Hey guys, I've been playing for 3 months and I'm really getting into it. I'm wondering when would be a good time to upgrade from my Squier Strat. My dad tells me I shouldn't buy a really good guitar yet cause I was telling him how I wanted to get a Gibson Les Paul. I don't know if I should get it now or wait to get better first. I'm also pretty self-conscious and I don't know if I'm worthy of owning a really good guitar. He told me I should maybe look into an Epiphone cause he says it's a step up from Squier, but isn't that pretty much equivalent?
Well what model is your squier? Some Epiphones are really nice but then again, some squiers are too.
If I remember correctly, it's the Squier Stratocaster Affinity that came in a box with a fender frontman amp.
well 3 months... i'd wait atleast a few more months... just because your still learning and who knows what could happen.. all of a sudden you could not like playing... i'd say wait around 3-4 more months. Well what genre's you playing??? .. but if you get a higher end epiphone would be good... the cheaper ones really aren't
Quote by nickl11
Hey guys, I've been playing for 3 months and I'm really getting into it. I'm wondering when would be a good time to upgrade from my Squier Strat. My dad tells me I shouldn't buy a really good guitar yet cause I was telling him how I wanted to get a Gibson Les Paul. I don't know if I should get it now or wait to get better first. I'm also pretty self-conscious and I don't know if I'm worthy of owning a really good guitar. He told me I should maybe look into an Epiphone cause he says it's a step up from Squier, but isn't that pretty much equivalent?

My biggest mistake when I started really investing money into my guitars was the fact I didn't know which guitars were best for me, you seem to want to go from a Strat design to an Les Paul Epiphone/Gibson kind of feel, rather than think about which guitars is "good" try thinking about which guitar is the best for you, there are pretty marginal differences between Les Pauls and Strat designs.

For example - currently I'm playing a Les Paul, and I know that it really doesn't work for me/my hands/my playing style/the type of Music I play, thus I'm saving for a really classy Fender Strat.

BEST OF LUCK anyway, I strongly suggest you check out a guitar store, and don't hesitate to try out different guitars with different neck sizes, weights, tonal capabilities etc etc.

Don't think of your sister naked.

[You just did]
I'm not gonna lie, I really like the Squire Classic Vibe Telecasters. They sound real nice, and they're really affordable
Quote by MetalGuitarest
well 3 months... i'd wait atleast a few more months... just because your still learning and who knows what could happen.. all of a sudden you could not like playing... i'd say wait around 3-4 more months. Well what genre's you playing??? .. but if you get a higher end epiphone would be good... the cheaper ones really aren't

this, pretty much

also, keep in mind that when you're playing through a less than amazing amp, your tone isn't going to be affected a whole lot from a new guitar. there'll be a change, probably a noticeable one, but the main difference at this point will be the feel of the guitar.

One of my guitars is a cheap squier that I modded, and I really like the feel of it. so if you like the playability of yours, I'd say keep it for now.
I've been playing for 3 months seriously, but I had been playing on and off for a couple of years prior. My dad is a big music guy and always tried to make me get into it but I didn't until 3 months ago. The genres I like to play range from classic rock to modern rock, also some indie stuff is fun. Mostly rock sounds though. My dad also got me a Marshal amp last Christmas, but I didn't use it very much since I was not really focused on playing, but now it sure is fun to have it .
Here's my advice. Keep playing your Squier until you can play whatever you want comfortably on it. That's when you know your playing ability has succeeded your guitar; when your guitar can no longer teach you anything.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Quote by nickl11
I've been playing for 3 months seriously, but I had been playing on and off for a couple of years prior. My dad is a big music guy and always tried to make me get into it but I didn't until 3 months ago. The genres I like to play range from classic rock to modern rock, also some indie stuff is fun. Mostly rock sounds though. My dad also got me a Marshal amp last Christmas, but I didn't use it very much since I was not really focused on playing, but now it sure is fun to have it .

Does your dad play? If he does maybe he has some better gear for you to use?
Current Gear:
Mexican Fender Telecaster
Robert Smith custom Jazzmaster
Stratocaster
Vox AC4TV
Quote by unicornfist
Does your dad play? If he does maybe he has some better gear for you to use?

He sold most of his stuff a long time ago, but he does have a Squier Tele that I play with sometimes when I'm looking for a different sound. Fun city :P
I'd say keep it, we all like to go back to the old roots and use our old gear
But I think an epi would be good, but not after 3 months, wait a little while until you know your going to stick with it before you invest a few hundred into a guitar.

Maybe you could use some fat humbucking tone for heavier rock, look into the mid level epiphones, or go to jay turser, same thing as epiphone, but lifetime warranty an cheaper price.

Hell rondomusic has some nice deals.

Best advice I can give; go to a big guitar shop and play everything that you can afford.
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
i'd say get your squire setup, as most of the stock jobs on them aren't very good i've found.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
take your time-- its not the guitar-- its you-- get better and research guitars and playing styles--
it is too soon to make a major purchase---
Its takes a while to get into playing the guitar and the some more time to work out what you need from a guitar. I would give it a few more months and then go to the guitar shop and try out a few guitars in your price range.
I've never tried an Affinity strat so I can't comment there but what I can say is I've used a Squier Strat for the last 7 or 8 years and only now do I consider upgrading. I find it's alot better to stick with a bit of learning difficulty based on your instrument. Right now my sweeps are rather messy but, I try the same sweeps on a friends rg1570 and they're as clear as anything. Basically, it's like the same as starting out practicing on an acoustic, it's more difficult but in the end you have perfected your techniques to a much better extent than those who are practicing with the best gear possible.
Or so I find
Quote by Nemm
I've never tried an Affinity strat so I can't comment there but what I can say is I've used a Squier Strat for the last 7 or 8 years and only now do I consider upgrading. I find it's alot better to stick with a bit of learning difficulty based on your instrument. Right now my sweeps are rather messy but, I try the same sweeps on a friends rg1570 and they're as clear as anything. Basically, it's like the same as starting out practicing on an acoustic, it's more difficult but in the end you have perfected your techniques to a much better extent than those who are practicing with the best gear possible.
Or so I find

+1