Poll: I think
Poll Options
View poll results: I think
A well-written album can definately makeup for production flaws
30 79%
A well produced album can definately make up for writing flaws
8 21%
Voters: 38.
I've been listening to Devin Townsend's Ziltoid the Omniscient for a couple of weeks now, and I've noticed it isn't nearly as well produced as many other metal albums out there. However, it is still insanely popular.
I propose that an album that is written well will make up for any recording/producing flaws it has, and much better than a poorly written album will make up by having awesome production.

does anyone agree, or am I alone with this?
Kinda...but not really. Production SHOULD be more of a polish, but that's not the way our ears work. We'll want to listen to something that is immaculately produced over something that is recorded through 1 mic and mixed in a rush.
totally.

Take Duke Ellington.

Jk thats like 80 years old. But still, recording sucks (compared to now) but it still sounds great.

Or for a more modern example, ISIS' album Celestial is easily one of my favourite metal albums ever, and the recording isn't that great, but it somehow gives the music so much more character.

If Celestial had super high-quality recording I wouldn't like it nearly as much.
Both, to an extent.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
Yes.

Edit: I mean your not alone. lol.
"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe." - Frank Zappa
Last edited by GuitarFretteret at Nov 1, 2009,
There's ONE THING you'll need to make it in music - we call it "A SONG". If you can come up with "A Song" everything else really won't matter...
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Quote by CoreysMonster
I've been listening to Devin Townsend's Ziltoid the Omniscient for a couple of weeks now, and I've noticed it isn't nearly as well produced as many other metal albums out there. However, it is still insanely popular.
I propose that an album that is written well will make up for any recording/producing flaws it has, and much better than a poorly written album will make up by having awesome production.

does anyone agree, or am I alone with this?

that album, though may not be the HIGHEST standard, still is of really good quality (i mean he recorded it in his basement I belive!) theres a limit going either way. if theres a really good song but you cant hear anythign because of the crappy production you wont listen to it. contrary, if theres a bad song but excellent production you still wont listen to it, becasue you dont like it. it can go either way to an extent.
Hm, I think it all just depends on the person. I really agree with you, though. Personally, production has never meant so much to me that it makes or breaks anything that I listen to . Some of my favorite music is very rough and nearly unproduced, but I also love lush production once in a while. The most important thing is the actual music, I think!
absolutely, it doesn't work the other way though, as the saying goes you can't polish a turd.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
i absolutely agree. Although some polish and punch would have done ziltoid well, I still enjoy it to an nth degree.

infact a lot of my favorite songs/albums have particularly bad recording quality, but it doesn't take away any of its appeal to me.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
I think as long as a song is mixed well enough all of the nice sheen is not as needed if the songs are written well. A well written song will get you farther than flawless production. Look at Neil Young and Bob Dylan. They can't sing a lick at times but there is just something about their writing that makes them super popular. Up until the last album the Black Keys have written all of their music in their basement, empty warehouses, churches, etc. You don't need a million dollar studio for a decent recording. Also, there is something about tape that lends itself to a great feel (rock until the 80s) compared to the Digital realm. We are always trying to get a vintage tone with our computers.

Lank
My Gear:
Guitars: Vintage LP, Martin DX-1, Epi Viola Bass,
Amps: Marshall JMD501
Effects: Empty Set right now
Well, I think it can go either way. Metallica's ...And Justice For All wasn't produced very well, but I still listen to it fairly regularly due to the quality of the songs, whereas Godsmack's IV was produced very well, and some of the less great songs still sound great.
As long as the melody's good, it's a great album.
Listening to earlier demos of my favorite bands, such as Weezer's Kitchen Tapes, they sound great if not greater than the actual album.

Maybe I just like that under-produced sound.
Quote by Alex Vik
Well, I think it can go either way. Metallica's ...And Justice For All wasn't produced very well, but I still listen to it fairly regularly due to the quality of the songs, whereas Godsmack's IV was produced very well, and some of the less great songs still sound great.

Speaking of Metallica...Death Magnetic has some seriously awful clipping. What is the deal with big name metal bands and bad production? Metallica and now Slayer (as of tomorrow...) have had terrible production and tone on their most recent albums.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
Quote by no.mop
Speaking of Metallica...Death Magnetic has some seriously awful clipping. What is the deal with big name metal bands and bad production? Metallica and now Slayer (as of tomorrow...) have had terrible production and tone on their most recent albums.

Yeah, I don't know what's wrong with Rick. He's normally a good producer, but he's really messing up with the metal albums.
A polished turd is still a turd.

An unpolished diamond is still a diamond.
Quote by ascend
A polished turd is still a turd.

An unpolished diamond is still a diamond.

But the fact remains - a turd CAN be polished - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBj6PonX14A

I think to some small extent it can work both ways.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
The Second Stage Turbine Blade by Coheed and Cambria

Case in point.

However, a really well produced album can still be listenable even if the quality is abominable.
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
Some of my all-time favorite albums have sub-par production.

Since And Justice for All has already been mentioned, I have to give a shout out to Lunar Strain by In Flames. Pretty harsh sounding guitars compared to the other albums, but the material on it is pure gold. In fact, the production even adds a bit of character to it IMO.

I definitely don't think super slick production can save sub-par material though. Give me good tuneage if I can only have one!
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff