So I am just about ready to start recording a song for an unnamed project with my band. I was wondering if anyone knew of a particular order taht is easiest to follow when recording. ex. Drums, then Guitar, Then bass etc. I'm not quite sure what the best apporach is. Thanks!
is the song already written? in that case, do a "orientation track" with vocals and guitar, doesn't matter if they're not recorded perfectly, but that way it's easiest to know where you are while playing.

Then drums, bass, the guitars, vocals and dubs.

This way you can EQ to make sure you're not messing with the other instrument's frequencies. the drums should come first since they have the broadest range of frequencies, then the bass so that you can tell right away if the guitars have to much low end, then the vocals so that they can be in front of the instruments, and then the dubs so they don't overpower the vocals.
I either do drums or a solid Bassline first - that way it keeps time for me.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
well, every time I've been in a studio we've done it in this order
1. Guide track(Just a rough version of the song, played by the guitarist)
2. Drums
3. Guitar
4. Bass
6. Vocals

Then you remove the guide track.
My Band =]
We play some goffic pish
Its fun

Leave us a comment, we'll get back to you =]
i also use the guide track method, but i would say that it is a good idea to be playing with a click when doing so. such a good idea actually, that i would say it is almost essential in most cases where the song has a straight forward tempo. i myself like to used a programmed MIDI version of the song as a click for my guide track, and then do drums, etc. with the guide. having it based on something that is perfectly in time will keep things sounding a lot tighter.
I'd say do it like this.

Rough copy with everyone -> Drums -> Rhythm Guitar -> Lead Guitar -> Bass -> Vocals -> Guitar Solo.

Of course, it depends on how your song is. Like, say it was a very bass oriented song, then do that before guitar.
Last edited by Alex Vik at Nov 2, 2009,
well i college im recording my band

and we have decided to record the rythm guitar and drums together .this will be the guid track that we will all play to
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL