Hiyas, I just wanna know how useful you guys think 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 and stuff like that is for developing your technique.

I know steve vai used to do chromatic exercises three hours a day so surely they're worth something right?
Straight chromatic exercises aren't very good for you... Just going 1-2-3-4 and 4-3-2-1 up the strings, because its an unnatural movement.

1423 1324 4231 1342 etc. are all good ones.
Quote by santa_man99
THANK you. I love you forever.

Quote by DrFuzz
Why are you researching for Christmas? It's only Ma- HOLY CRAP WHERE'S 2009 GONE!?!?!?

Quote by ilikepirates
You're right, that is weird. You win.
So long as you're not just doing straight-up 1234 it will do your left hand a world of good. It'll also help you co-ordinate with your right hand. It's dull but it works.
they're all good, especially because you can "sorta" practice them while watching tv to get the whole muscle memory thing going.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Practising with distractions is pointless, you're just going through the motions. When you actually focus on what you're practising is when you make progress. You can practise 1,2,3,4 all you like, the end result will be that you can play 1,2,3,4 faster than before. Congratulations. You can't make a song, riff, or solo using solely 1,2,3,4. And to clarify, Steve Vai did not spend 3 hours on chromatic exercises. He spent 3 hours doing "finger exercises" and merely used chromatics as an example.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Quote by Alter-Bridge
Practising with distractions is pointless, you're just going through the motions. When you actually focus on what you're practising is when you make progress. You can practise 1,2,3,4 all you like, the end result will be that you can play 1,2,3,4 faster than before. Congratulations. You can't make a song, riff, or solo using solely 1,2,3,4. And to clarify, Steve Vai did not spend 3 hours on chromatic exercises. He spent 3 hours doing "finger exercises" and merely used chromatics as an example.

i wasn't suggesting the tv thing as a substitute for actual dedicated playing time...i was suggesting it as a supplement. i thought that went without saying. and nobody asked about making a song, riff, or solo. this is about getting over technical humps that prevent the player from playing what he/she wants to play.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by Alter-Bridge
Practising with distractions is pointless, you're just going through the motions. When you actually focus on what you're practising is when you make progress.

^This.

The suggestions that everyone else has been making, say to switch the fingering up a bit, is definitely something you should do. And if you don't do it already, try going a bit more out of your way. Say, 135, or 125/145. You know, the little mini-patterns that make you reach a bit more. They're definitely good to know, that and they're involved in scale patterns anyways. A nice one that I do sometimes is 136, which is a nice stretch. Generally when I'm capable of fingering the patterns two different ways, I go through both ways for completeness' sake. So, I'd finger the first fret with my index finger, the third fret with -either my middle or ring finger, and the sixth fret with my pinky. Fun stuff.

And also, yeah, chromatics aren't the end-all-be-all so don't shut everything out just so you can be a chromatic zombie.
i almost never practice without watching tv or a movie or something else, and i'm awesome at teh guitarz. Tv doesn't stop you from working on finger independence, or supportive fingering, or scales, or sweeping, or galloping. You can practice almost anything while watching tv. I've put in thousands of hours of practice in front of a tv lol
Quote by eddievanzant
i almost never practice without watching tv or a movie or something else, and i'm awesome at teh guitarz. Tv doesn't stop you from working on finger independence, or supportive fingering, or scales, or sweeping, or galloping. You can practice almost anything while watching tv. I've put in thousands of hours of practice in front of a tv lol

Amen ;D
Quote by eddievanzant

You're probably incredibly sloppy then.
Quote by Alter-Bridge

Oh yeah bud, I know, im not gonna practice chromatics all day I just wanted to know if it helped.

Steve Vai's workout is on this website and its nearly all chromatic.
Last edited by Ritley at Nov 3, 2009,
Quote by eddievanzant

But it does stop you thinking and the second you're not thinking you stop benefiting from any practice. Your technique won't improve, you'll just get better at making all the mistakes you're already making.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by blue_strat
You're probably incredibly sloppy then.

nope, i have nearly perfect technique. i don't let myself slip at all. Perfect classical fretting position, independent fingers, supportive fingering, using the very tips of my fingers, not touching the fretboard at all, completely floating picking hand, very tip of the pick/finger, etc. Although this is my second time learning guitar lol.

I think it just depends on what you pay more attention to. If you pay more attention to the tv, then definitely don't bother practicing in front of it lol. I can be in a room with a tv or other people and still be completely focused on the guitar, and I feel better about it because no one accuses me of being overly obsessive and anti-social for locking myself in my room lol

On the other hand, I can't do anything else if I'm studying. I can't even put on music or I lose focus lol
Quote by eddievanzant
nope, i have nearly perfect technique

So... this "proof" thing is cool, right?

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by eddievanzant
nah. proof is for squares hahaha

That's what I thought. GTFO troll.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
oh i apologize for not having a webcam. like i said, if you can be in a room with a tv and still focus on guitar then it doesn't matter. if not, turn it off
The chromatic exercises are excellent for warming up and you can implement it on songs, so yes, you should practice them, although not for 3 hours daily.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS