i wrote this two riffs a few days ago and finished changing one of them today. I like how they came out. any comments? suggestions? criticisms? i know they are short.
Attachments:
new.gp5
new.gp4
new2.gp5
new2.gp4
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
I really didn't like the first one; there really wasn't anything musical or melodic about it.

The second one was pretty cool though; the open note on the high e didn't really fit though, in my opinion.
can you elaborate on what exactly isn't musical or melodic about it? lots of people seem to say that this music isn't melodic and I don't really understand where you are coming from.

and I think the high d in the second riff is what makes that movement so cool, its just a minor third down and also acts as a leading tone
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
Last edited by pmeg568c at Nov 1, 2009,
It's plenty melodic, in the 12-tone, serialism kind of way.

I like that first one for it's groove and menace. It's very taunting and evil. Sounds a bit like Mario Bros though. It's something that would be played in the castle levels. Or during a fight with Bowser.

2nd one is good. I do prefer the 1st one, but the somber tone in this one gets to me.
the second one sounds like straigth from a horror movie
its nice
first one didnt like it much
First one were from bottom of my bunghole, never mix weird and melodic music that's my opinion!

Second one.. meh, it had nice melodies but last two (or something) bars were shitty.
Sounded little bit like bodom for me.. Dunno why xDDD
Well, i didn't really like the first one or the second one, but i can see that you have some good ideas. I know dissonance is a real technique, and it produces some real good results sometimes, but i just feel that this is too dissonant. Perhaps you could make it sound cleaner?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1224775
There's a special sex move I do called the Charizard.
It's where you light the girls pubes, then put it out with your cum and run around the room flapping your arms screaming, "You don't have enough badges to train me!"
Quote by xbitmetal
First one were from bottom of my bunghole, never mix weird and melodic music that's my opinion!

Second one.. meh, it had nice melodies but last two (or something) bars were shitty.
Sounded little bit like bodom for me.. Dunno why xDDD

damn dude you could be a little less of an ass haha.

explain to me why you should never mix weird and melodic? you people tell me oh man you cant do that, but it sounds fine. the pompous confident musician in me tells me to say that some of you just dont understand if because you aren't used to hearing a-tonal music.

and i think the end of that riff sounds a lot like converge, thats kind of what I was going for.

a-tonal does NOT equal dissonant. The favorite part of those two riffs for me is those last two bars that people seem to hate. Its just a bunch of jazz chords thrown together. do you people hate jazz? The majority of modern jazz is full bodied dissonant chords
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
The first one is quite dissonant, as people have already said, but that's obviously what you were going for. I think it would work really well in the context of a mathcore song, ala Dillinger Escape Plan.

The second one is better, in my opinion. Just a nice heavy evil-sounding riff! It would be perfect for an intro.
Quote by pmeg568c

explain to me why you should never mix weird and melodic? you people tell me oh man you cant do that, but it sounds fine. the pompous confident musician in me tells me to say that some of you just dont understand if because you aren't used to hearing a-tonal music.

and i think the end of that riff sounds a lot like converge, thats kind of what I was going for.

a-tonal does NOT equal dissonant. The favorite part of those two riffs for me is those last two bars that people seem to hate. Its just a bunch of jazz chords thrown together. do you people hate jazz? The majority of modern jazz is full bodied dissonant chords

Sorry for being an ass, mate .

I don't like weird and melodic music mixer, I don't really know why. Dissonance is up to skill, If you're not good with it, then it wont be listenable. If you know what you're doing, conratz!
its alright just choose some other words besides "shitty" haha. i get where you are coming from though.
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
I like the first. I don't like the prettiness of the little A-A-D in the first measure. it just didn't fit and the open high D worked but they way it's in the music just seems isolated. however letting everything ring will probably sound like crap last chord was eh

I can see where you're coming from with the second, but it's just no't getting there for me.
I think you've got a good idea. but certain things just need to be tweaked. I can't put my finger on it though so don't ask for specifics
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
A-A-D? im confused as to what you are talking about, and how something could just "not fit" when it sounds fine. there is no open high d in the first riff. letting everything ring actually makes it sound very full and ambient as well as dark and melodic
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
Quote by pmeg568c
. Its just a bunch of jazz chords thrown together. do you people hate jazz? The majority of modern jazz is full bodied dissonant chords

I don't really agree but in jazz you can properly hear all the different tones of the chords, when you play jazz with two harmonized distorted guitars it does not sound good imo

If you created a drum track for number two it would be better, atonal or dissonant it doesn't hold up a rhythm especially well on its own, I think the guitars are too big, there's no room for bass. Take away some of the unnecessary notes or possibly split the chords up between guitars so that you don't just have two rhythm guitars playing full distorted chords.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
i dont see why you can't hear all the notes in those chords. you sure can. and they voice lead as well. The guitars aren't harmonized, I just like to use very dense chords.
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
Quote by pmeg568c
A-A-D? im confused as to what you are talking about, and how something could just "not fit" when it sounds fine. there is no open high d in the first riff. letting everything ring actually makes it sound very full and ambient as well as dark and melodic

oh I switched around the two riffs.

and the A-A-D would be the 4-0-0 you've got in riff 2 I guess it is. 3rd beat of the first measure.
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
I liked both riffs, but inevitably playing it with unison distorted/overdriven guitars tonally sounds awful. I tried it with various other instruments and it does sound better cleaner. But its personal preference.
My "Rig":

Fender American Telecaster
Boss OD-2
EHX Small Clone
EHX SMM avec HAZARAI
alright man maybe i'll record it quickly when i get home. i promise you it doesn't sound tonally awful. you can't play it with a lot of distortion, they aren't metal riffs, i play with a normal amount of gain heh
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
Quote by pmeg568c

explain to me why you should never mix weird and melodic? you people tell me oh man you cant do that, but it sounds fine. the pompous confident musician in me tells me to say that some of you just dont understand if because you aren't used to hearing atonal music.

atonal does NOT equal dissonant. The favorite part of those two riffs for me is those last two bars that people seem to hate. Its just a bunch of jazz chords thrown together. do you people hate jazz? The majority of modern jazz is full bodied dissonant chords

Most people don't see it that way. But most people don't understand the core mechanics of music.

Tone clusters may sound like an ear-raping to some people, but they have plenty of equally consonant and dissonant values.
I would like to think there is more to music than just a polarity of opposing harmonic values. Seems too, cliche. And trite.
Love the dissonant mood in both songs.
Especially the first one! could become something very nice!

the second one is evil but i'm more into the first one.
Maybe you can work it out as a mathcore song?

anyway good luck with it.

First: 7,5/10
second : 7/10

C4C
here
Esp ltd M-1000 deluxe stblck EMG
Epiphone LP standard EMG 81/85
keiper les paul stock
Bugera 333 XL 120w head
H&K attax 100 combo
Boss me-50
ive made up some stuff to the first riff that you have made, but i have no clue on how to get up on UG, can anyone please tell me?
Quote by voleurz
stick it in the butt and pee
if you go to post reply and scroll to the bottom it says something like manage attachments and you can upload stuff from there
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
I really like both of them. I love how your harmony isn't conventional. It's great to see people writing music that on first listen makes you go wtf. This is good stuff, I could see how some of these people wouldn't like it because this kind of harmonic complexity is sort of a taste you have to acquire, but I for one love it and it would be great if you could get make this into a full song and record it, I'd listen
Quote by TDG Tabs
ive made up some stuff to the first riff that you have made, but i have no clue on how to get up on UG, can anyone please tell me?

Do what pmeg568c said; zip it up (unless it's just 1 file that's on the whitelist) with something like 7zip or WinRAR, then upload it using Manage Attachments.
Or upload them to Mediafire and post the link here.
yea, i think i am going to put the second riff at the end of an almost completely song. i had another breakdown thing in mind but i like the new one better and its in the same key so it should work. thanks man.
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob