Specifically valve amps.

Can you layer overdrive pedals on top of them?
Like (hypothetically speaking) if I used a TS-9, ZW-44 and an OD-3, would they layer okay? Or would they just sound horrible?

I'm thinking of buying a load of overdrive and distortion pedals and then a few single channel valve amps, so I can have a variety of tones.

Cheers.
Quote by santa_man99
THANK you. I love you forever.

Quote by DrFuzz
Why are you researching for Christmas? It's only Ma- HOLY CRAP WHERE'S 2009 GONE!?!?!?

Quote by ilikepirates
You're right, that is weird. You win.
Yes, you can, but it depends on what you are trying to do. Can you describe how you want to run all the amps together?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Maybe with a little dialing in you could make layering OD's and distortions sound good. But another problem with that is buying a bunch of dirt pedals could get a little expensive.
Keeping it real since '92
I don't want to run like, a tiny terror, a little giant and a HT-5 all at once, again, hypothetically.

I just want to have a choice of different amps and pedals, dependent on gigs.

Just wondering if having a single channel amp and then layering amounts of OD/DS on top of it would work, for varying levels of gain.

Like, 0 on for clean, 1 on for dirty clean, 2 on for rhythm and 3 for lead tone, for example.

Just wondering if varying levels of transparency between pedals but muddy my tone somewhat?
Quote by santa_man99

Quote by DrFuzz
Why are you researching for Christmas? It's only Ma- HOLY CRAP WHERE'S 2009 GONE!?!?!?

Quote by ilikepirates
why not just get a 2 channel amp and a footswitch to change the channel from clean to overdrive then use an overdrive or distortion pedal to push it a bit more?
Quote by tom708
why not just get a 2 channel amp and a footswitch to change the channel from clean to overdrive then use an overdrive or distortion pedal to push it a bit more?

To be different

But no, I haven't found an amp in my price range that I like the Distortion sound of.
Quote by santa_man99

Quote by DrFuzz

Quote by ilikepirates
So you don't mean having them all on at once, just a bunch of different pedals for different things?

yes, it would work, but it would be expensive. Better to just get 1-2 pedals (maybe low gain overdrive and then a higher gain distortion) and just adjust those two.

I don't think it would ruin your tone to have that many pedals in your chain, but I don't really know, I only have two.
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
Quote by Chikao42
To be different

But no, I haven't found an amp in my price range that I like the Distortion sound of.

have you thought about getting an EQ pedal n some new pickups? it might change the sound.
I'm on about running OD boxes and stuff simultaneously.

At the minute, I've got a BOSS DS-1, DN-2 and then the ZW-44. I'm looking at getting the Blackstar HT-Distortion, coz it looks sexy. Haha.
Quote by santa_man99

Quote by DrFuzz

Quote by ilikepirates
Quote by tom708
have you thought about getting an EQ pedal n some new pickups? it might change the sound.

I've got an EQ pedal, never thought of that.

And I'm running a JEM 555, I love the sound of the evos.
Quote by santa_man99

Quote by DrFuzz

Quote by ilikepirates
how about a multi effects unit thingy, like the line 6 floor pod or something
Quote by Chikao42
I don't want to run like, a tiny terror, a little giant and a HT-5 all at once, again, hypothetically.

Just wondering if having a single channel amp and then layering amounts of OD/DS on top of it would work, for varying levels of gain.

Like, 0 on for clean, 1 on for dirty clean, 2 on for rhythm and 3 for lead tone, for example.

Just wondering if varying levels of transparency between pedals but muddy my tone somewhat?

It's perfectly fine to do this. It's called stacking.
Stay away from PODs. They WILL ruin the sound of your amp.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
If you run probably any more than 2 OD's at once, you will get massive amounts of feedback, and it will sound pretty bad. Roll your volume back for cleans and crunch, set the amp for a rhythm tone and use an OD/Boost to get a lead tone.
I have a single channel amp, but I can have THREE different tones from it, without altering anything at the amp.

Normal: My settings on the amp, guitar volume up.
Clean: My settings on the amp, guitar volume rolled down.
Lead/Boost: My settings on amp, OD pedal on.

It's simple to get these "basic" tones without switching pedals for everything. Also I find buying amps/pedals to replicate other artists tones a little boring, manipulation your own tone to fit is much more personal and fun!

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
If you play a single channel valve amp you learn to use your guitar volume, your pickup selector and picking dynamics - three OD pedals is a pretty daft idea.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
You can do that.

Just set one OD as your base for the tone and use the other OD to boost the gain. Running 2 would most likely be enough though. Layering 3 would make me think that you would get a lot of unwanted noise.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by Chikao42
Specifically valve amps.

Can you layer overdrive pedals on top of them?
Like (hypothetically speaking) if I used a TS-9, ZW-44 and an OD-3, would they layer okay? Or would they just sound horrible?

I'm thinking of buying a load of overdrive and distortion pedals and then a few single channel valve amps, so I can have a variety of tones.

Cheers.

A few single channel amps + a few pedals = big $$$$$$
I wouldn't recommend that, if they are combos then carrying them around is gonna be a pain, if its a head then you'll need cabs to go with each head which is still harder to transport unless you have a truck .

Running a lot of OD's at the same time through just one amp is gonna create noise alot. An EQ + OD or OD + OD or DIST + OD should be fine in front of a single amp.

Remember though, most single channel amps are capable of a wide variety of sounds, although they all cant be accessed at a press of a footswitch, but then again you wouldn't be shifting your style dramatically so many times during a song that you would need a whole different bunch of pedals to tap on, learning to use the volume & tone knob on your guitar itself is important when dealing with single channel amps. Also you could try having a different amp for clean sounds & A/B it with a single channel amp
Another thing, usually when i see pros using a single channel amp, they often have more than one guitar which they tend to change after a song to get a different tone. Its a little easier that way...
Quote by Chikao42

Just turn the guitar's volume knob down for clean, a bit more up for some drive, more up for rythm and all the way up for the lead tone (just boost it if you don't have enough gain).
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
cascading gain structures is risky business, but some work particularly well together. yours do not. sorry. too many tone eaters and bad buffers in the mix.

a good ts9 clone followed by a germanium od have worked particularly well with less than outrageous settings... might also consider a quality clean boost or a transparent compressor. an eq is also not a bad idea at all.

you'll eventually regret this approach, however, wising you would have just saved for a nice two channel amp and one OD you really love (maybe two, but to be used independantly), and MAYBE a compressor and/or EQ if you decide you need it later.
Mixing dirt pedals can be done and with great results. It takes a certain degree of tweaking, though, and searching for what fits your mix in the best possible way.
^ agreed.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?