matches with the melody of the song?

Listen to Jason Becker, he's a beast at this sort of thing. Especially this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jK978921Yw That's clearly a recognized classical piece (paganini's 5th caprice), but Jason clearly knows enough about sweeping that for him, it's just another way to hit the note he wants, not just playing "guitar tetris."

EDIT: In retrospect, this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15Ux1IFKiEI is a much better example.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Last edited by woodenbandman at Nov 2, 2009,