Hey, in the market for a new guitar, and I've been looking at the Fender 72 thinline reissue, and I was just wondering what people's experiences with this guitar have been. I know it's produced in Mexico, and that the quality is questionable. Hell, they had two at GC, and one of them was just incredible, but the other one had frets poppin off, so I'm a tad skeptical of this guitar's durability...and yeah, just what have your experience been with it?
My Gear

Schecter C-1 Plus (Seymour Duncan JB bridge, Seymour Duncan '59 neck)

Bugera 333XL 212 Combo

MXR Carbon Copy
MXR ZW-45 Overdrive
BBE Sonic Stomp
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
First I've heard of the quality being questionable, and you shouldn't judge a guitar by a display model that little 13 year olds have abused the crap out of. I doubt they'd be as popular as they are at the moment if there was something horribly wrong with them.
wisdom
My Gear

Bugera 333XL 212 Combo

MXR Carbon Copy
MXR ZW-45 Overdrive
BBE Sonic Stomp
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
Those things are sex. If I had the money I'd go out and buy one tonight. I've played several, be they in guitar stores or friends, and I have always loved them. I'd recommend them.
My Gear

Fender MIM Telecaster
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
Ibanez PF Acoustic Electric

Vox AC4TV8
Crate FXT 65

Various pedals
Speaking from a bit of personal experience as I only picked up the guitar 3 weeks ago.

The quality differs from guitar to guitar, when I was shopping for mine, the first one I played was mediocre. Didn't like the wood they used under the finish, just looked poorly built. The next one I played blew it out of the water, picked it up lol.

Tone-wise it is fantastic. It is quite popular to change out the pots from the 250k's to 500k or even 1megs. I haven't done this and don't really intend to. The guitar is perfect for what I'm playing. It excels as a rhythm guitar and is perfect for adding texture to the overall sound (if playing in a group/band situation). Reacts very very nicely to low to mid gain (all that I use, perhaps someone who goes beyond this can fill the gaps).

Overall, a very nice guitar and very reasonably priced for the capabilities it has.

I recommend it if you find one that plays and feels how you want it to.
aite, thanks for the advice guys
My Gear

Bugera 333XL 212 Combo

MXR Carbon Copy
MXR ZW-45 Overdrive
BBE Sonic Stomp
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
I really like them. I played one at a guitar shop a couple of years ago and was very impressed. It's got a tone all of its own and is a very round sounding instrument. Go for it.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
The MIM 72 Thinlines I have played were excellent guitars, I would honestly buy one today if I had the cash. With made in mexicos you have to shop around, some are poor-decent and others can be fantastic tour quality instruments. So just keep playing them in different stores and find the one you connect with and snag it.
MIM Fender Telecaster
SX GG1 Junior (Les Paul Special clone)
Dillion Canada DXC 58 (DC Les Paul Junior)
Fender Joe Strummer Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Special
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
the neck, the neck!! IT FEELS LIKE BUTTER.

velvety and great, or maybe the one I played the other day was just awesome ... definitely look further into the thinline tele (Y) if you're not used to a tele, it could be a bother, but then again they're not too conventional.

good luck!
I have one and i can say that its absolutely amazing. Best money ive ever spent. Versatile, the necks amazing, and its very sexy. I would totally reccomend it
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10